10 minutes ago, exile360 said:

Unless he's done it before and knows that it works, but as I understand it, any time you try to change the type of partition, it has to overwrite/delete the existing partition, which of course would erase all existing data on the drive.

As I explained previously, it will place all existing files from the old Windows installation (including any that may be corrupt) into an inactive folder called Windows.Old.  It will create a completely fresh/new Windows system folder along with all the other folders created during the installation of Windows.

Okay I will do the same thing again from the original tutorial video you sent me. Maybe it didn't run before because I didn't turn up legacy mode. Also about Windows.old, its supposed to be where I get my files back right? Maybe just maybe, the error message that appears when I click Upgrade option is just an excuse to mean the drive is MBR and flash drive installation is GPT. Because in the Custom option that error occurs and doesn't allow me to install on any of the partitions.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Dankiedoge I have never seen that error before but one thing for sure is you have to have the Bios set to Legacy Mode and Secure Boot off. I would stick with the original plan so you don't lose the backup partition because if you lose that your old Windows is gone forever. One thing for sure is that when you start the process it will let you know to save other data which is a must. If you don't see that then don't continue.Turn on Legacy Mode and I believe you will have success. My last post because I don't want to cause anymore confusion. I sincerely apologize.

15 hours ago, exile360 said:

Good luck, I hope all goes well :) 

All right i've made the flash drive bootable again, the Upgrade option still has the error but Custom can now be installed in. The partition I pick here is the partition where my system files are right? I'll just pick the partition with the system files and leave the partition with personal information unharmed. Does that sound good?

Okay while you are here i've finished the installation process and my windows is back. But new problems sprung, the pc can't search for a wifi because it doesn't have network driver. How do I fix that? Also my resolution is now limited to 1152x864 i'm guessing that's monitor driver too? How am I supposed to install the drivers if I can't connect to the wifi?

Okay this is for @exile360 and the others in case they are available tommorrow. I have managed to complete the setup and I have installed it but the devices' drivers have been uninstalled(even my network adapter). Seems like the installation wasn't the final part, I expected all drivers to be automatically installed as they were already before. In my case, the old drivers might be in my windows.old folder but I don't know where specifically. Please help me install my drivers also it said the days i've got left before product key activation are 3 days only.

• Staff

Go to your motherboard manufacturer's website and get the latest drivers for your system and install them.  It's a Gigabyte board, so find out the model number and go to the support/drivers/downloads page for that motherboard and get them and install them one at a time, restarting the system if prompted each time until you have all the drivers installed and up to date.