Safeframe.googlesyndication.com Download Popup

Has anyone else been getting this popup recently, asking "Do you want to allow downloads on XXXXXX.safeframe.googlesyndication." 

I've encountered this type of popup on other sites before, but this one appears to be different, as those I've encountered before have specific information related to those sites, but this one is generic. Also, it seems to be following me around to other websites as well.

As with similar popups on my iPhones, I've immediately quit Safari before going any further. I ran Malwarebytes afterwards, and it indicates no issues, but I was curious as to just what this is and what potential problems it may pose.

That all sounds normal to me, but I don't really know your  setup.

What macOS are you running, what browser and version are you seeing this in? Are you running a third party firewall and what browser extensions / add-ons do you have installed? Do you have browser preferences set to alert you to fraudulent web sites?

Here's what Apple has to say: https://support.apple.com/HT203987

Just had it happen again, and this time it started downloading a f.txt.js.download file without my permission.

I ran Malwarebytes afterwards, and it said there were no issues, and there was nothing in my extensions. Meanwhile, I dumped the partially loaded file into trash and immediately dumped it.

Any suggestions? This has got me spooked, now that it is downloading files without my permission.

If you have JavaScript turned on in your preferences, it isn't surprising that a js (javascript) file would be allowed to download to your computer. If you disallow javascript, it is quite likely that many websites would not work properly as javascript is widely used for important functions.

Where did you find the f.txt.js file? Next time you get one please send it to me in a PM before deleting it.

You said something about the popup looks different. Please take a screenshot of it and include it with your next reply.

I still need to know more about your setup to comment further.

Edited by alvarnell

I've been spending some time looking into what safeframe.googlesyndiation is all about. I'll start by assuring you that it has no association whatsoever with malware, rather it's a mechanism that's used by google to provide websites with safe advertising via Adsense

That being said, I can't think of any reason for you to be using that service unless you have a website hosted on your computer.

Edited by alvarnell

The file you posted here, when unzipped is zero bytes. And please don't post suspected malware here again. Either send it by Private Message (click on member name and then use the "Message" button) or post it to the Research Center "Newest Mac Threats" forum.

I'm afraid we are unable to provide additional help without having at least some of the information requested earlier. 

- What browser (and version) are you using.

- What extensions or add-ons do you have installed in that browser?

Broken code was my conclusion, as well.

I'm guessing that you probably accidentally approved a download at some point and Safari remembers that and allows them without asking now. To fix that open Safari Preferences->Websites and click on "Downloads" in the left hand "General" column. Now look for the "safeframe.googlesyndication.com" or perhaps just "googlesyndication.com" and click the "Remove" button.

• 4 months later...