When does monitoring people like guinea pigs stop

AdvancedSetup

5 minutes ago, digmorcrusher said:

Nah, a good security solution combined with safe practices should mitigate the chances of a keylogger being installed on your system.

Please read the link; Windows 10 already has a keylogger embedded in it, and to my knowledge no AV or AM application detects it as a threat.  It is called search and it is called Cortana.

This is why I'm so aggravated with 10.  It's not that Microsoft is opting users into the same sorts of data/telemetry collection they've always done; 10 is something different with pretty much the entire OS designed to capture/monitor and upload (to Microsoft, of course) virtually everything a user does on their PC.  Once I have the money I'm going to pull my 8700K from my now defunct laptop, install it in a Z270 motherboard (for WIndows 7 driver support) and build a desktop from it that will run Windows 7.  I gave 10 a chance, but when the only way to disable their keylogger is to break basic functionality of the OS (text input is not registered for any search boxes in Explorer, just because I disabled Cortana/telemetry), something has gone horribly wrong at Redmond.

Edited by exile360

I guess I just happen to believe that malicious behaviors such as spying (i.e. spyware) and advertising (i.e. adware) are wrong, regardless of who it is that's doing it, especially since data breaches are so common today, meaning it's not just Microsoft or Google you have to worry about, it's anyone who ever gets access to their collected user data.

If not, then why bother with any sort of privacy or security/anti-malware solutions?  Just go online, infect your system with malware and be happy in the knowledge that at least the bad guys aren't doing anything that Microsoft and Google aren't doing themselves.  Obviously that's a bad idea, but that's the point.  Something isn't OK just because the organization behind it is reputable.  Wrong is wrong no matter who it is doing it.

Edited by exile360

• Root Admin

Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy because you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say.”

― Edward Snowden

Again, it's not just about Ads and marketing. It goes well beyond that but even in Advertising there is an entire structure of payment processes performed in micro-seconds to analyze purchasing decisions and who gets to send you an Ad. Basically highest bidder or highest volume Ad vendor can decide if they want to provide you a specific discount or other trick to ensure you stay on the page or make the purchase.

That is only one very small segment. The overall constant surveillance and data aggregation of ALL citizens around the world does not bode well for a free society.

Though not directly related this is often quoted entry from, Benjamin Franklin 1755, as society today in earnest looks for validation from past leaders as well to help further a point or view such as this when opposing ""big brother" surveillance".

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Nothing to Hide - The documentary about surveillance and you (2017)
https://vimeo.com/189016018

As surveillance technology grows more complex, it outpaces public understanding of the threats it poses.

How worried should we be about 'Big Brother' technology?
https://www.bbc.com/news/business-50673770

US protesters slam surveillance during COVID-19 crisis
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjfE0PnKG3E

If you think monitoring of people is not an issue or one you should not be concerned about then watch the following.
To think this type of monitoring in China won't reach other Countries and allow Governments to control supposedly free people is a bit naive.
For the most part I don't think it will affect me all that much due to my age, but I certainly don't want my grand children to live in such a non free society where they can essentially be manipulated and locked down by an over zealous police authority or government authority.

Though controversial it's also naive to ignore or think that the Media is not manipulating data to control people. aka Propaganda.. Who can speak and who cannot (current ongoing investigation of the bigger social media players) but those investigations ignore the actual main stream media that is even worse.

SPECIAL REPORT: Inside China's surveillance state
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Np_C8647mK8

Exposing China's Digital Dystopian Dictatorship | Foreign Correspondent
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eViswN602_k

Security leak reveals Chinese government surveillance of more ethnic minorities
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikvCl5otEos

US & Australia Shocked - China Builds Surveillance Network In South China Sea
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_os8o9wKu4

ZHENGZHOU, China — China is ramping up its ability to spy on its nearly 1.4 billion people to new and disturbing levels, giving the world a blueprint for how to build a digital totalitarian state.

Chinese authorities are knitting together old and state-of-the-art technologies — phone scanners, facial-recognition cameras, face and fingerprint databases and many others — into sweeping tools for authoritarian control, according to police and private databases examined by The New York Times.

Once combined and fully operational, the tools can help police grab the identities of people as they walk down the street, find out who they are meeting with and identify who does and doesn’t belong to the Communist Party.

The United States and other countries use some of the same techniques to track terrorists or drug lords. Chinese cities want to use them to track everybody.

The rollout has come at the expense of personal privacy. The Times found that the authorities parked the personal data of millions of people on servers unprotected by even basic security measures. It also found that private contractors and middlemen have wide access to personal data collected by the Chinese government.

This build-out has only just begun, but it is sweeping through Chinese cities. The surveillance networks are controlled by local police, as if county sheriffs in the United States ran their own personal versions of the National Security Agency.

Read more...
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/17/technology/china-surveillance.html

Are we being WATCHED? | America's Surveillance State (Edward Snowden) | EP1 | Technology Documentary
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEvP6sQagBs

Inside the NSA: How do they SPY? | America's Surveillance State | EP2 | Technology Documentary
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmFTY6tf5W0

• Root Admin

Yet another new video coming out on why it does pay to care what you allow business and government to do.

Subjecting people to their will based on various tracking and monitoring means. Along with various other news items.

Chinese Military Rolls Into Inner Mongolia; Xi May Restore 'Chairman' Title
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrAKBOyrFY4

I would also mention that once true Artificial Intelligence becomes a reality (and even with the existing, unthinking so-called AI based on Machine Learning and complex algorithms that can see patterns in human behavior that humans cannot), all of this collected data, regardless of how 'benign' it might appear, could potentially be used to subvert the will of free markets and otherwise free peoples.  It's startling what a modern AI can learn and report about an individual based on seemingly random and unrelated data collected through the web and other sources and just how powerful that data can be to manipulate everything from individual purchasing decisions to what we believe and possibly even how we vote.  If you do not believe that any government, corporation, political candidate or criminal would jump at the opportunity to leverage such power, then your faith in humanity is much greater than mine.  I am certain that at least some in a position of access and influence will attempt to use our data against us in this way, and in fact we have already seen countless instances of some doing just that as indicated in some of the links and videos posted by AdvancedSetup above.

4 hours ago, AdvancedSetup said:

Yet another new video coming out on why it does pay to care what you allow business and government to do.

Subjecting people to their will based on various tracking and monitoring means. Along with various other news items.

Chinese Military Rolls Into Inner Mongolia; Xi May Restore 'Chairman' Title

Except....  Be real careful about trusting information coming from the Epoch Times !

7 hours ago, exile360 said:

I would also mention that once true Artificial Intelligence becomes a reality (and even with the existing, unthinking so-called AI based on Machine Learning and complex algorithms that can see patterns in human behavior that humans cannot), all of this collected data, regardless of how 'benign' it might appear, could potentially be used to subvert the will of free markets and otherwise free peoples.  It's startling what a modern AI can learn and report about an individual based on seemingly random and unrelated data collected through the web and other sources and just how powerful that data can be to manipulate everything from individual purchasing decisions to what we believe and possibly even how we vote.  If you do not believe that any government, corporation, political candidate or criminal would jump at the opportunity to leverage such power, then your faith in humanity is much greater than mine.  I am certain that at least some in a position of access and influence will attempt to use our data against us in this way, and in fact we have already seen countless instances of some doing just that as indicated in some of the links and videos posted by AdvancedSetup above.

This, and worse, is going to happen, just a matter of time and there will be no way to stop it. My dim view of things. 

1 hour ago, digmorcrusher said:

This, and worse, is going to happen, just a matter of time and there will be no way to stop it. My dim view of things. 

I agree with you completely, but that doesn't mean I'm giving up the fight either.  I will make it as difficult as I can for anyone to collect info about me/from me, which is why I use privacy and security tools to begin with (in addition to the benefits of making the web faster as well as blocking malware, of course).

1 hour ago, AdvancedSetup said:

Yes, I completely agree that it is coming for everyone in the world sooner or later sadly, it's just a matter of time. I wold prefer though that we all try to hold if off as long as possible.

Precisely; let us be the monkey in the wrench, the fly in the ointment and the painful ingrown hair on the buttocks of those who would seek to gain and abuse this power.

• 2 weeks later...