WIN 10 1909 and MB 4.2 BSOD with web protection on

About 3 months ago I started getting BSOD and in one instance the err msg indicated a Malwarebytes service name.  At the time I searched Google and found a work around recommended by you all - turn off web protection.  I have been doing that.  But when I install a new MB update (2 times for 4.1.x updates) I would turn web protection back on, but within the day I would get a BSOD.  I just installed 4.2 hoping this would have the fix.  But no.  If I leave web protection turned on, within the day I will get the BSOD.   The BSOD will not always specify a MB service.  Most times it is a totally generic error msg.

I am on WIN 10 1909 and Malwarebytes 4.2.0.  No other security products except Windows Defender installed.

Any ideas?  I could go to WIN 10 2004 but I saw that there were possible issue with that and MB recently.   Are there any known issues with WIN 2004 + MB 4.2.0?

Thanks!

• Staff

***This is an automated reply***

Hi,

Thanks for posting in the Malwarebytes for Windows Help forum.

If you are having technical issues with our Windows product, please do the following:

Malwarebytes Support Tool - Advanced Options

This feature is designed for the following reasons:

• For use when you are on the forums and need to provide logs for assistance
  • For use when you don't need or want to create a ticket with Malwarebytes
  • For use when you want to perform local troubleshooting on your own

How to use the Advanced Options:

Spoiler
  1. Download Malwarebytes Support Tool
  2. Double-click mb-support-X.X.X.XXXX.exe to run the program
    • You may be prompted by User Account Control (UAC) to allow changes to be made to your computer. Click Yes to consent.
  3. Place a checkmark next to Accept License Agreement and click Next
  4. Navigate to the Advanced tab
  5. The Advanced menu page contains four categories:
    • Gather Logs: Collects troubleshooting information from the computer. As part of this process, Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST) is run to perform a complete diagnosis. The information is saved to a file on the Desktop named mbst-grab-results.zip and can be added as an email attachment or uploaded to a forum post to assist with troubleshooting the issue at hand.
    • Clean: Performs an automated uninstallation of all Malwarebytes products installed to the computer and prompts to install the latest version of Malwarebytes for Windows afterwards. The Premium license key is backed up and reinstated. All user configurations and other data are removed. This process requires a reboot.
    •  Repair System: Includes various system-related repairs in case a Windows service is not functioning correctly that Malwarebytes for Windows is dependent on. It is not recommended to use any Repair System options unless instructed by a Malwarebytes Support agent.
    • Anonymously help the community by providing usage and threat statistics: Unchecking this option will prevent Malwarebytes Support Tool from sending anonymous telemetry data on usage of the program.
  6. To provide logs for review click the Gather Logs button
  7. Upon completion, click OK
  8. A file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your Desktop
  9. Please attach the file in your next reply.
  10. To uninstall all Malwarebytes Products, click the Clean button.
  11. Click the Yes button to proceed. 
  12. Save all your work and click OK when you are ready to reboot.
  13. After the reboot, you will have the option to re-install the latest version of Malwarebytes for Windows.
  14. Select Yes to install Malwarebytes.
  15. Malwarebytes for Windows will open once the installation completes successfully.

Screenshots:

Spoiler

Spoiler

01.png

02.png

03.png

04.png

05.png

06.png

If you are having licensing issues, please do the following: 

Spoiler

For any of these issues:

• Renewals
  • Refunds (including double billing)
  • Cancellations
  • Update Billing Info
  • Multiple Transactions
  • Consumer Purchases
  • Transaction Receipt

Please contact our support team at https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/requests/new to get help

If you need help looking up your license details, please head here: Find my premium license key

Thanks in advance for your patience.

-The Malwarebytes Forum Team

42 minutes ago, dormaj said:

About 3 months ago I started getting BSOD and in one instance the err msg indicated a Malwarebytes service name.  At the time I searched Google and found a work around recommended by you all - turn off web protection.  I have been doing that.  But when I install a new MB update (2 times for 4.1.x updates) I would turn web protection back on, but within the day I would get a BSOD.  I just installed 4.2 hoping this would have the fix.  But no.  If I leave web protection turned on, within the day I will get the BSOD.   The BSOD will not always specify a MB service.  Most times it is a totally generic error msg.

I am on WIN 10 1909 and Malwarebytes 4.2.0.  No other security products except Windows Defender installed.

Any ideas?  I could go to WIN 10 2004 but I saw that there were possible issue with that and MB recently.   Are there any known issues with WIN 2004 + MB 4.2.0?

Thanks!

PS - MBST grab results attached

mbst-grab-results.zip

Just now, Porthos said:

Currently no.

Can you please collect and upload as an attachment the diagnostic data using our MBST?

• Download and run the Malwarebytes Support Tool
  • Accept the EULA and click Advanced tab on the left (not Start Repair)
  • Click the Gather Logs button, and once it completes, attach the zip file it creates on your desktop to your next reply

Done... attached to first post.

Greetings,

Please ZIP and attach the following crash dumps as that should help the staff to troubleshoot the issue:

Recent Windows Crashes
==================================
C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\081420-52875-01.dmp [created:08/14/2020  10:13]
C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\081520-74328-01.dmp [created:08/15/2020  14:46]
C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\082520-44890-01.dmp [created:08/25/2020  00:55]
C:\WINDOWS\MEMORY.DMP                   [modified:08/25/2020  00:55]

To do so, locate each dump file and copy it to your desktop, then select all 4 .dmp files and right-click on them and hover your mouse over Send to and select Compressed (zipped) folder and attach the resulting ZIP archive.  If it is too large, please upload it to a service such as WeTransfer.com and select the option to send the file as a link by clicking the round button marked with ... and choose Get transfer link and post the resulting link once the file has been uploaded.

Thanks

3 hours ago, exile360 said:

Greetings,

Please ZIP and attach the following crash dumps as that should help the staff to troubleshoot the issue:

Recent Windows Crashes
==================================
C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\081420-52875-01.dmp [created:08/14/2020  10:13]
C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\081520-74328-01.dmp [created:08/15/2020  14:46]
C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\082520-44890-01.dmp [created:08/25/2020  00:55]
C:\WINDOWS\MEMORY.DMP                   [modified:08/25/2020  00:55]

To do so, locate each dump file and copy it to your desktop, then select all 4 .dmp files and right-click on them and hover your mouse over Send to and select Compressed (zipped) folder and attach the resulting ZIP archive.  If it is too large, please upload it to a service such as WeTransfer.com and select the option to send the file as a link by clicking the round button marked with ... and choose Get transfer link and post the resulting link once the file has been uploaded.

Thanks

Here is the WETransfer link - https://wetransfer.com/downloads/9fab78f3826a596e9c3f416591bb32a220200830110407/49fbdb84efac8e33c83f373424198cd720200830110407/9d1f26

Hello,

We have an open defect for this particular BSOD.

To confirm, does this BSOD only occur when both uTorrent and Malwarebytes Web Protection are running?
How often does it occur and are you able to reproduce it consistently?

I've sent you a follow-up message with additional troubleshooting steps if you are able to consistently reproduce the issue.

1 hour ago, LiquidTension said:

Hello,

We have an open defect for this particular BSOD.

To confirm, does this BSOD only occur when both uTorrent and Malwarebytes Web Protection are running?
How often does it occur and are you able to reproduce it consistently?

I've sent you a follow-up message with additional troubleshooting steps if you are able to consistently reproduce the issue.

uTorrent is always running.  Web Protect is turned off right now, but was running when the BSOD happened. 

It is not consistent. It is random and may go a day or so before another BSOD.  It is not reproducible, unless you can have some idea how to trigger it.

7 minutes ago, dormaj said:

uTorrent is always running.  Web Protect is turned off right now, but was running when the BSOD happened. 

It is not consistent. It is random and may go a day or so before another BSOD.  It is not reproducible, unless you can have some idea how to trigger it.

Did you send an email as a follow-up message?    I will need some idea of how to trigger the BSOD.

6 minutes ago, dormaj said:

Did you send an email as a follow-up message?    I will need some idea of how to trigger the BSOD.

Nevermind I see it in my MB Inbox.  I run a business on this system so I am not too keen on trying you grab because I can't tell when the BSOD will reoccur.

57 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Just a side comment, Running torrent software on a computer you use for your business has risks of its own.

Well, that is one of the reasons I have been a subscriber to MB for all these years.  And, why I do feel exposed without the web protection active.   The vast majority (95+%)of MB detections are by web protection and for uTorrent.   Any ETA or roadmap for a fix?

1 hour ago, dormaj said:

The vast majority (95+%)of MB detections are by web protection and for uTorrent.

Those servers it blocks are not the dangerous part. It is the final content you download and execute/run.

Malwarebytes does not target script files during a scan.. That means MB will not target; JS, HTML, VBS, .CLASS, SWF, BAT, CMD, PDF, PHP, etc.

It also does not target documents such as; PDF, DOC, DOCx, XLS, XLSx, PPT, PPS, ODF, etc.

It also does not target media files;  MP3, WMV, JPG, GIF, etc.

Malwarebytes will detect files like these on execution of file only.