Malwarebytes still crashes even after Malwarebytes Support Tool

• Root Admin

Hello @dangitz

Please temporarily uninstall Malwarebytes.

Please also uninstall Bonjour

What exactly is mDNSResponder.exe?

https://www.groovypost.com/howto/howto/what-is-mdnsresponder-exe-and-why-is-it-running/

MDNSResponder, also known as Bonjour, is Apple’s native zero-configuration networking process for Mac that was ported over to Windows and associated with MDNSNSP.DLL.  On a Mac or iOS device, this program is used for networking nearly everything.  On Windows, this process is only necessary for sharing libraries via iTunes and other Mac applications like the Apple TV that were ported to Windows.  Bonjour allows different computers running iTunes to communicate with each other regardless of network configuration, this is because it enables automatic network discovery.

What Is mDNSResponder.exe / Bonjour and How Can I Uninstall or Remove It?
https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/6456/what-is-mdnsresponder.exe-bonjour-and-how-can-i-uninstall-or-remove-it/

Then restart the computer and temporarily disable your Avast antivirus and run the following

Let me have you run a different scanner to double-check. I don't expect it to find anything, but no harm in checking.

I would suggest a free scan with the ESET Online Scanner

Go to https://download.eset.com/com/eset/tools/online_scanner/latest/esetonlinescanner.exe

• It will start a download of "esetonlinescanner.exe"
  • Save the file to your system, such as the Downloads folder, or else to the Desktop.
  • Go to the saved file, and double click it to get it started. 
  • When presented with the initial ESET options, click on "Computer Scan".
  • Next, when prompted by Windows, allow it to start by clicking Yes 
  • When prompted for scan type, Click on Full scan 
  • Look at & tick  ( select )   the radio selection "Enable ESET to detect and quarantine potentially unwanted applications"   and click on Start scan button.
  • Have patience.  The entire process may take an hour or more. There is an initial update download.
  • There is a progress window display.
  • You should ignore all prompts to get the ESET antivirus software program.   ( e.g.  their standard program).   You do not need to buy or get or install anything else.
  • When the scan is completed, if something was found, it will show a screen with the number of detected items.  If so, click the button marked “View detected results”.
  • Click The blue “Save scan log” to save the log.
  • If something was removed and you know it is a false finding, you may click on the blue ”Restore cleaned files”  ( in blue, at bottom).
  • Press Continue when all done.  You should click to off the offer for “periodic scanning”.

HI again @AdvancedSetup 

So, I was terribly foolish and assumed that everything was good due to the popups disappearing and my computer being much faster than before. 

The ESET scan cleared me of many issues and I was confident that I could use Malwarebytes as my current protection. I used the support tool to clean my pc and reinstall Malwarebytes, but lo and behold; malwarebytes keeps on crashing whenever I try to run a scan. 

I am once more out of my depth, please help me if possible.

Thank you.

• Root Admin

Okay, please temporarily uninstall Malwarebytes and reboot.

Then post back a new FRST log. I'll review in the morning and assist you further.

Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to your desktop.

Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system.
You can check here if you're not sure if your computer is 32-bit or 64-bit

• Double-click to run it. When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
  • Press the Scan button.
  • It will make a log (FRST.txt) in the same directory the tool is run. Please attach it to your reply.
  • The first time the tool is run, it also makes another log (Addition.txt). Please attach it to your reply as well.

Thank you

• Root Admin

Are you sure you have not enabled or allowed Push Notifications on your browser?

https://blog.malwarebytes.com/security-world/technology/2019/01/browser-push-notifications-feature-asking-abused/

Turn notifications on or off - Google Chrome

Web Push notifications in Firefox

Please download the attached fixlist.txt file and save it to the Desktop or location where you ran FRST from.
NOTE. It's important that both files, FRST or FRST64, and fixlist.txt are in the same location or the fix will not work.

Please make sure you disable any real time antivirus or security software before running this script. Once completed make sure you re-enable it.

NOTICE: This script was written specifically for this user, for use on this particular machine. Running this on another machine may cause damage to your operating system that cannot be undone.

Run FRST or FRST64 and press the Fix button just once and wait.
If the tool needs a restart please make sure you let the system restart normally and let the tool complete its run after restart.
The tool will make a log on the Desktop (Fixlog.txt) or wherever you ran FRST from. Please attach or post it to your next reply.

Note: If the tool warned you about an outdated version please download and run the updated version.

NOTE-1:  This fix will run a scan to check that all Microsoft operating system files are valid and not corrupt and attempt to correct any invalid files. It will also run a disk check on the restart to ensure disk integrity. Depending on the speed of your computer this fix may take 30 minutes or more.

NOTE-2: As part of this fix all temporary files will be removed. If you have any open web pages that have not been bookmarked please make sure you bookmark them now as all open applications will be automatically closed. Also, make sure you know the passwords for all websites as cookies will also be removed. The use of an external password manager is highly recommended instead of using your browser to store passwords.

The following directories are emptied:

• Windows Temp
  • Users Temp folders
  • Edge, IE, FF, Chrome and Opera caches, HTML5 storages, Cookies and History
  • Recently opened files cache
  • Flash Player cache
  • Java cache
  • Steam HTML cache
  • Explorer thumbnail and icon cache
  • BITS transfer queue (qmgr*.dat files)
  • Recycle Bin

Important: items are permanently deleted. They are not moved to quarantine. If you have any questions or concerns please ask before running this fix.

The system will be rebooted after the fix has run.

fixlist.txt

Thanks

Hi, 

So, I do have my browser notifications off and I have an adblocker that doesn't let any popups, from a website, show.

My original popup concern had to do with an independant program launching on my desktop every 40 minutes that would try to connect to an external server. That is not manifesting itself anymore. 

I ran the FRST64 and made sure that the fixlist.txt was in the same location as the FRST64. 

When I ran it the first time, it immediately told me that the computer needed to restart, so I restarted the computer. 

When I restarted it, FRST64 did not immediately start up, so I waited 30 minutes and then I started the Fix feature on the FRST64 again and then it told me that the Dell foundation services had been terminated and that my computer was going to automatically reboot in les than one minute. Fine, I let it do it's thing and I logged on the computer again and waited again and ran FRST64 again. Same thing happened again for the next 3 times that I did this.

I have no antivirus installed, all my defenses are down. I don't know what else to do. I have attatched the log it created.

mbst-clean-results.txt

• Root Admin

Thank you @dangitz

Overall the log looks pretty good

Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired

Let me have you reboot the computer one more time. Then run FRST and post back the FRST and Additons.txt log files as an attachment

Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to your desktop.

Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system.
You can check here if you're not sure if your computer is 32-bit or 64-bit

• Double-click to run it. When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
  • Press the Scan button.
  • It will make a log (FRST.txt) in the same directory the tool is run. Please attach it to your reply.
  • The first time the tool is run, it also makes another log (Addition.txt). Please attach it to your reply as well.

Thank you

• Root Admin

You're quite welcome @dangitz

Good, good. The log is looking better. Let me have you run the following please.

SecurityCheck by glax24              

I would like you to run a tool named SecurityCheck to inquire on the current-security-update  status  of some applications.

• Download SecurityCheck by glax24 from here  https://tools.safezone.cc/glax24/SecurityCheck/SecurityCheck.exe
  • and save the tool on the desktop.
  • If Windows's  SmartScreen block that with a message-window, then
  • Click on the MORE INFO spot and over-ride that and allow it to proceed.
  • This tool is safe.   Smartscreen is overly sensitive.
  • Right-click  with your mouse on the Securitycheck.exe  and select "Run as administrator"   and reply YES to allow to run & go forward
  • Wait for the scan to finish. It will open in a text file named SecurityType.txt. Close the file.  Attach it with your next reply.
  • You can find this file in a folder called SecurityCheck, C:\SecurityCheck\SecurityCheck.txt

• Root Admin

Thank you again.

Please review and update as appropriate for your system.

------------------------------- [ Windows ] -------------------------------
Extended support has ended 14.01.2020, Your operating system may be vulnerable to new types of threats
Internet Explorer 11.0.9600.18097 Warning! Download Update

------------------------------- [ HotFix ] --------------------------------
HotFix KB3177467 Warning! Download Update
HotFix KB3125574 Warning! Download Update
HotFix KB4012212 Warning! Download Update
HotFix KB4499175 Warning! Download Update
HotFix KB4474419 Warning! Download Update
HotFix KB4490628 Warning! Download Update
HotFix KB4539602 Warning! Download Update

--------------------------- [ OtherUtilities ] ----------------------------
Microsoft Office 365 - en-us v.16.0.12527.20988 Warning! Download Update
How Install Office updates?

Microsoft .NET Framework 4.6.2 v.4.6.01590 Warning! Download Update

Zoom v.5.1 Warning! Download Update

--------------------------------- [ IM ] ----------------------------------
Skype version 8.62 v.8.62 Warning! Download Update

--------------------------- [ AppleProduction ] ---------------------------
iTunes v.12.10.7.3 Warning! Download Update

^Please use Apple Software Update tool.^

--------------------------- [ AdobeProduction ] ---------------------------
Adobe Flash Player 32 ActiveX v.32.0.0.387 Warning! Download Update

Adobe Reader XI (11.0.20)  MUI v.11.0.20 Warning! This software is no longer supported. Please uninstall it and use Adobe Acrobat Reader DC.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Root Admin

Glad we could help.

If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this topic with your request.

This applies only to the originator of this thread. Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread.

Please review the following for Tips to help protect from infection

Thank you