Anti-Exploit blocking Word Documents

DarthVitrial

34 minutes ago, curacaojay said:

I too am having this problem with Excel not opening files. If I turn off Real-Time Protection Exploit Protection, it seems to work fine. Running the latest version as of today.

Open Malwarebytes and navigate to settings by clicking the small gear icon in the upper right, then select the Security sub-tab and scroll down to the Exploit Protection section and make sure the option to block penetration testing attacks is set to Off (it should be by default, however it's a known issue that some defaults are not configured properly on some installations), then click the Advanced settings button and click on the Restore Defaults button at the bottom of the advanced settings window.  Once that's done, wait approximately 30 seconds to allow the protection to refresh itself, then test to see if the issue still occurs or not.

Please let us know how it goes.

Thanks

11 minutes ago, guitareth said:

Ridiculous that this issue has not been resolved by Malwarebytes after all this time 😒

The Office program issue is resolved with the current release version as long as the option to block penetration testing attacks is set to Off (it should be by default)

Have you checked for updates today?

Edited by Porthos

1 minute ago, Porthos said:

the option to block penetration testing attacks is set to Off (it should be by default

The Office program issue is resolved with the current release version as long as the option to block penetration testing attacks is set to Off (it should be by default)

Have you checked for updates today?

No. Sorry just assumed not fixed yet when someone was still reporting the problem.

12 minutes ago, guitareth said:

Search my posts and you'll see that I reported I was suffering this problem in this thread, and in another thread specifically about the problem with Excel files.

You only posts unless you have a different user account are from today in this topic starting with the one I first quoted. All of your other posts are from 2010 .

2020-10-28_17h50_49.png

4 hours ago, Porthos said:

Open Malwarebytes and navigate to settings by clicking the small gear icon in the upper right, then select the Security sub-tab and scroll down to the Exploit Protection section and make sure the option to block penetration testing attacks is set to Off (it should be by default, however it's a known issue that some defaults are not configured properly on some installations), then click the Advanced settings button and click on the Restore Defaults button at the bottom of the advanced settings window.  Once that's done, wait approximately 30 seconds to allow the protection to refresh itself, then test to see if the issue still occurs or not.

Please let us know how it goes.

Thanks

Well it appears that my machine had a BSOD while I was away. I have logged back in after the BSOD recovered and now my problem is gone. Incidentally I did check these settings as you suggested and they were set as default like you indicated.

Not sure why this is functioning now but would not work earlier today. I had updated my version to the latest as per my post above. Even after doing that and after a reboot, the problem persisted. It wasnt until the BSOD and subsequent reboot that everything is working now.

Sorry to dredge up this issue and thanks to all for their replies tonight.

image.png

9 hours ago, Porthos said:

You only posts unless you have a different user account are from today in this topic starting with the one I first quoted. All of your other posts are from 2010 .

2020-10-28_17h50_49.png

Oops I see what's happened. For these most recent responses I logged in on my phone and have used an old username. You will find my recent posts about this issue against username Abnet.