Another unable to update / install post!

Go to solution Solved by T_Ronalds,

Was running MB on Windows 7 for years, then it asked to be updated, so I approved. It ran for a bit then did a restart. THREE TIMES!. Finally it said Not Able to Install on this computer. Deleted MB folders, tried this a couple more times and ran Support Tool, got the same exact results. I surrender. Here's my logs:

mbst-grab-results.zip

Hello @T_Ronalds      :welcome:

I regret to learn of the troubles here.   Let me know, when you said 

Deleted MB folders

you did more than simply use the normal Windows uninstall thru Windows Settings   ( Control Panel ).

At the time that you ran the Support tool,   there was a RESTART of Windows needed to complete some steps   that involved Malwarebytes.

Please do one RESTART   and then let me know situation after Windows settles back in.

When I said I deleted MB folders, I meant that after the windows uninstall, I manually deleted the folders left over in Program Files and Appdata.

Now I did a restart. There was no Malwarebytes folder in Program Files nor appdata. Ran MBSetup.exe. After a couple minutes, gave me message saying needed to restart computer, clicked OK. The computer then restarted THREE TIMES as it did before. Each time it rebooted, it completely brought up the desktop before going down again. After the third time, gave me a message "An error has occurred and Malwarebytes will not install on your computer.". Ran the Gather Logs again (attached).

mbst-grab-results.zip

Hello @T_Ronalds    Lets not do any more mbsetup,  nor any sort of install on your own,  without my guidance.

I'm running into unforeseen issues in attempts to download your last zip file.    Can you please  attach it one more time in a new reply.

I just would like you to do one run with the windows System File Checker applet.

This procedure will use the Windows System File Checker tool  ( SFC ).

Open an elevated command prompt window i.e. run Command Prompt as an administrator .

See   this guide    https://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/783-elevated-command-prompt.html

It is best to use the Windows Copy ( CTRL+ C )  and paste  ( CTRL+V )  for the whole line, as-is

On that command prompt,  Copy & Paste this command

sfc /scannow

and tap Enter.   Have patience.   I would like to know the message lines at the very end, after it has finished.

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>sfc /scannow

Beginning system scan.  This process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.
Verification 100% complete.

Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

C:\Windows\system32>

mbst-grab-results.zip

Thanks for the SFC run.   The result is excllent 

Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

Thanks for uploading the zip file.    Unfortunately, it turns out that  the most recent forum upgrade has a few hitches.   We are having temporary issues with the download mechanism.

The system admin is working to get that kink cleared up.

Meantime, I would like for you to get and run the Avast uninstall tool because I saw some trace remains of Avast from your first set of reports.

run the cleanup tool for Avast to insure no remains are left behind.

Please get, save, & then run the Avast uninstall tool

https://support.avast.com/en-us/article/Uninstall-Antivirus-Utility/

[    2    ]

The processes to get a good setup for Malwarebytes for Windows will take a few more separate passes.   Please do not do anything on your own.

If you have a question, Stop , post that question here  & wait for my directions.

This step here is a first step to clean up  all traces of Malwarebytes for Windows.    Please have lots of patience.   We will do more after all this here   (  later ).

and just wait for my further reply  and do not do anything else on your own, please.

• Open your Downloads folder. 

   Right-click   mb-support-1.7.0.827     image.png      & select Run as administrator    to start the tool   & reply YES to allow to go forward. 

• When prompted by Windows, reply YES to allow the tool to go forward. 

• You will be presented with a page stating, "Welcome to the Malwarebytes Support Tool!". 

• Click the Advanced Options link. This is important. Please ensure Advanced Options is clicked. 

• Click the Clean   button followed by Yes to proceed. 

• Upon completion, click OK to reboot your computer. 

• After the reboot, please wait for the program to reopen. 

Please have lots & lots of patience for the system to resume  & then re-display the second phase of the run.   It may take a few minutes to show.

• You will be presented with the option to install Malwarebytes for Windows. Click NO

Let me know when this is all done.

Thank you in advance.

Ran the Avast uninstall in safe mode.

Ran support tool as administrator. Advanced | Clean | Ok

After completion it didn't reboot, but said "All Malwarebytes products have been removed from your computer. Do you want to reinstall the latest version of Malwarebytes for Windows?"   I replied NO and it never asked for a reboot. I rebooted anyway. Here's the results of the clean:

2020-08-31 14:15:30.924   --------LOGGING STARTED----------
2020-08-31 14:15:30.924   Tool Version: 1.7.0.827
2020-08-31 14:15:30.924   Dll Version: 1.0.0.226
2020-08-31 14:15:30.925   Log Path: D:\Temp\mwbC082.tmp\mbst-clean-results.txt
2020-08-31 14:15:30.927   User Account Type: Administrator
2020-08-31 14:15:30.929   Date/Time Log Created: 2020-08-31 14:15:30.928
2020-08-31 14:15:30.929   Operating System: Windows 7 Service Pack 1 x64
2020-08-31 14:15:30.930   
2020-08-31 14:15:30.931   ======================================================
2020-08-31 14:15:30.931   Pre-Reboot Cleanup
2020-08-31 14:15:30.931   ======================================================
2020-08-31 14:15:30.970   OpenService mbamchameleon failed (1060)
2020-08-31 14:15:31.008   Launching process:C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\unins000.exe /VERYSILENT /SUPPRESSMSGBOXES /NORESTART /log="D:\Temp\Mbam3x.log"
2020-08-31 14:15:31.010   Failed to launch C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\unins000.exe /VERYSILENT /SUPPRESSMSGBOXES /NORESTART /log="D:\Temp\Mbam3x.log", reason:(The system cannot find the file specified.(error=2))
2020-08-31 14:15:31.028   File C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\mbaminstallerservice.exe was deleted successfully,
2020-08-31 14:15:31.814   File C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\mbemsg.exe was deleted successfully,
2020-08-31 14:15:31.816   File C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\mbuns.exe was deleted successfully,
2020-08-31 14:15:31.818   Skipped deletion: C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\UIPlugin.dll (File not in clean.json)
2020-08-31 14:15:31.819   Skipped deletion: C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\ (Folder not empty)
2020-08-31 14:15:31.825   Deleted registry key: (SOFTWARE\Malwarebytes)
2020-08-31 14:15:31.828   Deleted registry key: (SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Malwarebytes)
2020-08-31 14:15:32.509   LSP Registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\WinSock2\Parameters\AppId_Catalog\######## Not Found
2020-08-31 14:17:07.500   
2020-08-31 14:17:07.502   ======================================================
2020-08-31 14:17:07.504   Install Malwarebytes for Windows
2020-08-31 14:17:07.504   ======================================================
2020-08-31 14:17:07.504   User choice for reinstall prompt (No clicked)

It is good to know that you did do a RESTART after the end of that run.

I have noticed that sometimes the D drive is being used for some runs.   Next time we get to do the Malwarebytes setup, be very sure you let it use the default drive for installation, which normally should be C drive, same logival  drive as where Windows is installed.

At this point, I just simply want to insure no remains of Malwarebytes for Windows are left behind.    ( later on, I will guide you to a brand new special setup.)

The support tool should have left a tool named FRSTENGLISH on the Downloads folder.   If you do not see FRSTENGLISH,  You should have a FRST64 on the folder  D:\Download

Find &   then start FRST64

It will try to do a self-update for the FRST  to see about a newer version.   Have patience during that part.

Type the following ( better yet, use COPY  then Paste)   into the search box exactly as show then press the Search Files button 

SearchAll: mbam;malwarebytes

Please wait while the program searches for all entries relating to this program, when done a  search.txt    log will be saved to the desktop. Please attach this log to your next reply. 

Thanks for your patience.

[    2     ]   This is entirely outside of the issue of setup of Malwarebytes.   I would like to see you do one run with a Microsoft antivirus scan.

The Microsoft Safety Scanner  is a free Microsoft stand-alone virus scanner that  can be used to scan for & remove malware or potentially unwanted software from a system.
The download links & the how-to-run-the tool are at this link at Microsoft
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/security/threat-protection/intelligence/safety-scanner-download

Let me know the result of this.
The log is named MSERT.log  
the log will be at  %SYSTEMROOT%\debug\msert.log   which in most cases is   C:\Windows\debug\msert.log
Please attach that log with your reply.

Thank you for the reports.  As concerns the Malwarebytes program, there is stil more cleanups to do before we do any new setup.

I will get back with you soon with a custom cleanup script.

Thanks for your patience.

Hello Terry.

Just so you are fully aware, Please do not ever select any of Malwarebytes to run in any "application compatibility" mode.   This is for now going forward.  I had found a few old traces of compatibility settings for Malwarebytes.

I also found a trace of an older version 3.4 setup program.

There were a handful of leftover folders.   As well as many many leftover registry entries.

The followig is an important cleanup custom script.   It needs to work with the FRST64   which is already saved on the D:\Download folder

You need to run this when you have a block of time where you do not need to be using the computer.

The system will be rebooted after the script has run.

This custom script is for  T_Ronalds  only / for this  machine only.

Close and save any open work files before starting this procedure. 

I am sending a    custom Fix script which is going to be used by the FRST64  tool. They will both work together as a pair.

Please RIGHT-click the (attached file named) FIXLIST and select SAVE  link AS and save it directly ( as is) to the  D drive  Download folder

The tool named FRST64 .exe   tool    is already on D:\Download
Start the Windows Explorer and then, to D:\Download

RIGHT click on  FRST64     and select RUN as Administrator and allow it to proceed.  Reply YES when prompted to allow to run.
  to run the tool. If the tool warns you the version is outdated, please download and run the updated version.
IF Windows prompts you about running this, select YES to allow it to proceed.

IF you get a block message from Windows about this tool......
click line More info information on that screen
and click button Run anyway on next screen.

on the FRST window:
Click the Fix button just once, and wait.

frst-fix.jpg.f6a25291b39a03d418acc9a3b7136900.jpg

PLEASE have lots and lots of patience when this starts. You will see a green progress bar start. Lots of patience. This run here should be fairly quick.
If you receive a message that a reboot is required, please make sure you allow it to restart normally.
The tool will complete its run after restart.
When finished, the tool will make a log ( Fixlog.txt) in the same location from where it was run.

Please attach the FIXLOG.txt with your next reply later, at your next opportunity   

Fixlist.txt

Hello.   Thank you for the log report.   The run is good.

Now the pc is at a point to be capable of doing a fresh new installation of Malwarebytes for Windows in the following way & sequence.

Please read all that follows first so that you are fully clear in what is involved.

Ideally you want to save the download file to the Desktop   for ease of operations.

Also, be sure to accept the default installation location for the program.    It needs to be installed in same logical drive where Windows is also stoed.

the Malwarebytes installer is at this link

https://downloads.malwarebytes.com/file/mb4_offline

download and save the setup file . It will automatically download. Just SAVE first.

1. RIGHT-click mb4-setup-consumer- 4.2.0.179-1.0.1025-1.0.nnnnn   .exe & select “Run as Administrator”   to start the Malwarebytes for Windows setup.
2. Follow the installation instructions to complete setup.

Watch all of the process. Have lots of patience.

Next things to do in the program:
In Malwarebytes, click Settings icon, on the GENERAL tab scroll down to &
click on the button "Check for Updates".

Close the program.    You should then do one Windows Restart.

Keep me advised.

Sincerely.

Installed MW as administrator as instructed. During the install, a notification popped up for a moment saying MW needed to be started. When install finished, got notice to restart, which I did.

The computer restarted THREE TIMES! After the first two restarts, the computer looked like it had completely finished rebooting, then it rebooted again. After the third reboot, got the message "An error has occurred and Malwarebytes will not install on your computer."

Ran support tool, here's the logs.

Sigh....

mbst-grab-results.zip

Hi.   I am so sorry to learn all this.   Thank you for providing this new support-report-file.

I will be requesting assistance from other colleagues on your behalf.   This situation is one of those very unique / unusual ones.

Lets not do any other attempts to install until after I get back with you, hopefully sometime Friday.

Thanks for understanding.

Hi.   I must ask this important question, since I see that the logs of the last installs, repeatedly mentioned 

MBSetup version 4.1.1.179 (MBAM-C)

Note this refers to a old version 4.1.1

The setup file I wanted for you to download and to save  is the one I listed in my last set of procedures

mb4-setup-consumer- 4.2.0.179-1.0.1025-1.0.nnnnn 

Thanks for hanging in here.   I would like for you to do s special series of specific steps in order to capture more information.

Get & SAVE this tool - I suggest you save it to the DESKTOP for ease _   Process Monitor: 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/procmon

I would like to have a fresh F R S T report for review.   Some of the things I want to see are how many Malwarebytes setup there are laying about, plus specifivcally where the one named 

mb4-setup-consumer- 4.2.0.179-1.0.1025-1.0.nnnnn   is

Run report with FRST64

Right-click on FRST icon and select Run as Administrator to start the tool , and reply YES to allow it to proceed and run.

Click YES when prompted by Windows U A C prompt to allow it to run.
Note: If you are prompted by Windows SmartScreen, click More info & followup & choose Run anyway.

Approve the Windows UAC prompt on Windows Vista and newer operating systems by clicking on Continue or Yes. 

Click Yes when the* disclaimer* appears in FRST.
The tool may want to update itself - in that case you'll be prompted when the update is completed and ready to use.

Make sure that Addition options is *checked* - the configuration should look exactly like on the screen below (do not mark additional things unless asked).
Press Scan button and wait.

image.png.5754a4f391741977b2e255430b55d5f3.png

The tool will produce 2  logfiles on your desktop: FRST.txt , Addition.txt 
Click OK button when it shows up. Close the Notepad windows when they show on screen. The tool saves the files.

Please attach these 2 files to your next reply.

Thank you.

Thanks for the FRST reports.   Thanks for the information.

I happened to notice a security related matter, that there are very old insecure installations of Java on this pc.   Unless you are a developer & have specific needs, you should uninstall these

Java SE Development Kit 7 Update 75

Java SE Development Kit 8 Update 144

Java SE Development Kit 8 Update 152 

And if you have to have Java,  then see this article about getting the most recent release   https://securitygarden.blogspot.com/2020/07/oracle-java-se-jre-security-updates.html

Now just one new run with a new Fixlist using the F R S T  .    This run should not take long.

Delete the previous copy of file named FIXLIST.txt   on   D:\Download

This custom script is for  T_Ronalds  only / for this  machine only.

Close and save any open work files before starting this procedure. 

I am sending a    custom Fix script which is going to be used by the FRST64  tool. They will both work together as a pair.

Please RIGHT-click the (attached file named) FIXLIST and select SAVE  link AS and save it directly ( as is) to the  D drive  Download folder

Start the Windows Explorer and then, to D:\Download

RIGHT click on  FRST64     and select RUN as Administrator and allow it to proceed.  Reply YES when prompted to allow to run.
  to run the tool. If the tool warns you the version is outdated, please download and run the updated version.
IF Windows prompts you about running this, select YES to allow it to proceed.

IF you get a block message from Windows about this tool......
click line More info information on that screen
and click button Run anyway on next screen.

on the FRST window:
Click the Fix button just once, and wait.

frst-fix.jpg.f6a25291b39a03d418acc9a3b7136900.jpg

PLEASE have lots and lots of patience when this starts. You will see a green progress bar start. Lots of patience. This run here should be fairly quick.
If you receive a message that a reboot is required, please make sure you allow it to restart normally.
The tool will complete its run after restart.
When finished, the tool will make a log ( Fixlog.txt) in the same location from where it was run.

These next steps are the special steps to do one new Malwarebytes setup in a unique sequence.

Go to where you saved Process Monitor   ( procmon )   and start it.

Now press & hold the Windows-key on keyboard & tap the R key to get the RUN option box.    In there COPY & Paste the following line ( as is )  to start Malwarebytes setup

%userprofile%\Desktop\mb4-setup-consumer-4.2.0.179-1.0.1025-1.0.28979.exe /norestart

tap Enter key to get that going.    Keep an eye out on what happens after that.

• Wait for the fail to occur   ( or the run to finish )  to occur.
  • Once the fail has occurred, stop the Process Monitor capture (File -> Capture Events).
  • Save the Process Monitor log and zip it up.
  • Zip up the following file:      C:\Windows\temp\mbamservice.log (if it exists   )
  • Attach those zip files with your reply.

Thank you for your patience.

Fixlist.txt

All went smoothly. When MB was installing, got a quick notification that it wasn't running and that I should start it. The installation dialog went away with no notice that the install was completed though. Here's the mbamiservice log. The process monitor file was too big to attach (355mb) so I put it on my website at deluxdeals.com/Logfile.zip where you can download it from.

mbamiservice.zip

Hello.     Thanks.   We'd also like to get a fresh run of the Malwarebytes Support tool mb-support    

which you already have..   If you will do a run >> Advanced >> Gather logs   & then attach the ZIP

See   https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/articles/360039023453-Upload-Malwarebytes-Support-Tool-logs-offline

Attached is the zip file from MST. Also, I recall that after the last run when I tried to install MB, the system did not reboot and it did not appear that MB actually was completely installed since it did not appear in my programs menu. So after I ran the attached zip file, I thought I would just do a reboot. After I rebooted (about a minute later) Windows rebooted again, AND AGAIN (the old 3 reboot pattern mentioned earlier). After the 3rd reboot, got the message that MB...will not install on your computer.

So I ran MST again and have attached that more recent zip file for you just in case it makes a difference.

mbst-grab-results BEFORE 3 REBOOTS.zip mbst-grab-results AFTER 3 REBOOTS.zip

I do regret your troubles.   This system is an especially complicated & very rare bunch of repeat failed installs.

I am asking the Malwarebytes internal team to look at all your logs.  Your continued patience is appreciated.

Lets not make any changes till after I hear back from them.

Hello.   There's a access failure  to get to the  Procmon capture  file.

Please do a new upload of  the  Procmon capture  file   to a file sharing service such as WeTransfer.com or SendSpace.com

Once uploaded, you will have the option to copy a download link. Please copy that link and paste it into a reply here or send link via a personal message to me.

We also need for you to take a closer look at one other log.

Can you double-check if mbamservice.log (no "i" after "mbam") exists in C:\Windows\temp and get that please?

Thank you for your patience.