Beta for Big Sur

Druitt

You mentioned that Big Sur wasn't stable enough in a previous message, but now that Public Beta 2 (actually Beta 5, I think) is out, has that changed? I'd be willing to beta test if you feel it's stable enough.

Even if it's only a file scan kind of thing -- maybe especially if it's only a file scan kind of thing -- I think it would be worth it. (I'm still trying to figure out whether I want anything in addition to the MacOS Firewall, Little Snitch, etc, but currently have no "scan the disk" kind of capability.)

If and when a beta version of Malwarebytes is ready for us to test, there will be an announcement to that effect in this forum, so stay tuned. Until then you can safely assume that either macOS Big Sur or Malwarebytes or both are not ready for testing and they never comment as to when it might be.

And if you feel the need for a traditional "scan every file on the disk" type of anti-malware software, look elsewhere as I can't imagine that Malwarebytes will ever develop such a product. It goes against everything they built their reputation on since their founding.

Ah, I guess I misunderstood the

Scans the average Mac in under 30 seconds. Run the malware scanner in the background while you boot up your favorite game and it's done by the time you're ready to play. You can even customize your scans to run when you're not using your Mac at all, at any day, at any time.

which seems to imply it actually scans the disk to look for things already on the disk. I guess it's just not "traditional" in doing so.

It does, however it does not check all files and locations, only those targeted by the Researchers and Developers based on known malware installation locations and loading points, similar to the default Threat scan in the Windows version.  In the Mac version, there is no option to perform any sort of custom or full scan, so if you seek a flat file scanner, a different solution might be best such as a traditional AV.  However, if you seek an efficient and effective anti-malware solution for MacOS, Malwarebytes should prove a valuable tool in your arsenal.

• 2 weeks later...