firewall recommendations?

neuro

i also rem kerio,i still have it on a disc free from a mag when i used to buy them.

about za thou,there auto update feture is more than anoying,you can no longer choose to maualy check for udates,if you do it still atuo checks and even then it doesnt allways do that right.

they said it was a security feture,i made a point off posting that za`s (free) firewall doesnt update on every reboot and it was anoying you couldnt turn this feture off,i was polite and made no remarks out off bounds,my post was to the point and not off track,i cant rem the full post in detail simply put i did point out this wasnt the greatest feture implemented in za.the post was delted,my only thoughts as to why was as it contridicted there reasons.

i never went back to cause troble,just noted that za`s free forum doesnt like being challenged.that post was made ages back and there program hasnt been updated since.

windows firewal only blocks incomming attacks and imo isnt a good firewall.

kav i`ve yet to try.i like nod32 its light and doesnt need much messing with.

however thats just a preferance,not a recomodation,sure it may not be the best in the world nor everyone`s choice.still its mine so i post it.

about za calling out i found this;

127.0.0.1 lockup.zonelabs.com wonder if thats a good idea?

Me=not surprised in the least :blink: . Hmm...sounds more like a reduction in choice, but maybe that's just me.

depends if they wipe out the pc tools name and rebrand everything then it will be a reduction but if they keep pc tools as a separate division then i dont think its a reduction

I installed Outpost Free a couple of days ago, and so far I really like it. It detects my home network (a known and ongoing problem with PCTools), it easily detects new internet connections and protects them immediately, and my system is stable and boots up quickly. No tech support for the free program, but the user forum is very good and responses are quick.

OP Free did have a minor bug and I initially uninstalled it when this first came up and I told tech support about it. They've actually contacted me about it, despite my not being entitled to tech support as a user of the free product. The bug is nothing major and something I wouldn't notice most of the time anyway.

I would, however, like to see a little more detail and options, so if all goes well for about a week or so, I just might go with the pro version, minus the antispyware and the web control (I already have software to monitor those things.)

Softpedia has a lot of screenshots, if anyone wants to compare the two.

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Security/Fire...ewall-Pro.shtml

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Security/Fire...wall-Free.shtml

(BTW, I didn't download from Softpedia, I went to the developer's site itself: http://free.agnitum.com/ )

More details and options? Actually I find Outpost Firewall Free to be a very solid product all around. While it doesn't shine at leaktests like Online Armor and Comodo Internet Security for example, it is still a more than enough for a really good protection. Its interface is in my opinion one of the best there is - no fluff and shiny colors, yet very well structured and intuitive. I myself love it and would actually be using the program if it weren't for its resource hunger. While I do have a rather old computer, I still think that software can be powerful and light at the same time. To prove me right there are Comodo Internet Security, Malware Defender (a classical HIPS software) and Privatefirewall. These are all very good products and they are much lighter on my old 'box'.

More details and options? Actually I find Outpost Firewall Free to be a very solid product all around. While it doesn't shine at leaktests like Online Armor and Comodo Internet Security for example, it is still a more than enough for a really good protection. Its interface is in my opinion one of the best there is - no fluff and shiny colors, yet very well structured and intuitive. I myself love it and would actually be using the program if it weren't for its resource hunger. While I do have a rather old computer, I still think that software can be powerful and light at the same time. To prove me right there are Comodo Internet Security, Malware Defender (a classical HIPS software) and Privatefirewall. These are all very good products and they are much lighter on my old 'box'.

I would like just like a bit more detail in the event viewer screen, like in screen shot #8 here:

http://www.softpedia.com/progScreenshots/O...enshot-3558.htm

So far, I'm quite happy with how this firewall is doing, though. Things are stable, it seems to get along with my other resident security software, and it's not slowing anything down at all.

i used outpost once but that was outpost pro (6 mth freebie),it wasnt easy to setup,i has to guess at what to allow and what not to,sounds like pro is very differnt to the free one.also that was over a yr ago,changes do happen.i do think its a soild line off protection thou from all i`ve hread.

what i do find strange its trend/kaspery/macfee are being called pups by spybot.

i do wonder if its there calling them pups because off differences between spybot (search&destroy) and said vendors? i havent used any off the above bar macfee years ago,witch i didnt like,maily becuse the updates caused problems,witch allways ment i had to re-install,they may well have fixed that,unsure.i cant tell without reading the EULA if the others are really pups,or just differnances as said.

I know for Kaspersky at least that there is an issue there, as Kaspersky forces you to uninstall Spybot Search & Destroy (along with most other security tools) if it's installed when you try to install Kaspersky, a behavior which they claim is due to incompatibility, although I've never seen an actual case where such an incompatibility was proven to be true between Spybot and Kaspersky. That's likely why Spybot would have such a detection, although I've never had it come up in a Spybot scan, but I haven't scanned with Spybot in quite some time since it's slow and doesn't update nearly as frequently as tools like SAS and MBAM, so I just use its Immunization feature.