Can anyone name a few other compatible AV software?

I just tried to install Bitdefender and was disappointed that it won't install with MBAM already installed, even after turning off real-time shields. I don't want to deal with the hassle. Isn't there a few major AV that are MBAM friendly? I wouldn't have minded dealing with exclusions but it's a PITA to uninstall MBAM just to install BD. I have this lifetime license from way back that I've activated and don't want it to go to waste, although I have been a Linux user for years and can just dump Windows again if there isn't a straight forward easy solution.

Windows 8 here. And after I made the post I figured out you can turn off registering in Windows Security Center, and got BD to start installing. However after leaving the house a while where it was installing at 97% it is still at the same spot after I got back. I had turned off all real time shields on MBAM except Web Protection and now turned it off...

ok looks like it finished, I seem to remember BD used to not indicate it finished when it did years ago..

Now as far as smooth co-existence of both - I guess there's a standard set of instructions but here are my versions:

BD av free 1.0.17.200

mbam 4.2.0.82
Update Package ver
Component package version 1.0.1036

Sorry I guess I spoke too soon and at this point I'm just wondering about two files that I couldn't find from a list of exclusions:

C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mwac.sys

and

C:\Windows\System32\drivers\farflt.sys

Do I need to be concerned about not having those to add?

25 minutes ago, kramyugtaht said:

I guess there's a standard set of instructions but here are my versions:

I suggest turning off fast startup in Windows. Then restart.

https://www.eightforums.com/threads/fast-startup-turn-on-or-off-in-windows-8.6320/

I would  also recommend creating exclusions between Malwarebytes and Your AV to help prevent any possible conflicts or performance issues.  Please add the items listed in this support article to Your AV 's allow list(s)/trust list(s)/exclusion list(s) particularly for any of its real-time protection components and likewise add Your AV 's program folder(s) (likely located under C:\Program Files and/or C:\Program Files (x86)) to Malwarebytes' Allow List using the method described under the Allow a file or folder section of this support article and do the same for its primary data folder which is likely located under C:\ProgramData (you may need to show hidden files and folders to see it).

2 minutes ago, kramyugtaht said:

about two files that I couldn't find from a list of exclusions:

If Malwarebytes is on you should see those. If it is off you will not.

I would also recommend reviewing this support article which lists several third party security applications (including several AVs) which are known to have compatibility issues with Malwarebytes for future reference.  Here's the current list as of this posting, though I believe some additional apps have been discovered which have yet to be added:

BitDefender™ AV products
Emsisoft Anti-Malware
AdGuard
Private Internet Access
Firetrust HideAway VPN
SurfShark
Qustodio
Sophos anti-virus products
Techloq Filter
Kaspersky™ anti-virus products
Avast™ antivirus products
AVG™ antivirus products

Edited by exile360

Thank you both. I was wondering about Web protection since BD has it too. The one thing I didn't do yet was the allow list, or at least not all of it - did the program data folders just now which was one for BD and one for BD Agent...

Sorry one last thing: Windows Action Center is still showing Windows Defender, although I turned off its real time shield. The system is also really slow but this is on a mechanical hd and it is Win 8.. Should I be concerned? Does it have anything to do with the fact that I turned off registering MBAM in Windows Security Center?

If you turned off registering Malwarebytes in Security Center then Windows Defender will enable itself, yes, so it may be related.  You should also check the scheduled scans to ensure no scheduled scan is running as that too could cause slower performance.  You can check using the information provided in this support article.