Cannot install malwarebytes or any other av software & google searches being redirected

Hello there,

I'm new to this forum so I apologize in advance if I'm not following the rules properly.

It looks like I got bit by some sort of virus that won't allow me to run any sort of anti-spyware software. Furthermore google/yahoo seem to be redirecting me different websites. I've tried all of the antispyware programs....Malwarebytes, spybot, superantispyware...you name it. Most of them won't even install and if it looks like they're going to work they stop in about 5 seconds.

I tried following all of the procedures in the pinned forum named "Procedures to help resolve issues preventing MBAM from running". The first 3 were of no help and the 4th sounds exactly like what my problem is but my once again, the recommended scan would not work and disappeared after about a minute or so.

I noticed on other posts that a Win32Diag was recommended to start troubleshooting the problem. Once again I could not run this (I got an error). The log below is what I did get from it. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Log file at : C:\Users\mastevano\Desktop\Win32kDiag.txt

WARNING: Could not get backup privileges!

Searching 'C:\Windows'...

Found mount point : C:\Windows\AppPatch\Custom\Custom

Mount point destination : \Device\__max++>\^

Found mount point : C:\Windows\assembly\GAC_32\Microsoft.GroupPolicy.GpmgmtLib\2.0.0.0__31bf3856ad364e35\2.0.0.0__31bf3856ad364e35

Found mount point : C:\Windows\assembly\GAC_32\Microsoft.GroupPolicy.Private.GpmgmtpLib\2.0.0.0__31bf3856ad364e35\2.0.0.0__31bf3856ad364e35

Found mount point : C:\Windows\assembly\GAC_MSIL\Microsoft.GroupPolicy.GPOAdminGrid\2.0.0.0__31bf3856ad364e35\2.0.0.0__31bf3856ad364e35

Found mount point : C:\Windows\assembly\NativeImages_v2.0.50727_32\Temp\ZAP41EF.tmp\ZAP41EF.tmp

Found mount point : C:\Windows\assembly\NativeImages_v2.0.50727_32\Temp\ZAP5CA0.tmp\ZAP5CA0.tmp

Found mount point : C:\Windows\assembly\NativeImages_v2.0.50727_32\Temp\ZAPAD9C.tmp\ZAPAD9C.tmp

Found mount point : C:\Windows\assembly\NativeImages_v2.0.50727_32\Temp\ZAPD078.tmp\ZAPD078.tmp

Found mount point : C:\Windows\assembly\NativeImages_v2.0.50727_32\Temp\ZAPED1C.tmp\ZAPED1C.tmp

Found mount point : C:\Windows\assembly\temp\temp

Found mount point : C:\Windows\assembly\tmp\tmp

Found mount point : C:\Windows\CSC\v2.0.6\namespace\namespace

Cannot access: C:\Windows\CSC\v2.0.6\pq

ERROR OCCURRED!

------------------------------

Windows Version: Windows Vista SP1

Exception Code: 0xc0000005

Exception Address: 0x00d92415

Attempt to write to address: 0x00000000

Hello,

Thanks so much for helping out by the way. Here's what I get:

Volume in drive C has no label.

Volume Serial Number is 0FB7-359B

Directory of C:\Windows\System32

11/02/2006 04:46 AM 61,952 cngaudit.dll

1 File(s) 61,952 bytes

Directory of C:\Windows\winsxs\x86_microsoft-windows-cngaudit-dll_31bf3856ad364e35_6.0.6000.16386_none_e62d292932a96ce6

11/02/2006 04:46 AM 11,776 cngaudit.dll

1 File(s) 11,776 bytes

Total Files Listed:

2 File(s) 73,728 bytes

0 Dir(s) 15,934,676,992 bytes free

ECHO is off.

ECHO is off.

Directory of C:\Windows\System32

11/02/2006 04:46 AM 11,776 logevent.dll

1 File(s) 11,776 bytes

Total Files Listed:

1 File(s) 11,776 bytes

0 Dir(s) 15,934,672,896 bytes free

1. Please download The Avenger2 by Swandog46 to your Desktop.

• Right click on the Avenger.zip folder and select "Extract All..."
  • Follow the prompts and extract the avenger folder to your desktop

2. Copy all the text contained in the code box below to your Clipboard by highlighting it and pressing (Ctrl+C):

Files to move:
C:\Windows\System32\logevent.dll | C:\Windows\System32\cngaudit.dll

Note: the above code was created specifically for this user. If you are not this user, do NOT follow these directions as they could damage the workings of your system.

3. Now, open the avenger folder and start The Avenger program by clicking on its icon.

• Right click on the window under Input script here:, and select Paste.
  • You can also Paste the text copied to the clipboard into this window by pressing (Ctrl+V), or click on the third button under the menu to paste it from the clipboard.
  • Click on Execute
  • Answer "Yes" twice when prompted.

4. The Avenger will automatically do the following:

[*]It will Restart your computer. ( In cases where the code to execute contains "Drivers to Delete" or "Drivers to Disable", The Avenger will actually restart your system twice.)

[*]On reboot, it will briefly open a black command window on your desktop, this is normal.

[*]After the restart, it creates a log file that should open with the results of Avenger

Hey there....here's the avenger contents:

Logfile of The Avenger Version 2.0, © by Swandog46

http://swandog46.geekstogo.com

Platform: Windows Vista

Script file opened successfully.

Script file read successfully.

Backups directory opened successfully at C:\Avenger

Beginning to process script file:

Rootkit scan active.

No rootkits found!

File move operation "C:\Windows\System32\logevent.dll|C:\Windows\System32\cngaudit.dll" completed successfully.

Completed script processing.

Finished! Terminate.

Win32kDiag.txt log:

For some reason this scan doesn't seem to be working completely. The black dialog box opens and stays open, trying to do something however it seems to get stuck and I never get a text file with the log.

It keeps repeating:

Could not open reparse point C:\Windows\Software Distribution\Download and then a bunch of numbers/letters.

Should I still run Combofix??

HijackThis log:

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2

Scan saved at 7:33:03 PM, on 10/5/2009

Platform: Windows Vista SP1 (WinNT 6.00.1905)

MSIE: Internet Explorer v8.00 (8.00.6001.18813)

Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:

C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\WISPTIS.EXE

C:\Program Files\Common Files\microsoft shared\ink\TabTip.exe

C:\Windows\system32\Dwm.exe

C:\Windows\system32\taskeng.exe

C:\Windows\Explorer.EXE

C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\GrooveMonitor.exe

C:\Windows\System32\hkcmd.exe

C:\Windows\System32\igfxpers.exe

C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe

C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\Core\smax4pnp.exe

C:\Program Files\Windows Sidebar\sidebar.exe

C:\Windows\ehome\ehtray.exe

C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\GoogleToolbarNotifier.exe

C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\wmpnscfg.exe

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\ONENOTEM.EXE

C:\Windows\system32\igfxsrvc.exe

C:\Windows\ehome\ehmsas.exe

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Ink\InputPersonalization.exe

C:\Windows\system32\SearchFilterHost.exe

C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896

R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = *.local

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar,LinksFolderName =

O2 - BHO: AcroIEHelperStub - {18DF081C-E8AD-4283-A596-FA578C2EBDC3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelperShim.dll

O2 - BHO: Groove GFS Browser Helper - {72853161-30C5-4D22-B7F9-0BBC1D38A37E} - C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\GrooveShellExtensions.dll

O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - C:\Program Files\Google\Google Toolbar\GoogleToolbar_32.dll

O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Notifier BHO - {AF69DE43-7D58-4638-B6FA-CE66B5AD205D} - C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\5.3.4501.1418\swg.dll

O2 - BHO: Google Dictionary Compression sdch - {C84D72FE-E17D-4195-BB24-76C02E2E7C4E} - C:\Program Files\Google\Google Toolbar\Component\fastsearch_B7C5AC242193BB3E.dll

O3 - Toolbar: Google Toolbar - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - C:\Program Files\Google\Google Toolbar\GoogleToolbar_32.dll

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Windows Defender] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe -hide

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ufSeAgnt.exe] "C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\Internet Security\UfSeAgnt.exe"

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [GrooveMonitor] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\GrooveMonitor.exe"

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe Reader Speed Launcher] "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 9.0\Reader\Reader_sl.exe"

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [igfxTray] C:\Windows\system32\igfxtray.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HotKeysCmds] C:\Windows\system32\hkcmd.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Persistence] C:\Windows\system32\igfxpers.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\QTTask.exe" -atboottime

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] "C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe"

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [soundMAXPnP] C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\Core\smax4pnp.exe

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [sidebar] C:\Program Files\Windows Sidebar\sidebar.exe /autoRun

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ehTray.exe] C:\Windows\ehome\ehTray.exe

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [swg] "C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\GoogleToolbarNotifier.exe"

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [sUPERAntiSpyware] C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SUPERAntiSpyware.exe

O4 - Startup: OneNote 2007 Screen Clipper and Launcher.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\ONENOTEM.EXE

O4 - Global Startup: DVD Check.lnk = C:\Program Files\InterVideo\DVD Check\DVDCheck.exe

O4 - Global Startup: VPN Client.lnk = ?

O8 - Extra context menu item: Add to Google Photos Screensa&ver - res://C:\Windows\system32\GPhotos.scr/200

O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office12\EXCEL.EXE/3000

O9 - Extra button: Send to OneNote - {2670000A-7350-4f3c-8081-5663EE0C6C49} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office12\ONBttnIE.dll

O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: S&end to OneNote - {2670000A-7350-4f3c-8081-5663EE0C6C49} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office12\ONBttnIE.dll

O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office12\REFIEBAR.DLL

O16 - DPF: {8AD9C840-044E-11D1-B3E9-00805F499D93} - http://javadl-esd.sun.com/update/1.5.0/jin...indows-i586.cab

O16 - DPF: {CF40ACC5-E1BB-4AFF-AC72-04C2F616BCA7} (get_atlcom Class) - http://wwwimages.adobe.com/www.adobe.com/p...obat/nos/gp.cab

O16 - DPF: {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000} (Shockwave Flash Object) - http://fpdownload2.macromedia.com/get/shoc...ash/swflash.cab

O18 - Protocol: grooveLocalGWS - {88FED34C-F0CA-4636-A375-3CB6248B04CD} - C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\GrooveSystemServices.dll

O20 - Winlogon Notify: !SASWinLogon - C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SASWINLO.dll

O23 - Service: Andrea ADI Filters Service (AEADIFilters) - Andrea Electronics Corporation - C:\Windows\system32\AEADISRV.EXE

O23 - Service: Apple Mobile Device - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe

O23 - Service: Bonjour Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe

O23 - Service: Cisco Systems, Inc. VPN Service (CVPND) - Cisco Systems, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Cisco Systems\VPN Client\cvpnd.exe

O23 - Service: getPlus® Helper - NOS Microsystems Ltd. - C:\Program Files\NOS\bin\getPlus_HelperSvc.exe

O23 - Service: Google Software Updater (gusvc) - Google - C:\Program Files\Google\Common\Google Updater\GoogleUpdaterService.exe

O23 - Service: iPod Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe

O23 - Service: IviRegMgr - InterVideo - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InterVideo\RegMgr\iviRegMgr.exe

O23 - Service: Lavasoft Ad-Aware Service - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\AAWService.exe (file missing)

O23 - Service: Nero BackItUp Scheduler 4.0 - Nero AG - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Nero\Nero BackItUp 4\NBService.exe

O23 - Service: Trend Micro Central Control Component (SfCtlCom) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\Internet Security\SfCtlCom.exe

O23 - Service: Trend Micro Unauthorized Change Prevention Service (TMBMServer) - Trend Micro Inc. - C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\BM\TMBMSRV.exe

O23 - Service: Trend Micro Proxy Service (TmProxy) - Trend Micro Inc. - C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\Internet Security\TmProxy.exe

--

End of file - 6934 bytes

Please trying this command again

• Click on Start->Run, and copy-paste the following command (the bolded text) into the "Open" box, and click OK.
  • When it's finished, there will be a log called Win32kDiag.txt on your desktop.
  • Please open it with notepad and post the contents here.

"%userprofile%\desktop\win32kdiag.exe" -f -r

How is everything running?

Hello,

I tried rerunning win32kdiag but it seems to be doing the same thing. Ever since I ran Combofix google seems to be working correctly (I'm no longer being redirected) however it seems slower than usual.

I'm still unable to run any AV scans. I tried Sypbot and it shut itself down instead of running.

I am still not able to run Trend AV scans either.

One thing I forgot to mention is that when I ran combofix it alerted me that Trend Micro was still active. I was not able to get into Trend to disable it and ran the scan anyway.

Should I try some of this again in safe mode??

That's okay with win32diag.

You will need to uninstall and re-install both spybot and trendmicro. That should fix that issue. Lets run one final check.

Using Internet Explorer or Firefox, visit Kaspersky Online Scanner

1. Click Accept, when prompted to download and install the program files and database of malware definitions.

2. To optimize scanning time and produce a more sensible report for review:

• Close any open programs
  • Turn off the real time scanner of any existing antivirus program while performing the online scan. Click HERE to see how to disable the most common antivirus programs.

3. Click Run at the Security prompt.

The program will then begin downloading and installing and will also update the database.

Please be patient as this can take quite a long time to download.

• Once the update is complete, click on Settings.
  • Make sure these boxes are checked (ticked). If they are not, please tick them and click on the Save button:

• Spyware, adware, dialers, and other riskware
    • Archives
    • E-mail databases

[*]Click on My Computer under the green Scan bar to the left to start the scan.

[*]Once the scan is complete, it will display if your system has been infected. It does not provide an option to clean/disinfect. We only require a report from it.

[*]Do NOT be alarmed by what you see in the report. Many of the finds have likely been quarantined.

[*]Click View report... at the bottom.

[*] Click the Save report... button.

KasReport.png

[*] Change the Files of type dropdown box to Text file (.txt) and name the file KasReport.txt to save the file to your desktop so that you may post it in your next reply

Hmmm.....

I'm having problems running it. I keep getting an error that says:

"Launch of the Java application is interrupted! Please establish an uninterrupted Interconnect conncection for work with this program."

I only have access to wifi at home so I'm not sure if that's the issue or not.

Also, I unistalled and tried to reinstall Trend Micro AV and it didn't work again. Something I've been noticing is that at a certain point during AV installation, I get a message asking me if I should abort, retry or ignore. Next time I run across it I'll clarify it a little bit.

Thanks for all your help thus far btw. I really appreciate it.

I've been clicking ignore and what happens is it looks like it installs but then when I try to run it, it disappears right away. From that point on I am unable to run any AV software.

Should I uninstall Trend Micro and try to run combofix again since I was unable to disable Trend prior to running it last time??

I'll be unavailable tonight until about 9:30 central btw.

I uninstalled trend micro, ran combofix again and am now trying to reinstall trend micro av again. I was prompted with the same thing again...the exact message is:

"The installer has insufficent priviledges to modify this file: C\Program Files\Trend Micro\Internet Security\SfCtlCom.exe."

It gives me the option abort, retry or ignore. I run into a similar message when I try to install other AV software as well. Does that help at all?

Once it completes installing I'll let you know if it worked or not.

Nothing to do with the firewall.

Please download Inherit by sUBs and save it to your Desktop.

Go to Start ---> Run --> Type "%userprofile%\desktop\Inherit.exe" "C\Program Files\Trend Micro\Internet Security\SfCtlCom.exe"

and press Enter

You shouldn't receive any more permissions errors.

Also drag the desktop icon for Trend into Inherit.exe and an Ok prompt should appear. Then you should have access to it. Let me know otherwise.