Beta upgrade to version 4.2.1.89

I had to restart unfortunately.  I suspect that if they'd actually use the installer to install itself rather than the existing instance/copy of MBAMService.exe and allow the app to fully unload/terminate during upgrades, that restarts would be required less frequently, however it's also kinda complicated given the nature of self-protection, and using the existing/whitelisted service for the install likely smooths over what would otherwise be a far more difficult process, but that's just conjecture on my part.

Edited by exile360
2 hours ago, Porthos said:

I did not have to restart. Might be because I had all programs and browsers closed during upgrade. Just a thought.

As did I.  Unfortunately a reboot was still required.

7 hours ago, exile360 said:

I had to restart unfortunately.  I suspect that if they'd actually use the installer to install itself rather than the existing instance/copy of MBAMService.exe and allow the app to fully unload/terminate during upgrades, that restarts would be required less frequently, however it's also kinda complicated given the nature of self-protection, and using the existing/whitelisted service for the install likely smooths over what would otherwise be a far more difficult process, but that's just conjecture on my part.

I updated 2 machines.  my laptop was required to restart.  My desktop was not required to restart.  Both were updated through the installer.

Just got the popup, install went fine, no issues. Installed on 3 computers, only the laptop from my wife had to restart; she had many programs open during install. On my desktop and laptop, no reboot required.

Thanks to the Malwarebytes team for this good work. Malwarebytes is getting stronger all the time against creepy insects on your system.

I got an error last night when shutting down my Satellite laptop running Windows 2004 build 19041.508 in Event Viewer. Should I be concerned.

Log Name:      System
Source:        Service Control Manager
Date:          9/11/2020 10:09:20 PM
Event ID:      7043
Task Category: None
Level:         Error
Keywords:      Classic
User:          N/A
Computer:      Username
Description:
The Malwarebytes Service service did not shut down properly after receiving a preshutdown control.
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
  <System>
    <Provider Name="Service Control Manager" Guid="{555908d1-a6d7-4695-8e1e-26931d2012f4}" EventSourceName="Service Control Manager" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="49152">7043</EventID>
    <Version>0</Version>
    <Level>2</Level>
    <Task>0</Task>
    <Opcode>0</Opcode>
    <Keywords>0x8080000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2020-09-12T02:09:20.9071021Z" />
    <EventRecordID>17382</EventRecordID>
    <Correlation ActivityID="{e2075ac8-88a7-0000-f375-07e2a788d601}" />
    <Execution ProcessID="832" ThreadID="2628" />
    <Channel>System</Channel>
    <Computer>Username</Computer>
    <Security />
  </System>
  <EventData>
    <Data Name="param1">Malwarebytes Service</Data>
    <Binary>4D00420041004D0053006500720076006900630065000000</Binary>
  </EventData>
</Event>

Edited by Hardhead

I will often exit Malwarebytes and wait for the service to terminate before shutting down just to avoid any potential hiccups.  I've also got verbose boot enabled and I've noted that Malwarebytes Service is running when Windows Updates are being processed on shutdown/restart, so if there's ever a problem updating Windows, it would be a good idea to kill Malwarebytes from running at startup and exiting it before shutting down to eliminate it as a possible cause (Microsoft's updates have notoriously had many such issues these days, so eliminating as many possible culprits is a good idea for stability).

• Thanks 2
17 minutes ago, exile360 said:

I will often exit Malwarebytes and wait for the service to terminate before shutting down just to avoid any potential hiccups.  I've also got verbose boot enabled and I've noted that Malwarebytes Service is running when Windows Updates are being processed on shutdown/restart, so if there's ever a problem updating Windows, it would be a good idea to kill Malwarebytes from running at startup and exiting it before shutting down to eliminate it as a possible cause (Microsoft's updates have notoriously had many such issues these days, so eliminating as many possible culprits is a good idea for stability).

I think the reason I was getting the mbam service error was because I had missed a scan and both were trying to update and scan at the same time and and with no SSD and only running a SATA drive was my previous issue. Just my thoughts though.