First time user of malwarebytes for mac. - Questions.

Hi there, I am a new adopter of malwarebytes for mac, so if the question seems simple, please pardon me. I am abit worried for my mac safety. 

Can I ask, how do i know I am using the legit version of malwarebytes (I am assuming that there are no phishing sites posing as malwarebytes) I downloaded and scanned my files - it was pretty quick and nothing has been found. 

Secondly, is it possible for malwarebytes to scan for keyloggers in my mac? 

Kind regards, 

Bear. 

First, welcome to the Forum.

As to your first question, see https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/articles/360038524514-Verify-Malwarebytes-for-Mac-v3-hasn-t-been-tampered. Although it was written for v3 the same applies for v4. 

Malwarebytes scans for all types of currently known active malware that impacts macOS and it's applications, which includes computer viruses, worms, Trojan horses, ransomware, spyware (key loggers, etc.), adware, rogue software, and scareware. It will also identify Possibly Unwanted Programs (PUPs).

Edited by alvarnell

Hello and thank you for your reply.

[1] Is it safe for me to go verify the application as I did not have a chance to verify the installer. Do I have to reinstall again to verify the installer and then the application? 

[2] When i executed this command "spctl --assess --verbose=4 /Applications/Malwarebytes.app" (under the second step of verifying the application) - it gives "source=Notarized Developer ID" instead of "source=Developer ID". Is it still safe to use the app? 

Kind regards. 

4 hours ago, bear78543 said:

Hello and thank you for your reply.

[1] Is it safe for me to go verify the application as I did not have a chance to verify the installer. Do I have to reinstall again to verify the installer and then the application? 

[2] When i executed this command "spctl --assess --verbose=4 /Applications/Malwarebytes.app" (under the second step of verifying the application) - it gives "source=Notarized Developer ID" instead of "source=Developer ID". Is it still safe to use the app? 

Kind regards. 

What is there to verify?  Did you download the program from malwarebytes or somewhere else?  If so, it’s fine.

As long as the application verifies, there is little point in verifying the installer now. If for some reason it was a fake installer with a legit application along with some malware and you already installed it, the damage would have been done (however there is no evidence of there ever having been such a malicious Malwarebytes for Mac installer). Malwarebytes would likely find any such malicious extra payload anyway.

As long as the developer ID matches you can ignore the rest. App notarization is a recent enhancement by Apple indicating that the developer ask for it and Apple check the app out and issued that notarization back to the developer before they released it here. So it's actually safer than an app that doesn't have that.

1 hour ago, GuruGuy said:

Did you download the program from malwarebytes or somewhere else?

There have been a couple of examples where a site has been hacked and a legitimate application has been replaced by Ransomware (Transmission & OnyX). That's unlikely to happen here, but there is always that possibility, so the OP is somewhat safer to conduct such a verification.

You don't know WHERE the op downloaded the software.  OP doesn't say in first post, so a lot of jumping through hoops without knowing if it came direct from Malwarebytes.com which would make it just fine and get on with your day...

1 minute ago, GuruGuy said:

if it came direct from Malwarebytes.com which would make it just fine and get on with your day...

Sorry I wasn't clear. It's not absolutely safe to assume that something downloaded from Malwarebytes site is "fine," as the two examples I gave indicate. Both those apps were downloaded from developer sites that were hacked.

1 minute ago, alvarnell said:

Sorry I wasn't clear. It's not absolutely safe to assume that something downloaded from Malwarebytes site is "fine," as the two examples I gave indicate. Both those apps were downloaded from developer sites that were hacked.

Wow, you've opened a can of worms with that statement.  

5 hours ago, alvarnell said:

Right, this is why we have things like digital signing for applications and executables, security certificates and similar technologies and systems in order to help curb this very type of malicious activity.  This new notarization feature/system is simply a similar type of program being leveraged to help accomplish the same things, enabling users to have more trust in the knowledge that the files they are downloading, and apps they are executing on their systems are safe and valid.