Jump to content

Unable to access License Server after upgrade

Go to solution Solved by AdvancedSetup,

Recommended Posts

  • Staff

Hi David,

According to the most recent FRST logs, you still have a local system proxy configured which is likely the cause of your issue. Given you manually removed it previously, it's apparent there is something present on the machine that is regenerating it.

You could start off by experimenting with a clean boot to see if a particular installed program is responsible. Beyond that, using something like Sysmon or boot time Process Monitor (assuming it's being regenerated at boot) may give you an indication of the source.

I've attached a Sysmon config file that will monitor for and report changes to any value named "ProxyServer".

Install Sysmon:

sysmon -accepteula -i config.xml

Events are logged to the Microsoft-Windows-Sysmon/Operational event log.

Stop monitoring/uninstall Sysmon:

sysmon -u



Edited by LiquidTension
Link to post
Share on other sites

Domo arigato @LiquidTension

No change.

I keep the utility in question updated and in-hand and installed the "System Monitor service" per your request and monitored MBAM accessing the account.  Nothing was logged. 

I then specifically loaded Fiddler and setup MBAM to use a Fiddler Proxy.  Results ==> Data.ZIP


Note that no other program complains about a Proxy.  There is only a Proxy use when I specifically setup one like Fiddler.  No other components of MBAM have issues and the program gets updates.  It is only an issue with keystone.mwbsys.com and it only occurs when checking license compliance.  It did not happen with 4.1.x nor when I updated to v4.2.  It only occurred after a v4.2.x update.

When I started this thread, I was at:, 1.029403 and 1.0.1036  and I am now at, 1.029939 and 1.0.1045

With the same inability to access the license server problem.

If it was a Proxy issue I would have a problem getting updates too as all MBAM components would use a Proxy and not just the License Server check-in process.

As you previously noted, this is the issue...

On 9/4/2020 at 11:59 AM, LiquidTension said:

Thank you. This is the issue:

"Exception details: text=SSL Exception: error:1416F086:SSL routines:tls_process_server_certificate:certificate verify failed"


Referencing "Certificate verify failed", it begs the questions...

  • Does MBAM use OpenSSL or the Microsoft CryptoAPI ?
  • Does MBAM use or depend upon external DLL/modules or are they embedded/compiled ?
  • Where is the Certificate? 
    • Is it a disk file (.cer/.der, .crt, .pem, .key, .p7b/.p7c, .pfx, etc) ? 
    • Is it in the certificate store ?
  • Can we verify the certificate chain with an OCSP ?


As I wrote this v4.2.1 was released.  However it will not perform and online in situ upgrade and actually downgrades the program.

From;, 1.029939 and 1.0.1045  to, 1.029391 and 1.0.1036

I await the release of the Offline installer for v4.2.1


Edited by David H. Lipman
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Root Admin

Glad we could help.

If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this topic with your request.

This applies only to the originator of this thread. Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread.

Please review the following for Tips to help protect from infection

Thank you



Link to post
Share on other sites

This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

Back to top
  • Create New...

Important Information

This site uses cookies - We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.