• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh okay, are my data sure to be backed up in windows.old though? Like are there some rare times where not all are stored, I might be paranoid. Exile i'm not sure of my final choice, the owner of the pc said that I should do what I must. I'm alright with either choices to backup everything slowly to cloud via flash drive, or go ahead and do the setup already. I'm still backing up 1/4 of the data(i'm using multiple google drive accs), or I could just stop being a paranoid and do this. What do you think?

Obviously nothing is 100% but I'm not aware of anyone losing data from an in-place update reinstall.

Again, if the data is very important to you then it would be wise to take the time to backup to the Cloud or consider purchasing some type of external USB backup device.

Just now, AdvancedSetup said:

Obviously nothing is 100% but I'm not aware of anyone losing data from an in-place update reinstall.

Again, if the data is very important to you then it would be wise to take the time to backup to the Cloud or consider purchasing some type of external USB backup device.

Alright i'll continue to do so, I mean i'm the one guilty of breaking the pc so I should take the time to backup everything. I shouldn't rush just to play some game.

Hey exile, I want to ask you about something. Earlier, when you told me that the Upgrade choice will not delete my data that considers Custom will delete my data right? Does that mean its not a guarantee my stuff will be in windows.old?

Just make sure that it says that your files and data will be backed up and you'll be fine.  As long as it says it will place the files in the Windows.Old folder, it will do so, which should prevent any data loss.

Quick question, if I perform the clean install will the previous product key stay or get erased? I tried doing the cmd command to show the product key but it just errors. I know I can skip and type it in later but I might forever lose the product key. Also is there another method to see the product key without looking behind monitor?

Also wait, if I select custom and install windows 7 on the 😄 partition it will replace all system files there so does that mean by 😧 drive(where my data are) is safe? Or will still be affected?

It will only install on C:\ and won't touch your other drive and it will backup all of your system files into the Windows.Old folder.

I do not know how to retrieve the product key from a system that will not boot into Windows so I can't help you with that unfortunately, however you should be able to use the free trial by selecting the option to skip entering your product key, then you can get the key from your friend once he returns.  You can use Windows in trial mode until then as it hurts nothing.

What do you think this means? It said something about the partition having an MBR table. Idk what it means the closes thing I could think about is maybe its because my flash drive is fat32? Cuz remember in my older post the MBR choice the tut guy in the video you showed me recommended MBR but MBR locks NTFS and not FAT32. Sorry if this is getting a little frustrating.IMG_20200812_203036.thumb.jpg.969efbaaa49f5b2a66d8fd84516540a0.jpg

I see, that's a very helpful and informative reply. But i've yet to confirm it as an answer, i'll take a look into the methods tommorrow. One thing has me confused though, when I boot into BIOS, the top title says "BIOS - UEFI" that means its GPT right? But no, what I sent you guys said that the disks are MBR but isn't MBR against UEFI as what you sent me said? I'm very confused.

@Dankiedoge All I can do is refer you back to this post I made however your Bios system may be completely different from mine.

Hang in there @exile360 will be able to help better than I can and sorry I not trying to confuse you. I remember it was a PITB to do for me too but my situation was completely different from yours and I didn't have the issues about booting into Windows.

@Dankiedoge I totally agree with @exile360 you will have to set your bios to Legacy mode before you can move forward and that is why I directed you to my post 67. I really believe you will have your issues whipped other than getting a new key and you said that you would be able to do. Just don’t enter one and you will be good to go. It’s a shame that you cannot boot into to Windows because Microsoft would remember your old key and would generate a digital one for you. Hang in there because you are doing very well. 

3 hours ago, Hardhead said:

@Dankiedoge I totally agree with @exile360 you will have to set your bios to Legacy mode before you can move forward and that is why I directed you to my post 67. I really believe you will have your issues whipped other than getting a new key and you said that you would be able to do. Just don’t enter one and you will be good to go. It’s a shame that you cannot boot into to Windows because Microsoft would remember your old key and would generate a digital one for you. Hang in there because you are doing very well. 

Yes, there's a cmd command to show the product key but it just errors on me. I tried to find it in registry but the key is missing, all of this almost feels like a setup for my suffering :<

In Hardhead's method, I have to change the MBR partition to GPT and the website makes it clear that its the only solution. Can it work the other way around? Because my usb installation is GPT-FAT32, if I do it again and revert it to MBR-NTFS it might work without using EaseUS. Though i'm not sure it will boot again, because as I did before it just brings me to windows error recovery. I'll give it another shot and do some BIOS tweaking.

@exile360Alright, I was still hoping that I could just Upgrade instead though. @Hardhead have you found a website solution of "the computer started using the windows installation disc"? I'm thinking if I change the partition to GPT with EaseUS then I will be able to Upgrade because that error message might be connected to the Custom option. Are there any cons or things I'll have to know when I change the partition to GPT?

1 hour ago, Dankiedoge said:

I'm just gonna use rufus to reformat my flash drive so that I can have EaseUS

That's what you have to do if you don't want to use it as a Windows recovery disc any more, though I would recommend against messing with the partition of the drive of the system, because if you do change its partition type, that WILL delete all data from the existing Windows installation.

Additionally, the reason you couldn't recover the Windows license key from the recovery environment is because it is not loading the registry from the offline WIndows installation so it cannot read it; it's loading an offline version of Windows directly from the bootable media (either your flash drive or the hidden system recovery partition that it starts up with when showing the recovery and repair options).

That makes a lot of sense now. So Hardhead's idea is not gonna work out for me because of my important data right? I've managed to make an EaseUS Partition Master bootable usb by the free trial though(It actually booted in and ran the program I just changed BIOS settings from UEFI to Legacy). So should I scrap this? Also about what I said earlier, about Upgrade message error connected to Custom message error when installing windows 7? Also when you said before that Upgrade option will not replace anything, does that mean my old corrupted system files will linger?

Unless he's done it before and knows that it works, but as I understand it, any time you try to change the type of partition, it has to overwrite/delete the existing partition, which of course would erase all existing data on the drive.

As I explained previously, it will place all existing files from the old Windows installation (including any that may be corrupt) into an inactive folder called Windows.Old.  It will create a completely fresh/new Windows system folder along with all the other folders created during the installation of Windows.