Version 4.5.14 Weird behavior

Regarding the Last Protection Update Check description and the number of times I've posted here about this being erratic.  Found this:  https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/articles/360038520234-Malwarebytes-for-Mac-menu-bar-access

• Last Protection Update Check: displays when the most recent database update check occurred and updated. This item is not clickable.

Note that it says "...AND UPDATED"

So that would be the reason why I don't see an hourly time stamp when it's set to check hourly and the times appear so erratic.  Not a single person pointed this out in this thread, no fault of theirs since they may not have know.  However, the developer responded a couple of times, and no mention from him either.  That would have solved that mystery several days ago.

My other reported issues have remained absent since turning the App Block off.  It'll remain that way till the license expires for the two Macs.  Those wont be renewed.  The windows licenses I have will not be renewed either.

Didn't get the link I asked for either for the previous version.  That's fine.  I'll spend my $$ elsewhere.

@GuruGuy

• On my Mac, the definition update, set every hour, happens almost every hour (rarely skips one) and in any case it happens every time the scheduled / manual scan is performed.
  • Scanning occurs regularly; if the Mac is off or asleep at the set time, it always retrieves it.
  • The last problems I reported about waking up the Mac seem to have disappeared a couple of days after resetting PRAM and SMC and starting the Mac in Safe Mode.
  • The Real-Time protections are both active. (Both Malware Protection and App Block)
  • Perhaps, at this point, the problem lies with your machine: it is an eventuality that I would not completely rule out.
  • I would advise you to try a combo-update and any subsequent additional updates, after backing up with Time-Machine. (At this time Catalina 10.15.6 Combo of 15/07/2020 and to follow yesterday's additional update or alternatively wait for the new combo that will be released in days).

I hope I was helpful

1 minute ago, MAXBAR1 said:

@GuruGuy

• On my Mac, the definition update, set every hour, happens almost every hour (rarely skips one) and in any case it happens every time the scheduled / manual scan is performed.
  • Scanning occurs regularly; if the Mac is off or asleep at the set time, it always retrieves it.
  • The last problems I reported about waking up the Mac seem to have disappeared a couple of days after resetting PRAM and SMC and starting the Mac in Safe Mode.
  • The Real-Time protections are both active. (Both Malware Protection and App Block)
  • Perhaps, at this point, the problem lies with your machine: it is an eventuality that I would not completely rule out.
  • I would advise you to try a combo-update and any subsequent additional updates, after backing up with Time-Machine. (At this time Catalina 10.15.6 Combo of 15/07/2020 and to follow yesterday's additional update or alternatively wait for the new combo that will be released in days).

I hope I was helpful

Thanks.  Not the Macs, it’s the software.  App block off now and issues stopped.  Catalina supplemental update was installed yesterday, thanks for that tip though.

you may be seeing hourly update stamps but I don’t.  Probably due to being on battery, lid closed often, other variables, etc.  Not an issue anymore since I found the correct description of that item, pointed out already.

mods may close this thread...

• Staff
6 hours ago, GuruGuy said:

So that would be the reason why I don't see an hourly time stamp when it's set to check hourly and the times appear so erratic.  Not a single person pointed this out in this thread, no fault of theirs since they may not have know.  However, the developer responded a couple of times, and no mention from him either.  That would have solved that mystery several days ago.

That's because that actually is not correct. I'll make sure that gets corrected. The date of the last protection update check shown in the menu should change once per hour, if it's able to (eg, the machine is online, turned on, the software is fully functional, the settings haven't been changed, etc).

There's every indication here that something is wrong with the installation on your system. You've got multiple issues that all indicate that the background processes are not working as expected. I can't say what's going on without more information, though. I'd be glad to help you troubleshoot further, but from your final comment I'm guessing that's not an option. Correct me if I'm wrong.