Auto Update Glitch

My 2 year Premium subscription just auto updated to version 4.2.0.82, and when finished, showed that I needed to upgrade my subscription to Premium and only had 14 days to do so.  It gave me the option of activating, but wouldn't let me access my account to get my Key, so no key, no activation with out signing up for a new subscription.  Fortunately I was able to find my key on one of my other devices, but that's not the point.  The point is that either I have a two year subscription or I don't, and updates shouldn't lose my information.  This follows in a long list of glitches I've encountered,  (most recent the Win 10 2004).  Malwarebytes is not the new kid on the block, but seem unable to get their act together on something as fundamental as upgrades.  Time to look for alternative I think.

• Staff

***This is an automated reply***

Hi,

Thanks for posting in the Malwarebytes for Windows Help forum.

If you are having technical issues with our Windows product, please do the following:

Malwarebytes Support Tool - Advanced Options

This feature is designed for the following reasons:

• For use when you are on the forums and need to provide logs for assistance
  • For use when you don't need or want to create a ticket with Malwarebytes
  • For use when you want to perform local troubleshooting on your own

How to use the Advanced Options:

Spoiler
  1. Download Malwarebytes Support Tool
  2. Double-click mb-support-X.X.X.XXXX.exe to run the program
    • You may be prompted by User Account Control (UAC) to allow changes to be made to your computer. Click Yes to consent.
  3. Place a checkmark next to Accept License Agreement and click Next
  4. Navigate to the Advanced tab
  5. The Advanced menu page contains four categories:
    • Gather Logs: Collects troubleshooting information from the computer. As part of this process, Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST) is run to perform a complete diagnosis. The information is saved to a file on the Desktop named mbst-grab-results.zip and can be added as an email attachment or uploaded to a forum post to assist with troubleshooting the issue at hand.
    • Clean: Performs an automated uninstallation of all Malwarebytes products installed to the computer and prompts to install the latest version of Malwarebytes for Windows afterwards. The Premium license key is backed up and reinstated. All user configurations and other data are removed. This process requires a reboot.
    •  Repair System: Includes various system-related repairs in case a Windows service is not functioning correctly that Malwarebytes for Windows is dependent on. It is not recommended to use any Repair System options unless instructed by a Malwarebytes Support agent.
    • Anonymously help the community by providing usage and threat statistics: Unchecking this option will prevent Malwarebytes Support Tool from sending anonymous telemetry data on usage of the program.
  6. To provide logs for review click the Gather Logs button
  7. Upon completion, click OK
  8. A file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your Desktop
  9. Please attach the file in your next reply.
  10. To uninstall all Malwarebytes Products, click the Clean button.
  11. Click the Yes button to proceed. 
  12. Save all your work and click OK when you are ready to reboot.
  13. After the reboot, you will have the option to re-install the latest version of Malwarebytes for Windows.
  14. Select Yes to install Malwarebytes.
  15. Malwarebytes for Windows will open once the installation completes successfully.

Screenshots:

Spoiler

Spoiler

01.png

02.png

03.png

04.png

05.png

06.png

If you are having licensing issues, please do the following: 

Spoiler

For any of these issues:

• Renewals
  • Refunds (including double billing)
  • Cancellations
  • Update Billing Info
  • Multiple Transactions
  • Consumer Purchases
  • Transaction Receipt

Please contact our support team at https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/requests/new to get help

If you need help looking up your license details, please head here: Find my premium license key

Thanks in advance for your patience.

-The Malwarebytes Forum Team

• Root Admin

Hello @rcferris

I'm sorry to hear you experienced an issue with the licensing. I've checked on the Helpdesk and I'm not seeing a slew of users with any licensing issues from the update today. I've updated two of my own systems and had no issue with the license.

Have you restarted the computer?
Is the system still showing as not being activated?

Thank you

22 minutes ago, rcferris said:

Fortunately I was able to find my key on one of my other devices, but that's not the point.  The point is that either I have a two year subscription or I don't, and updates shouldn't lose my information.

Is your license active on more than 1 device?  If so, did you purchase a multi-seat/multi-device license, or is it a single device, multi-year license?  I ask because if the license was active on more than one system at a time, it might have deactivated on the machine during the update when it did its license check-in.  You should be able to sign up for an account at My.Malwarebytes.com to manage your licenses and devices, as well as to retrieve your license info if you ever need to.  To do so, please follow the instructions in this support article.

I came on here to see if others were reporting this issue. I manually checked for updates on one of my four machines today and got the update to 4.2. After the programme restarted it had reverted my premium product to a free version on a 14 day trial. I tried restarting the machine to see if it would right itself but it didn't. Fortunately I was able to simply reactivate it with the same licence. I've deliberately not checked for for updates on my other three machines yet, which are also all running premium versions. 

Since you asked the OP @exile360 the machine in question is the only one I have running a non-lifetime license. It's a license that is shared with my android phone (which appears to still be activated) and has 67 days remaining. It is a two year/two device license.

I have no idea what email was used for some of my older lifetime licenses, which might make reactivating difficult if it they get rejected when I try an activate.

Edited by catscomputer

Thanks for the info, I'll be sure to make a note of it that at least one other user was affected when reporting the issue to the Product team.

For your lifetime licenses, please see if the instructions in this support article are helpful.  You should be able to add your lifetime keys to your account using just the license ID and Key, even if you don't know the original email, at least according to the article.  If it doesn't work you'll need to contact Support and they should be able to get your licenses imported to your account for you.

31 minutes ago, smokeejoe said:

I also just downloaded the recent update and was given the Premium Trial. I have a license and the software should recognize that and not put me in a Trial period.

Please insert you license if you have not already done so.

31 minutes ago, smokeejoe said:

I just hope the recent update doesn't detect Firefox as a Trojan as previous updates have been prone to do.

It seem to happen to a few users. Research is looking at the issue.