A Virus has taken over my admin permissions and Malwarebytes is not detect

Go to solution Solved by Maurice Naggar,

Hello.   I think we need to sort of de-couple different things here.

The USB-thumb drive will be over-written when you do the build of the Media Creation tool onto it.

Is this USB brand new and empty ?   or do you have stuff on it ?   if the latter, you want to make a copy of those files somewhere else because it will be over-written

32 bit / 64-bit does not pertain to the USB-thumb drive.   A USB drive can be formatted in different formats, such as NTFS or FAT32

The Windows on this  pc is 64-bit    and that is what is important to keep in mind.

What step are you at ?   and just what is not clear to you at this point?

I put some files in my Usb Drive but I can remove them, its nothing important. I will do the Media creation tool in my Usb drive but, I feel risky about it as in: Will it delete my downloads, documents, and other important stuff if I repair? And what format does the Usb drive need to be formatted to in order to work with my computer?

Save whatever files / documents you had on the USB   to some other place.

The Media Creation tool, as I noted before, need to over-write , or rather, put all of its content on the USB.   ( thus displacing old contents )

Before running the Media Creation step,  take a couple of minutes and Reformat the USB , a quick reformat, as a NTFS format.

Then you do the steps to create the Media Creation tool.

as to the repair-install,  I would again, suggest you read all the way thru the article  about keeping all prior files and stuff   that is currently on the main system disc.

That is to say, you will have options to retain all your files, documents, apps.

• Like 1

Once after the repair-update procedure is all done and completed......you can then Format the USB   and then use it as you wish.

It would be a handy thing to save the Media Creation tool because it can be used in many ways.   One of them being as a tool to be used in case of emergency to get into Windows Recovery environment,  for example, in case that Windows could not be started normally.   That is to say,  the MCT  can be a lifesaver.

Just mentioning that.

• Like 1

Hi @Kennny

Please I implore you to read all of the article at Tenforums.  Making the creation on USB of the Media Creation tool is just one step.

After the making of the MCT on the thumb drive,  and when ready,   once after you click the Accept button,  and you click on" Upgrade this PC Now "

the end result will be a updated Windows operating system on your main system drive     (  NOT the USB at all)

That is to emphasize,  that Windows will be on your C drive    ( just as before  )   and ( NOT on the USB).

After all this is done,  and all finished, you can just put away  ( remove ) the USB

That is excellent news.   Bravo.   I would request one last run of the SecurityCheck tool, please.

Right-click  with your mouse on the Securitycheck.exe  and select "Run as administrator"   and reply YES to allow to run & go forward
Wait for the scan to finish. It will open in a text file named SecurityType.txt. Close the file.  Attach it with your next reply.
You can find this file in a folder called SecurityCheck, C:\SecurityCheck\SecurityCheck.txt

• Solution

Bravo !  I notice that the Windows Microsoft Defender Antivirus is running and enabled.   YAY

I see that this Windows has Microsoft Edge v.86.0.622.38 , which is the latest version that is on Windows Version 2004 & 20H2

That is a long way around of reading tea leaves & knowing that this pc now has the latest Windows Version.    Bravo.

Your action deserves the dancing icons    :bananas:          :guitar:     

One of the next things you want to do is, To check and insure that the Windows setting for the System Restore Service is ON.   .   That is to mean, insure it is  Enabled

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/99782-enable-disable-system-restore-windows.html

2nd, thing, Make a new System Restore save point

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4571-create-system-restore-point-windows-10-a.html

3rd, at your next chance, Make a Backup of this system to local external storage media.    Backup is your best friend.

{  that 16GB flash-drive would not be nearly anywhere near what is needed for a full backup.   That USB you used to build the MCT tool   you can reformat, if you want, to use for other purposes....if you so decide}

Some cleanups on the tools we used on this case:

To remove the FRST64  tool & its work files, do this.  Go to your  Downloads folder.  Do a RIGHT-click on FRST64.exe & select RENAME & then change it to UNINSTALL.exe .
Then run that ( double click on it)  to begin the cleanup proceed.

Delete the  file  securitycheck.exe

Delete the files FSS.exe

Delete the downloaded ESET  file     "esetonlinescanner.exe"

Delete KVRT.exe

Delete msert.exe

If you have any questions, or need something else, let me know  prior to my closing the case.

who.jpg.91c9a926b45efe25085bad3198c5f56d.jpg

Edited by Maurice Naggar
  • Like 1

I am very happy to know that this pc has the latest Windows 10 version,  and, is in a good state.   Herewith, some tips on security best practices.

Backup is your best friend.  Keep backups of your system on a regular basis to offline storage & keep those safe. https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/136226-backup-software/

It is not enough to just have a security program installed. Each pc user needs to practice daily safe computer and internet use.

Best  practices & malware prevention:
Follow best practices when browsing the Internet, especially on opening links coming from untrusted sources.
First rule of internet safety: slow down & think before you "click".
Never click links without first hovering your mouse over the link and seeing if it is going to an odd address ( one that does not fit or is odd looking or has typos).

Free games & free programs are like "candy". We do not accept them from "strangers".

Never open attachments that come with unexpected ( out of the blue ) email no matter how enticing.
Never open attachments from the email itself. Do not double click in the email. Always Save first and then scan with antivirus program.

Pay close attention when installing 3rd-party programs. It is important that you pay attention to the license agreements and installation screens when installing anything off of the Internet. If an installation screen offers you Custom or Advanced installation options, it is a good idea to select these as they will typically disclose what other 3rd party software will also be installed.
Take great care in every stage of the process and every offer screen, and make sure you know what it is you're agreeing to before you click "Next".

Use a Standard user account rather than an administrator-rights account when "surfing" the web.
See more info on Corrine's SecurityGarden Blog http://securitygarden.blogspot.com/p/blog-page_7.html
Don't remove ( or change )  your current login. Just use the new Standard-user-level one for everyday use while on the internet.

Keep your system and programs up to date. Several programs release security updates on a regular basis to patch vulnerabilities. Keeping your software patched up prevents attackers from being able to exploit them to drop malware.

For other added tips, read "10 easy ways to prevent malware infection"

I'm happy to have helped.  Stay safe.  I wish you all the best.   😎

Sincerely,

Maurice

Glad we could help.

If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this topic with your request.

This applies only to the originator of this thread. Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread.

Please review the following for Tips to help protect from infection

Thank you

• Like 1