BSOD - cause = mwac.sys

Again, based on the fact that you yourself already determined the root cause (and of course I'd still like to get it analyzed by staff as well, just to be sure as I'm sure you would as well), a workaround has already been provided for the time being.  This is not an excuse of course, and while I do not have direct access to the Devs any more, I am still employed as an independent contractor here and I do report directly to the entire Product Management team for Malwarebytes (including having already submitted your specific topic here in my last report to them) so if the Devs have need of the logs/dumps to aid in their work on the issue, they will see to it that a member of the staff does gather the logs/dumps from this thread for analysis.

Obviously the forums are going through some issues right now with the recent forum platform updates, and Support has been especially busy recently with all of the back to back product releases/updates, however I also know (from previous postings and reports) that the Devs are already aware of this issue, and my previous experience as a Malwarebytes Product Manager informs me that BSODs/crashes/hangs/performance issues etc. are always among the absolute highest of priorities for the Devs to address in any given release.

I understand that you are simply seeking an answer and a solution and I'm not trying to argue with you, I simply want to assure you that even though a staff member hasn't returned yet with news, the issue is actively being investigated and worked on.  I'm sorry I can't do more, but I expect we will see a reply very soon from a member of the staff, though obviously it will have to be after their work day has begun (it is currently around 5:40AM at their primary office location and their work day begins at 9AM).

51 minutes ago, exile360 said:

Again, based on the fact that you yourself already determined the root cause (and of course I'd still like to get it analyzed by staff as well, just to be sure as I'm sure you would as well), a workaround has already been provided for the time being.  This is not an excuse of course, and while I do not have direct access to the Devs any more, I am still employed as an independent contractor here and I do report directly to the entire Product Management team for Malwarebytes (including having already submitted your specific topic here in my last report to them) so if the Devs have need of the logs/dumps to aid in their work on the issue, they will see to it that a member of the staff does gather the logs/dumps from this thread for analysis.

Well at this time seeing as nobody has actually looked at the memory dump I linked, it's just an assumption that it is due to running a VPN and Malwarebytes web protection at same time.

And I am still here posting and effectively bumping thread because I am waiting for official to pop in and do a little looksie. Would have only posted once today but I keep getting told that someone will eventually look in here some time...

They've been notified, there is no need to bump the thread.  I've been here for years and I assure you it has been reported and you will receive a response.

I thought you had already tested and determined it was in fact the VPN by disabling the VPN and testing with Web Protection alone.  If you haven't done this yet, it would be a good idea as the dump will likely only show that the crash was caused by mwac.sys (the Web Protection driver for Malwarebytes).

11 minutes ago, exile360 said:

I thought you had already tested and determined it was in fact the VPN by disabling the VPN and testing with Web Protection alone.

Yes I did that, but I want someone to look at the files I was asked to provide, so that it at least appears someone is trying to fix the issue.

So once an official person pops in and does that, I will be stuck in an endless chat loop if you keep trying to smotth things over with me, which you don't have to do.

I just want the official team to pop in. And take my files. And appear to be working on a solution.

Hello,

Thank you for the troubleshooting data.

Unfortunately, there are various Windows Filtering Platform collisions between Malwarebytes Web Protection and other network filtering software.

We are actively looking into potential solutions. In the meantime, you will need to keep Web Protection disabled whilst using Private Internet Access.
See here: https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/articles/360051090194

I've sent you a message with follow-up steps if you're able to consistently reproduce this BSOD.

• 2 months later...

Greetings,

Please try the following to see if it helps at all:

1. Download and run the Malwarebytes Support Tool
  2. Accept the EULA and click Advanced tab on the left (not Start Repair)
  3. Click the Clean button, and allow it to restart your system and then reinstall Malwarebytes, either by allowing the tool to do so when it offers to on restart, or by downloading and installing the latest version from here

Once that's done, open Malwarebytes and enable beta updates by going to settings by clicking the small gear icon in the upper right, then scroll down to the Beta updates section under the General tab, then return to the top of the same tab and click the Check for updates button and allow it to download and install any available updates.

Once that is done, restart your system and test to see if PIA is able to launch and function.  If it still doesn't execute, open Malwarebytes and again navigate to settings by clicking the small gear icon in the upper right, then select the Security tab and scroll down to the Exploit Protection section and click the Advanced settings button and click the Restore Defaults button on the bottom left, then click Apply.

Once that is done, restart your system one more time and test to see if things have improved or not.

Please let us know how it goes.

Thanks