Malwarebytes got automatically uninstalled

w10-64, mb4.1.2.73

Today, I tried to ran Malwarebytes after some months, and I found that this is not installed.

Though its Program Files folder with all files was there there was no start menu icon or program list entry for that.

I am sure I had not un-installed it

Then I installed the above version that installer was saved with me, and it duly installed and updated definitions and ran.

it reported some threats:

malware.jpg.9fec76aab7970069f50cbd6376d271c0.jpg

I have quarantined them all.

1. it is not giving option to remove/ delete threats++, it only quarantines them. Why so? I would have liked to delete all these, no point in quarantining.

Please provide option to delete threats right there.

2. Could you give some insights how it could have got uninstalled? I had not done so. I am particularly worried if any of the above threats/ pup have the power to deactivate or even uninstall malwarebytes.

Thanks.

Greetings,

Items placed in quarantine are rendered inoperable so they cannot do any harm to your system.  Malwarebytes always places items in quarantine by default in case there is any sort of issue such as a false positive (FP) or a problem where the system or an installed application is broken by removing the items so that they can be easily restored from quarantine if needed.  You can always visit the Quarantine tab and delete any items permanently from there if you wish to do so.

As for what happened to your Malwarebytes installation, I'm not certain, however it is possible that at some point it tried to update to a newer version and the install did not complete fully, resulting in some of the shortcuts and registry entries being removed, however there is no way to know for certain.  The free version has no way to protect itself against being removed since it has no active protection, however the Premium version has a full self-defense driver to defend itself against attacks and threats.

With all of that said, I'd recommend performing a clean install just to make certain that there are no further issues with your installation of the software.  It would also be a good idea to perform another scan after you do so just to make sure that no threats remain on the system:

1. Download and run the Malwarebytes Support Tool
  2. Accept the EULA and click Advanced tab on the left (not Start Repair)
  3. Click the Clean button, and allow it to restart your system and then reinstall Malwarebytes, either by allowing the tool to do so when it offers to on restart, or by downloading and installing the latest version from here

Please let us know how it goes and if you encounter any further issues.

Thanks