Cannot install Malwarebytes - my temp folder is in RAM Disk

Hi.

I'm on Windows 8 with 32GB of RAM.

I setup 20GB as a RAM Disk for Windows Swap File and Temp files.

This has worked for 5+ years.

But I cannot install Malwarebytes, probably because of that.

It creates only two files in C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\

MBAMInstallerServices.exe

mbuns.exe

It also creates a service called MBAMInstallerService that points to my RAM Disk / Temp folder:

V:\TempFiles\User\MBAMInstallerService.exe

On reboot, my RAM Disk gets emptied, so this service disappears.

I have tried to run the MBAMInstallerService.exe file from within the install folder, and I have tried copying the file into the RAM Disk and running the service from there - it only restarts the system again without creating the rest of the files.

I have tried the MWB Clean tool, I have tried Safe Mode With Networking.

I'll try temporarily setting the temp folder back to C:, but I'd like to know if there is a better solution because I'd prefer not to have to do this every time I update MWB.

Thanks!

1 hour ago, semmelbroesel said:

I'll try temporarily setting the temp folder back to C:, but I'd like to know if there is a better solution because I'd prefer not to have to do this every time I update MWB.

That is what you will have to do. Malwarebytes does not play well with ramdisks.

I've had this RAM Disk for 5+ years. All of a sudden, there's a Malwarebytes update, and it completely stops working...

*sigh* Well, after changing my temp folder to a regular drive, I was able to install and run MWB again.

The app data folder is on a regular drive, so no problems there.

I do have to wonder what the idea is behind setting up a service that points towards a temp folder. Is that meant to get around malware that could detect MWB?

2 hours ago, semmelbroesel said:

I've had this RAM Disk for 5+ years.

There have been ramdisk issues since at least 2014 according to a quick forum search.