WIN 10 1909 and MB 4.2 BSOD with web protection on

2 minutes ago, dormaj said:

music and video.

Well music and video can be infected. Malwarebytes does not scan those as mentioned before.

Hope Defender is enabled as well.

57 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Well music and video can be infected. Malwarebytes does not scan those as mentioned before.

Hope Defender is enabled as well.

This is true of the manual/scheduled scan engine component as well as the primary Malware Protection component, however such threats would be very likely to trigger a block by Exploit Protection if infected.

By the way, you may exclude your bittorrent application from Web Protection if you wish.  While it does certainly connect to servers known for hosting malware from time to time, they would be hosted on different domains from the files you are downloading through your bittorrent application, so just as Porthos mentioned above, those connections are not dangerous and you may safely exclude the application from Web Protection by following the instructions under the Allow an application to connect to the Internet section of this support article.  It may not correct the BSOD, however your downloads should be faster, especially if many fast seeders are being blocked.

Thanks.  I have 'allowed' a number of items I had not thought about allowing uTorrent.  I just set that up and will turn on web protection tomorrow and see if the BSOD recurs.  I really have not noticed any uTorrent performance diff between web protection on and off.  I'll keep an eye on it.

2 hours ago, dormaj said:

I really have not noticed any uTorrent performance diff between web protection on and off.  I'll keep an eye on it.

There may not be much or any difference if you're hitting close to your max bandwidth anyway (plus some ISPs throttle P2P/bittorrent traffic when they spot it).  Given the volume of traffic/connections/bandwidth that go through a bittorrent application, excluding it from Web Protection may also improve overall system performance when multitasking during downloads and uploads.

Last night I ran the pss-helper, enabled web protection, woke to a rebooted PC, collected the pssh-output and uploaded it in a reply to the email with the pss instructions. 

• 2 weeks later...

Guys.  I never heard anything back on this.  It's been 10 days.  I"ve since updated to Windows 10 ver. 2004 and I just installed MB 4.2.1 and rebooted.  Is the fix in so that I can turn Web Protection on???

I don't want to be difficult but I followed your instructions and turned on web protect and within an hour or two there a BSOD and then I gathered the pss-helper logs  and uploaded them (using Inbox) and i never heard anything back on that. 

Is my problem a known issue?  Is it addresses in the latest version update. Because if not, I don't need to turn on web protection to go through another BSOD. Some guidance based on what the pss-helper data says would be nice.

Thanks.

30 minutes ago, dormaj said:

Some guidance based on what the pss-helper data says would be nice.

I direct messaged the staff member. I will back out at this time and wait for the response from the staff.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey folks.  I upgraded to Win10 2004 and MB 4.2.1 on Sept. 19.  After running for a couple of days with no issues, I turned on web protection and in the past week or so I have had no BSODs.  I hate to jinx things but I wanted to give you some feedback.  Thanks for all your help.   I'm keeping my fingers crossed. :)

• Like 1