exile360

Importing bookmarks into Firefox from Iron (Chrome/Chromium)

I finally found out how to export my bookmarks from SRWare Iron (a Chromium based browser) to Mozilla Firefox, however quite annoyingly, I discovered that doing so automatically places all my exported bookmarks into their own folder, rather than placing them within the root of the Firefox bookmarks bar as I had them in Iron.  What's worse, since these browsers use data files for storing bookmarks rather than actual folders containing actual shortcuts (as Internet Explorer did/does; a highly underrated feature in my opinion), there is no easy way I can find to just move all of my bookmarks from within this new folder it created to the root of the bookmarks bar itself short of dragging and dropping each individual shortcut (there are hundreds, along with tons of nested folders) which would take way too long.  With IE, all I had to do was go to the data folder within my profile where the favorites are stored, select them all via a keyboard shortcut or by dragging my mouse, then drag or cut/paste them from one folder to another, then delete the now empty folder where they originally resided.

I get that it is 'cleaner', and certainly at least slightly less space consuming to use a data file for storing bookmarks, but it also means we are very restricted in what we can and cannot do with them with regards to organization.

Anybody got any idea how to rectify this?

I also had the issue that Firefox didn't even see my browser, so I had to manually export my bookmarks to an HTML file, then import that into Firefox.  I could try editing the exported file, however I suspect there is no way to indicate that the bookmarks are not contained with in a folder (and even if there were, I suspect that Firefox would automatically place them all in a folder anyway, at least based on what I read about importing bookmarks into Firefox from their support site).

11 minutes ago, exile360 said:

from SRWare Iron (a Chromium based browser) to Mozilla Firefox

Are you just doing it to do it or are you seeing the Firefox light so to speak. I thought you would never set aside your Chromium browser.

I use both and pretty much always have (I used 3 before finally ditching IE as my Windows 7 days came to an end).

You could manually copy and paste the items in the folder in to the main bookmark section. I need to log into another firefox profile to possibly create screenshots.

Except for a Bookmarks/Favourites Toolbar use, I keep all my Links ( .URL files ) as disk files in a C:\Web Sites\  folder and I just set the Default Browser.  This gives me full control of my Web Links, allows me to back them up as regular disk files and use them in any Browser or easily manipulate them.

About 10 years ago I had about 2,400+ bookmarked sites. That shows you how much I researched, read, etc. Today I probably have less than 200 but actively only use about a dozen or so on the daily. Today I rarely bookmark and use Google or Bing for most quick searches. For more esoteric searches I use some other methods. I only bookmark if I keep going back over and over again. So before having an extension that would go out and check each of my bookmarks to see if the page had changed and then alert me was useful. I still visit a lot of different sites and read probably as much now as before, just don't bookmark much.

8 hours ago, AdvancedSetup said:

About 10 years ago I had about 2,400+ bookmarked sites. That shows you how much I researched, read, etc. Today I probably have less than 200 but actively only use about a dozen or so on the daily. Today I rarely bookmark and use Google or Bing for most quick searches. For more esoteric searches I use some other methods. I only bookmark if I keep going back over and over again. So before having an extension that would go out and check each of my bookmarks to see if the page had changed and then alert me was useful. I still visit a lot of different sites and read probably as much now as before, just don't bookmark much.

me too i rarely bookmark much anymore

11 hours ago, Porthos said:

You could manually copy and paste the items in the folder in to the main bookmark section. I need to log into another firefox profile to possibly create screenshots.

How?  I see no place which allows me to select more than 1 at a time because everything is a 'menu' rather than an actual folder.  That's what I was saying in the first place and why I liked IE so much, because it actually stores favorites as individual URL shortcuts in a folder within Explorer, but these 'modern' browsers store it in a single data file making managing multiple bookmarks at once an apparent impossibility.  All I want to do is extract all of them from this folder it's placed them in and drop them into the parent/root directory for my favorites bar.