• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alright i'll try what u said. To boot in USB I must press F12 when the pc's logo appears right? If I press F12 it brings up which device should I boot and also the BIOS setup option. There's an option to boot my Cruzer Glider(Flash drive with win 7 installation) but it just brings me to windows error recovery and redos the black screen again. Its like i'm not even booting in at all.

1 hour ago, Dankiedoge said:

Yes I'm quite sure. Though it doesn't tell me that I need the key, can you help me with the problem i've mentioned above?

Sorry, I do not try to walk some one thru rescuing a computer in a forum setting. Especially with Windows 7.

Once you finally get to the install, you will need the key.

I usually suggest in cases like this one looks into a local computer repair shop for assistance.

Getting Windows 7 to install on newer systems is definitely tricky.  I've struggled with it numerous times on some of my own systems as I stuck with 7 for along time after Windows 10 was released.  It can be a real pain, especially with different motherboards/BIOS' handling booting differently with their own quirks.  It may be best to see about getting help from your friend, as they may be more familiar with it, especially if they were the one who set it up with 7 in the first place (i.e., if your friend built the system, then your friend likely dealt with the same hurdles to get Windows 7 installed and likely knows how to get through it on that particular system).

In the meantime, nothing has been done to the system to harm any of your friend's data from the original installation of Windows, so no harm is done.  Just be sure never to select the Custom option and don't delete the partition and you or your friend can always recover the data from the drive.

I did have another thought though; what if the reason that startup repair and the other options didn't work previously because Windows lacked the NVMe drivers?  If that is the case, you might be able to get Startup Repair to work from your flash drive since you already added those drivers to it earlier to attempt the upgrade install.  It might be worth a shot to see if Startup Repair or System Restore will work booted into the recovery environment from the flash drive.  Just hit F12 and select your flash drive to boot, and see if either of those options will get the system to boot up again.

5 hours ago, Porthos said:

Sorry, I do not try to walk some one thru rescuing a computer in a forum setting. Especially with Windows 7.

Once you finally get to the install, you will need the key.

I usually suggest in cases like this one looks into a local computer repair shop for assistance.

That's okay thanks for the tip but right now during this pandemic the last thing my family wants is to have a stranger come in our house nor one of us come out for an *unimportant* task.

5 hours ago, exile360 said:

Getting Windows 7 to install on newer systems is definitely tricky.  I've struggled with it numerous times on some of my own systems as I stuck with 7 for along time after Windows 10 was released.  It can be a real pain, especially with different motherboards/BIOS' handling booting differently with their own quirks.  It may be best to see about getting help from your friend, as they may be more familiar with it, especially if they were the one who set it up with 7 in the first place (i.e., if your friend built the system, then your friend likely dealt with the same hurdles to get Windows 7 installed and likely knows how to get through it on that particular system).

In the meantime, nothing has been done to the system to harm any of your friend's data from the original installation of Windows, so no harm is done.  Just be sure never to select the Custom option and don't delete the partition and you or your friend can always recover the data from the drive.

I did have another thought though; what if the reason that startup repair and the other options didn't work previously because Windows lacked the NVMe drivers?  If that is the case, you might be able to get Startup Repair to work from your flash drive since you already added those drivers to it earlier to attempt the upgrade install.  It might be worth a shot to see if Startup Repair or System Restore will work booted into the recovery environment from the flash drive.  Just hit F12 and select your flash drive to boot, and see if either of those options will get the system to boot up again.

Thank you, I really appreciate your sympathy. Well i've been trying to contact him(he's doing work in another city), the best I got is that he'll fix it when he returns which is next week. And about the NVMe drivers, that unfortunately didn't work out. I'll keep trying to find a way to boot this from USB i'm quite sure there's something blocking it.

You need the right NVMe drivers and when you see that error about the missing CD/DVD drive you select the option to install a driver from disk then browse to the driver you added to the USB and it should then install it and see the existing drive and the copy of Windows installed on it.  Getting the right driver and selecting the right file can take time.

Ah I see, but I also saw something new. https://neosmart.net/wiki/troubleshooting-boot-from-usb/ - This website tells me that I should've formatted the USB to FAT32 other than NTFS. Maybe the guy that did the tut in the video you shared did format it to FAT32 but I didn't follow. I've set my USB as the main boot device in BIOS(I've found out that if a device isn't bootable or isn't recognized to be bootable it will boot up other devices instead. Hence why it boots into windows error recovery), after which gave me a message that I should insert proper boot device, that's my final proof that its my USB that's the problem. I'm gonna redo it and download Windows 7 x64 ultimate from the microsoft website this time and format it to FAT32. Tell me if what i'm planning is good or not 

In fact, yes, if it were me, I'd try doing everything exactly as the example/instructions provided recommend, otherwise it is likely not to work.  As I mentioned earlier, as long as you don't delete the old Windows partition and you only select the Upgrade option, it should be fine as far as protecting the data is concerned.

4 hours ago, exile360 said:

In fact, yes, if it were me, I'd try doing everything exactly as the example/instructions provided recommend, otherwise it is likely not to work.  As I mentioned earlier, as long as you don't delete the old Windows partition and you only select the Upgrade option, it should be fine as far as protecting the data is concerned.

Man this sure is a headache to solve. So I reinstalled it in FAT32 but I realized that the tut guy in fact used NTFS maybe its bcoz difference from our systems? Because in Rufus I can only change it to FAT32 if I change MBR to GPT(which the tut guy recommends the viewer to pick MBR), if I select MBR the choice is only NTFS so to get FAT32 I have to not get MBR. And now when I booted in USB it finally worked out, I got in and another message popped out saying "That this program was made by Rufus. This device can only run in UEFI." Then yada2x told me to prioritize UEFI not Legacy and it didn't work so I disabled Legacy and I finally booted in USB. But after I clicked Upgrade the message(The computer has started windows installation disc) popped up again. This was getting on my nerves so I clicked Custom(to find more info) and when I clicked on a partition it displayed an error below. It explained "Cannot install this parition because it supports MBR something like that and Windows needs GPT partition to install", could that somehow be related to why that message "The computer has started windows installation disc" still appears? Also exile I want you to check this post, its the same problem i'm having but the answer is- https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/when-trying-to-install-windows-7-64-bit-it-asks-to/062d1422-116e-4d96-9b7e-9ec48b2dc923

5 minutes ago, exile360 said:

I think the system needs to be in legacy mode for Windows 7, as 8 was the first OS to support UEFI, at least as I understand it.  That could be the issue.

Alright and about the link I sent you? It worked out foe him should I do it?

Hey man sorry for the late reply, power outage August month really hates me. I'm thinking that I should backup everything in my flash drive before I go through this. I can't take "files will be saved in windows.olf" for granted, and many others have told me to always backup. Right now the best I could think of is placing as much as I can in the usb then to google drive, 14gb at a time it should work out even if its long.

Yes, no harm in being careful and doing backups.  If the data is important to you, then the more backups you can create, the better.  You might also consider purchasing a new internal SATA drive to install and use for backups, as they are much cheaper than external drives and you would still be able to backup all the data (and you could even create a full image backup of the entire drive if you wanted) and it would be a lot faster (and more secure) than uploading everything to the cloud.

You might also consider shrinking the volume size. Then create a new volume and move any data you want to keep into that new volume. Then install Windows 10 into the old original Windows 7 volume and see if it will update and run.

Just another idea.

Shrinking the System Partition in Windows 7
https://petri.com/shrink-system-partition-in-windows-7

How to Get Around Windows’ “Shrink Volume” Inadequacy Problems
https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/working-around-windows-vistas-shrink-volume-inadequacy-problems/

Using GParted to Resize Your Windows 7 or Vista Partition
https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/using-gparted-to-resize-your-windows-vista-partition/

Is it safe to resize Windows partition with GParted?
https://superuser.com/questions/821131/is-it-safe-to-resize-windows-partition-with-gparted

Use GParted Windows 7 Partition Software to Resize Partition
https://www.diskpart.com/windows-7/gparted-windows-7-4125.html

AOMEI Partition Assistant Resources
https://www.diskpart.com/windows-7/

@AdvancedSetup , remember I went through the same thing when I downgraded from Windows 8.1 to Windows 7 and I had to make several changes in the bios and finally got it to boot to the iso and was able to install Windows x64 Pro. Had to be in Legancy mode, secure boot had to be disabled. Boot mode was set CMS. I used Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool from MS and I got files copied successfully however it was unable to run bootsec to make usb device bootable. I ran the following cmd. Admin command prompt. 
C:/Windows\system32>bootsect  /nt60 F:  /force  /mbr 

I was able to do a clean install and Windows 64 Pro. 
Hope that helps because I kept all the pictures on my phone.  
There’s a space after bootsect, F: and force. 
1B8FB6C3-0DA4-4487-8073-56F63C99ABAB.thumb.jpeg.7649f5a0efd5e654489584606d244f7e.jpeg

Edited by Hardhead
Add info and pic

Thanks for the ideas guys. I'm interested in AdvancedSetup's idea in lowering the volume to make a new one i'll give that a shot. Does installing windows 7 keep your created volumes? Also Hardhead yours seem interesting too, can you explain how you backed up your stuff?

@Dankiedoge , You may wanna stick with @AdvancedSetup method because I'm not really sure if the USB/DVD Download Tool from MS is still available for Windows 7. @AdvancedSetup would be able to let you know. He's the one that helped me with mine and all was great until my Enterprise license I got expired after 3 months. I recon it had been used one to many times. As far as backing up files you wanna be sure to go to the manufacture website of you computer and make sure you have the latest drivers. Store everything on an external hard drive along with Documents, Music, and downloads.If you are running Outlook you want to back up the .pst file. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/back-up-your-email-e5845b0b-1aeb-424f-924c-aa1c33b18833 There should also be a folder in Documents/ Outlook Files/.pst This will restore all you email using the link above. Just keep in mind that all computers are different and my directions as far as the bios setting may be different but they should be the exact same way I set mine up. I don't see any difference but check with @AdvancedSetup just to be sure. All I can tell you the @AdvancedSetup helped me and everything worked great. I hope everything goes well for you and I have faith that @AdvancedSetup along with @exile360 will guide you very well.

Below is the message I got when I booted and was using the USB/DVD Download Tool from MS.   After that is when I forced the bootsect with the pictures posted in my first posts and was able to move forward and install Windows 7 Pro 64bit. 

40C5CF25-FF61-4E18-8647-35D8A304711C.thumb.jpeg.301325a2cd2434a4bd1d6e41adba9a31.jpeg

Alright can someone provide me steps to do what AdvancedSetup mentioned? The one with shrinking volumes to make a new one? I am only able to access the cmd through recovery mode.

Performing this task is very risky and could very easily render total data loss. Without the data truly being backed up you have to decide is it really worth risking possible full data loss

Then perhaps the simplest solution would be to proceed with the Windows reinstall and let Windows back everything up into the Windows.old folder as suggested at the start?  Is there much risk of data loss in doing that?