Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Gosh, thank goodness it was just a bug. I just got over my anxiety from when my laptop was infected with malware last month. I was about to have another meltdown. Thank you for resolving the issue quickly!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello Staff:

The App's "Force update" corrected today's 22 false positives for me.

Thank you!

Edited by 1PW
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, AdvancedSetup said:

The issue is resolved now. Updated malware db is now live. v2020.08.14.02.
Please do a manual database update, Hamburger thingy in upper left > Settings > Other > Force Update.

Tapping 'Force update' won't show a status notification, the update will take a minute or two to download and populate.
You can see what version of the malware db you have installed by tapping the Hamburger thingy in upper left > About >  App version down 'V' > Malware database

 

THIS DOES NOT WORK.

I followed the instructions and it did not stop the alerts. I have now done it 3 times, restarting each time. This is not a solution, I still have it alerting me to the false positives. 

What do we need to do to make this work?

Link to post
Share on other sites

(This is a copy of my post on another thread. Still waiting for a detailed explanation.)

 

This is not what we expect from Malwarebytes.

You should explain to us exactly what the problem was and how you will ensure it never happens again.

How many people woke up today to find 78 malwares reported?

How many dutifully tried to remove them, only to find they were "System apps" that needed to be ignored or "whitelisted"?

How many of your customers know what all of that means?

I rebooted and scanned again. I let Malwarebytes remove 23 of 77 (not 78 as reported the first scan) malwares.

I rebooted and scanned again - only 13 malwares reported.

Then I found the "Force Update" function, rebooted and scanned again - 0 malware.

So what 23 "malwares" did Malwarebytes remove earlier? How will that affect my phone? Were they real malware or was it "a mistake".

 

You must explain in detail before you lose a lot of credibility.

This is a sad day for Malwarebytes.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, RogerPhuket said:

(This is a copy of my post on another thread. Still waiting for a detailed explanation.)

 

This is not what we expect from Malwarebytes.

You should explain to us exactly what the problem was and how you will ensure it never happens again.

How many people woke up today to find 78 malwares reported?

How many dutifully tried to remove them, only to find they were "System apps" that needed to be ignored or "whitelisted"?

How many of your customers know what all of that means?

I rebooted and scanned again. I let Malwarebytes remove 23 of 77 (not 78 as reported the first scan) malwares.

I rebooted and scanned again - only 13 malwares reported.

Then I found the "Force Update" function, rebooted and scanned again - 0 malware.

So what 23 "malwares" did Malwarebytes remove earlier? How will that affect my phone? Were they real malware or was it "a mistake".

 

You must explain in detail before you lose a lot of credibility.

This is a sad day for Malwarebytes.

If you read the thread, it's already been answered: It was bad data from Malwarebytes, fixed by updating to the corrected data.  None of what was tagged with Pup.risktool.Callpay.lo was malware.  If you had a clean scan before this false positive, you would have a clean scan again after updating to the corrected Malwarebytes data, without having removed anything.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, AdvancedSetup said:

The issue is resolved now. Updated malware db is now live. v2020.08.14.02.
Please do a manual database update, Hamburger thingy in upper left > Settings > Other > Force Update.

Tapping 'Force update' won't show a status notification, the update will take a minute or two to download and populate.
You can see what version of the malware db you have installed by tapping the Hamburger thingy in upper left > About >  App version down 'V' > Malware database

 

This worked for me! Tapping on "Force Update" didn't do anything because I have automatic updates on and it was already updated. I just had to restart my device and that did the trick! Back to normal now! 

Thank you!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for addressing this so quickly. 

When the errors popped up (170 for me), they were obviously due to a bug, so I just uninstalled Malwarebytes and ran another free anti-virus tool (Bitdefender), which found no errors.

I used my laptop to come to this forum - and saw that the fix was being deployed. I reinstalled Malwarebytes from the Google Play store and clicked the database update button. 

Since doing that, everything has been fine - back to normal. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, KMWilber said:

If you read the thread, it's already been answered: It was bad data from Malwarebytes, fixed by updating to the corrected data.  None of what was tagged with Pup.risktool.Callpay.lo was malware.  If you had a clean scan before this false positive, you would have a clean scan again after updating to the corrected Malwarebytes data, without having removed anything.

Of course I read the thread. The cause of this problem has not been sufficiently explained. I want to know:

1. how this "bad data" was allowed to be downloaded to millions of users

2. what checks does Malwarebytes perform on their "data" before allowing it to be automatically downloaded to people's phones

3. does Malwarebytes update their own systems to test the "data" before allowing the update to be downloaded to everyone

4. has the person responsible for this chaos been reprimanded or, preferably, sacked

5. what changes have Malwarebytes implemented to their Quality Assurance procedures to ensure this will not happen again.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, RogerPhuket said:

Of course I read the thread. The cause of this problem has not been sufficiently explained. I want to know:

1. how this "bad data" was allowed to be downloaded to millions of users

2. what checks does Malwarebytes perform on their "data" before allowing it to be automatically downloaded to people's phones

3. does Malwarebytes update their own systems to test the "data" before allowing the update to be downloaded to everyone

4. has the person responsible for this chaos been reprimanded or, preferably, sacked

5. what changes have Malwarebytes implemented to their Quality Assurance procedures to ensure this will not happen again.

 

THIS 100%!!! As a paying customer I would also like to know how this happened and what is being done to prevent such a panic from happening again!

Not even a sorry!?!? Thank you for putting out a fix so quickly but you owe us an explanation!

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Stecnet said:

Not even a sorry!?!? Thank you for putting out a fix so quickly but you owe us an explanation!

Well, I'm not Malwarebytes, so I don't owe you anything.  I'm not sure why you want them to explain their internal processes and how the error got downloaded without testing.  It did.  That's pretty much all any software company will say to the public.  I'm sure if you press you'll get a generic "so sorry, and we will review our processes and do better",  which would still not answer your specific questions.  If I'm wrong, and they want to give out details, great.  It would be interesting to see.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I would think that at least you have the email addresses of the paid Android subscribers?  If so, why didn't you send them emails immediately on learning of this SNAFU!!!

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

23 hours ago, Stecnet said:
23 hours ago, RogerPhuket said:

Of course I read the thread. The cause of this problem has not been sufficiently explained. I want to know:

1. how this "bad data" was allowed to be downloaded to millions of users

2. what checks does Malwarebytes perform on their "data" before allowing it to be automatically downloaded to people's phones

3. does Malwarebytes update their own systems to test the "data" before allowing the update to be downloaded to everyone

4. has the person responsible for this chaos been reprimanded or, preferably, sacked

5. what changes have Malwarebytes implemented to their Quality Assurance procedures to ensure this will not happen again.

 

THIS 100%!!! As a paying customer I would also like to know how this happened and what is being done to prevent such a panic from happening again!

Not even a sorry!?!? Thank you for putting out a fix so quickly but you owe us an explanation!

So, is Malwarebytes not an ISO 9001 Accredited company?  https://the9000store.com/what-are-iso-9000-standards/what-is-iso-9001/ 

Does Malwarebytes not have a Quality Management System maintained by a Quality Assurance department?

Is Malwarebytes not regularly audited by an external Certification Body?

Does Malwarebytes not have Standard Operating Procedures which define the actions that must be taken before any product is released to the public?

Not surprisingly, when I was a Software Manager and Engineering Manager, the answer to all the above was "Yes".

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I am as pissed as anyone about this happening.  I had thought our phones were hacked and I immediately followed the MB suggestions to delete apps!

However, I do not agree with the "remedy" offered.  "Sacking" someone will not be as effective as having this learning experience deeply imbedded in the minds of all involved.

For now I have turned off all "Protection" from MB on our Androids and on our PCs, relying on other vendors for this extremely important protection.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow! So much anger! Try to keep in mind that Malwarebytes is run by human beings, not some infallible alien AI god, and save the vitriolic rants for social media. I've been using Malwarebytes for years and this is the first time I've had any issue with the product and they fixed it within a couple hour. That's an outstanding record in my book and I'll be continuing my subscription for the foreseeable future. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, RobCha66 said:

Wow! So much anger! Try to keep in mind that Malwarebytes is run by human beings, not some infallible alien AI god, and save the vitriolic rants for social media. I've been using Malwarebytes for years and this is the first time I've had any issue with the product and they fixed it within a couple hour. That's an outstanding record in my book and I'll be continuing my subscription for the foreseeable future. 

Now that I know that having "78 Malwares" reported by Malwarebytes on my phone is probably just "bad data" from Malwarebytes, I too will be continuing my subscription but will head straight to my Windows 10 PC the next time it happens to Google the problem before doing what my phone tells me to do which is to remove all the infected apps. We live and learn.

I note that in their Wikipedia entry there is no mention of a Quality Assurance manager:

As of 2018, key individuals working for Malwarebytes included:

  • Marcin Kleczynski – CEO

  • Tom Fox – chief financial officer

  • Adam Hyder – SVP of Engineering

  • Elena Verna – SVP of Consumer

  • Dariusz Paczuski - SVP of Marketing

  • Akshay Bhargava – Chief Product Officer

  • Pedro Bustamante – Vice President of Technology

  • Fernando Francisco – Vice President of Corporate Development and Strategy

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malwarebytes

In my company, the Quality Assurance manager was at the same level as the Hardware Manager, Software Manager and Production Manager and reported directly to the General Manager (CEO). But then, my company was ISO 9001 Certified.

Also, there wouldn't be a need for a "False Positives" forum if the "Bad  data" was tested sufficiently on multiple phones (maybe on a few dozen of their 800 employees' phones?) before being released out in the wild. Have Malwarebytes not heard of "Field trials"? This is what my company did after all "code walkthroughs" and in-house testing was complete: we released the software under controlled conditions to participating customers. Only after successful field trials was any software released to the world.

Still waiting for a full explanation from the company.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought the company responded quickly and efficiently. Even the best quality control has problems but prompt and courteous response and customer service did not fail here. Thanks to all the staff that responded so well.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/17/2020 at 4:31 AM, Bmcc said:

I thought the company responded quickly and efficiently. Even the best quality control has problems but prompt and courteous response and customer service did not fail here. Thanks to all the staff that responded so well.

Rubbish. The "false positives" problem is simple to prevent - update all Malwarebytes employees' phones one day before releasing to the world.

This problem should NEVER happen

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


Back to top
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

This site uses cookies - We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.