Seems latest malwarebytes is freezing my computer - Windows 10 Home 2004

Go to solution Solved by exile360,

Hi all,

have been noticing that my Windows desktop is freezing, managed to catch the CPU usage at the end of the latest freeze and Malwarebytes was using almost all the CPU at this time.

Please advise as to why this latest version of Malwarebytes (4.2.0) is causing my CPU to be maxxed out from time to time and for my desktop to freeze.

Thank you.

Greetings,

I'm sorry that you are experiencing trouble, but we'll do our best to help.  Please begin by doing the following so that we may take a look at the status of your installation to search for issues:

1. Download and run the Malwarebytes Support Tool
  2. Accept the EULA and click Advanced tab on the left (not Start Repair)
  3. Click the Gather Logs button, and once it completes, attach the zip file it creates on your desktop to your next reply

Thanks

Thanks.  After an initial check of your logs, I see that you are running Avast AV as well as ExpressVPN.  It is possible that one or both of these applications is conflicting with Malwarebytes.  Please test to see if disabling the web filtering component in Avast AV makes any difference or not, and if you are currently using ExpressVPN, please test to see if disabling it affects the issue or not.

If disabling Avast's web filtering component helped, please try adding exclusions between the two programs by excluding/trusting/ignoring/allowing the items listed in this support article from Avast's real-time protection components if possible.  Next, add Avast's primary program folder (likely located under C:\Program Files and/or C:\Program Files (x86) to Malwarebytes allow list by following the instructions under the Allow a file or folder section of this support article and do the same for its primary data folder, likely located under C:\ProgramData.

Once that is done, test to see if the issue still persists or not and let us know how it goes.

Thanks

Hi exile360,

thank you very much for the rapid assessment. Actually, now that I think of it, these problems of freezing seemed to start about a week ago, when I first installed expressVPN. With avast, I have used it happily alongside malwarebyes, but noting that I don't use any of Avast's web / online scanners, I have only ever set up Avast as a file shield, I have always done this, and used Malwarebytes as protection at the browser / web level, and never had problems like this.

But it may well be ExpressVPN causing the problems. I actually disabled all ExpressVPN services, and so as far as I could tell, nothing to do with ExpressVPN was active or running at all, but there must be something with it that is causing MBAM to use max CPU, and so I think I will uninstall ExpressVPN and see if that fixes the issue.

Thank you.

Justin

It likely has a driver that is still active, I suspect that if your intuition is correct, uninstalling it and restarting the system should resolve it, but either way I'm anxious to see how it goes.

In the meantime, while I don't want to seem like a salesman or anything, Malwarebytes actually does offer a VPN solution if you are curious.  It's called Malwarebytes Privacy and you can learn more about it here.  Obviously that's not the only choice for VPNs besides ExpressVPN and there are a lot of options out there (though sadly, most are owned by only a handful of providers due to a lot of mergers and acquisitions by larger providers) so it is totally up to you which, if any, VPN you choose for your system.

Anyway, I look forward to hearing back on how your test went, hopefully with good results.

Yes, I think you/I are right. I did uninstall expressVPN a little while ago, and will reboot my windows machine, and see how it goes. I must thank you for your help, I probably should've suspected ExpressVPN was causing problems, as I only installed it about a week ago and it has only been the past week that I have had freezes and CPU maxxing out.

Actually, salesman or not, thank you for the recommendation on the Malwarebytes Privacy. I checked out the link you gave, and the prices are quite reasonable. I might consider it for my VPN, as I trust Malwarebytes. ExpressVPN gives me very good speeds, but then they are not someone that I know I can trust (or not), whereas Malwarebytes is a trusted company to me if not most people. I might trial Malwarebytes and see how it goes.

I will try and update you here after a while as to whether this issue is solved, although I suspect that uninstalling ExpressVPN will likely have done the trick.

Thanks again.

Justin

Yes, definitely try the free trial.  From what I've heard from users, the speeds are really good compared to other VPNs (though still slower than running with no VPN for faster connections/ISPs of course, such as fiber and faster cable connections), but the free trial will give you a chance to see how it performs without having to spend any money, so it's certainly worthwhile.

Good luck, and I hope the issue is fixed, but please let us know.

Thanks

Hi exile360,

just an update for you - it definitely seems like ExpressVPN was the culprit. Today, not a single freeze at all, whereas I normally got 3 or 4 in a day.

So for whatever reason, the ExpressVPN installation was giving me the freezing.

Thanks again for your time and help, it is much appreciated, and this thread may be considered solved.

Thanks,

Justin

• Solution

You're very welcome, I'm glad you were able to isolate the issue.  I have made a note of your experience for the Product and Support teams.  I will request that they investigate and determine if ExpressVPN should be added to the list of incompatible applications listed in this support article.

It seems we have compatibility issues with a handful of third party applications which use the same WFP APIs in Windows that Malwarebytes uses for its Web Protection module.  Once reported, they can request that testing and verification be done so that they may determine if it might be something which can be fixed in Malwarebytes' code, or if it must be addressed by the developers of ExpressVPN (unfortunately, this seems to be the case for most of the applications with such conflicts).

Thank you exile360, you've gone way beyond the normal "call of duty" so to speak, so thanks again.

I did contact ExpressVPN support, and they are now aware that ExpressVPN seems to cause conflicts with Malwarebytes and causes freezing and high CPU usage. It remains to be seen if they will, or are able to address this issue. I have used ExpressVPN in the past (but not recently until last week), and didn't have any noticeable problems that I can recall before now.

Anyway, thanks again for all your help.