GuruGuy

Version 4.5.14 Weird behavior

System updated this morning (2 mac's actually) and I've seem some odd behavior on both within the last 10 hours.  Chrome fails to open quite a bit, just a bouncing chrome in the dock.  Force close a couple of times and eventually it opens.  Opened MB program a couple of times and it failed to open; had a oops something went wrong box and to restart as a possible fix...

Gonna untick the App Block setting and see if that does anything.

Anyone updated yet and seen any issues...

Hello @GuruGuy:

To begin further analysis, please gather and post in your next reply to this topic:

• macOS System Version and build: Apple Menu -> About This Mac -> System Report... (button) -> (left pane) select Software  -> (right pane) System Version and (build).

Thank you.

Just now, 1PW said:

Hello @GuruGuy:

To begin further analysis, please gather and post in your next reply to this topic:

• macOS System Version and build: Apple Menu -> About This Mac -> System Report... (button) -> (left pane) select Software  -> (right pane) System Version and (build).

Thank you.

Catalina 10.15.6

In the beta forum there is a similar post as mine referencing the bouncing ball issue I've described.  

I don't have the issue with the bouncing app icons, but since 4.5, the RTProtectionDaemon is constantly using around 80% of my CPU and my fans are turning on.

4 minutes ago, iDjay said:

I don't have the issue with the bouncing app icons, but since 4.5, the RTProtectionDaemon is constantly using around 80% of my CPU and my fans are turning on. Catalina 10.15.6

Bildschirmfoto 2020-08-01 um 12.13.20.png

11 minutes ago, iDjay said:

I don't have the issue with the bouncing app icons, but since 4.5, the RTProtectionDaemon is constantly using around 80% of my CPU and my fans are turning on.

I haven't seen this issue, mine stays around 0.2% with the occasional spike up to around 35%.  I've turned off the app block setting and so far I haven't seen any of the bouncing ball dock / failure to open issues or the Oops error when opening the Malwarebytes program.  I'll keep an eye on it today and see...

10 minutes ago, GuruGuy said:

I haven't seen this issue, mine stays around 0.2% with the occasional spike up to around 35%.  I've turned off the app block setting and so far I haven't seen any of the bouncing ball dock / failure to open issues or the Oops error when opening the Malwarebytes program.  I'll keep an eye on it today and see...

I turned both off now, to be honest there's no need to have both enabled all the time on macOS ( I know @treed is going to deny this now 🤪). It seems like the RTProtectionDaemon analyzes EVERY macOS task which is currently running. F.e.I was updating my iCloud Photo Library which requires a few percent of CPU and the RTPD went immediately on top of it with around 60% of usage. Is it really necessary? I guess the iCloud Photo Library is a trusted process which doesn't need to be analyzed all the time. 

7 hours ago, iDjay said:

It seems like the RTProtectionDaemon analyzes EVERY macOS task which is currently running.

Not unless that's a brand new capability as it has never analyzed processes. "Malware protection" has only scanned newly added files in critical locations.

On 7/31/2020 at 5:28 PM, GuruGuy said:

System updated this morning (2 mac's actually) and I've seem some odd behavior on both within the last 10 hours.  Chrome fails to open quite a bit, just a bouncing chrome in the dock.  Force close a couple of times and eventually it opens.  Opened MB program a couple of times and it failed to open; had a oops something went wrong box and to restart as a possible fix...

Gonna untick the App Block setting and see if that does anything.

Anyone updated yet and seen any issues...

So three days with the App Block unticked on both Macs and none of the mentioned behavior has returned.  I’ll leave it off on both for now and keep an eye on the forums and see if anyone else posts any issues regarding this new version.

Thanks for the report. We haven't been able to reproduce this here, and I'm not aware of any reports of this coming in via support, but I'll be very interested to hear the results of your test. If the problem returns as soon as you turn App Block back on, that will be highly concerning! In that case, I'll want to gather some data from your machine for the developers to look at.

Oh, and I forgot to say, if the problem comes back, before you do anything else, can you try completely uninstalling (via the Uninstall option in the Help menu within the app), then reinstall from a fresh download:

https://malwarebytes.com/mac-download

Just now, treed said:

Oh, and I forgot to say, if the problem comes back, before you do anything else, can you try completely uninstalling (via the Uninstall option in the Help menu within the app), then reinstall from a fresh download:

https://malwarebytes.com/mac-download

I kinda did that without uninstalling and just did a new install over the top of the existing.  Same results so I’ve left the App Block off on both Macs for now.

On 8/1/2020 at 6:39 AM, iDjay said:

I turned both off now, to be honest there's no need to have both enabled all the time on macOS ( I know @treed is going to deny this now 🤪). It seems like the RTProtectionDaemon analyzes EVERY macOS task which is currently running. F.e.I was updating my iCloud Photo Library which requires a few percent of CPU and the RTPD went immediately on top of it with around 60% of usage. Is it really necessary? I guess the iCloud Photo Library is a trusted process which doesn't need to be analyzed all the time. 

Keeping RTP turned on is a good idea, but I will admit that it's more critical for some folks than others. However, there have been cases where malware has spread through means that would infect even a seasoned, security-savvy Mac user. There have been cases over the years that would have infected me, had I been doing a particular thing at the right time.

One of the reasons that RTP can consume a lot of CPU is if some process is touching a large number of files that need to be scanned by Malwarebytes for Mac. We do try to fine-tune the rules to eliminate this possibility as much as possible, but sometimes it's just not possible without adversely impacting detections. In such cases, it would be the "Malware protection" feature that is the issue, and not "App Block". (App Block shouldn't cause any significant CPU usage, especially with Malwarebytes for Mac 4.5 and macOS Catalina and later.)

7 minutes ago, GuruGuy said:

I kinda did that without uninstalling and just did a new install over the top of the existing.  Same results so I’ve left the App Block off on both Macs for now.

Can you try a full uninstall and then reinstall and see if that changes anything?

10 minutes ago, treed said:

Can you try a full uninstall and then reinstall and see if that changes anything?

One Mac done and the other will be done in a few minutes.  I'll keep an eye on both and report back.

19 hours ago, treed said:

Treed; Okay, some observations so far after almost a day with the complete uninstall and reinstall, both RTP options on:

#1 No bouncing ball effect in the dock and apps failing to open...so far.

#2 Opening MB program doesn't result in Oops error window...so far.

#3 Still seeing the Last Protection Update Check with hours inconsistent with checking hourly.  It will go hours before changing to a new time.  It actually looks like it may be showing the Last Protection Update.......not the actual time it checked (which should be increments of an hour each time I look) as the description says.  The other possibility is it's not checking at all while the Mac is sleeping and doesn't do an immediate check after waking up.

#4 Daily 2am Scan did NOT run.  Nothing in the logs and says "never" in one screen.  Laptops are unplugged from power and in the past when you would open them in the morning, well after 2am, they would do the daily scan (the missed scan).  Would take about 20-30 seconds.  If they were plugged in to power overnight, they scanned on time at 2am.  This morning I opened both laptops (not running on power) and no scan ran (the missed 2am scan).  I will leave one powered up tonight and see if it runs on schedule as it used to do.  Concerning that it doesn't run the missed scan any longer when running on battery.

22 hours ago, GuruGuy said:

Treed; Okay, some observations so far after almost a day with the complete uninstall and reinstall, both RTP options on:

#1 No bouncing ball effect in the dock and apps failing to open...so far.

#2 Opening MB program doesn't result in Oops error window...so far.

#3 Still seeing the Last Protection Update Check with hours inconsistent with checking hourly.  It will go hours before changing to a new time.  It actually looks like it may be showing the Last Protection Update.......not the actual time it checked (which should be increments of an hour each time I look) as the description says.  The other possibility is it's not checking at all while the Mac is sleeping and doesn't do an immediate check after waking up.

#4 Daily 2am Scan did NOT run.  Nothing in the logs and says "never" in one screen.  Laptops are unplugged from power and in the past when you would open them in the morning, well after 2am, they would do the daily scan (the missed scan).  Would take about 20-30 seconds.  If they were plugged in to power overnight, they scanned on time at 2am.  This morning I opened both laptops (not running on power) and no scan ran (the missed 2am scan).  I will leave one powered up tonight and see if it runs on schedule as it used to do.  Concerning that it doesn't run the missed scan any longer when running on battery.

@treed

Update to this day later...continued from post 16

#1 still ok

#2 still ok

#3 Last Check was showing Aug 8th 2:29 pm till the last time I checked last night around 11pm.  Upon opening plugged in and asleep Mac this morning at 5:30 am, it had a Check time of 2:09 am.  

#4 This time I left the Mac plugged into power lid closed and asleep overnight.  Opened lid at 5:30 am this morning and daily 2 am scan was showing as ran.

So something has changed in the versions - 1. definitely with scans not running while asleep and unpowered.  Prior version software Mac could be asleep and scan would run when make woke up (missed scan).  Now that isn't happening.  2. Update check has either the wrong description and it's showing WHEN it last updated or it's not checking hourly as set.

Reproduced on two Macs.  These types of issues leave doubt in my mind if the program even functions properly when needed...

2 hours ago, GuruGuy said:

@treed

Update to this day later...continued from post 16

#1 still ok

#2 still ok

#3 Last Check was showing Aug 8th 2:29 pm till the last time I checked last night around 11pm.  Upon opening plugged in and asleep Mac this morning at 5:30 am, it had a Check time of 2:09 am.  

#4 This time I left the Mac plugged into power lid closed and asleep overnight.  Opened lid at 5:30 am this morning and daily 2 am scan was showing as ran.

So something has changed in the versions - 1. definitely with scans not running while asleep and unpowered.  Prior version software Mac could be asleep and scan would run when make woke up (missed scan).  Now that isn't happening.  2. Update check has either the wrong description and it's showing WHEN it last updated or it's not checking hourly as set.

Reproduced on two Macs.  These types of issues leave doubt in my mind if the program even functions properly when needed...

@treed

So two hours after last update, #2 has reared its ugly head again.  Clicked the MB icon at top of one of the Macs, clicked Open Malwarebytes, and the new "M" icon appeared in the dock...bouncing up and down, 20 seconds later the Oops window opened saying something went wrong with the program.  So that's back again and I've once again turned off the App Block to see if that particular issue stops.

Thanks

8/10 update...

After turning off App Block 8/9 I used both MacBooks normally all day and overnight.  Update check still showing sporadically on both, definitely description is wrong or its not checking.  Opened the lid on both this morning and last time showing was yesterday time stamps.  However, the scan DID run (missed 2 am scan).  On Both.

The only thing that changed was App Block being turned off.  So at least the scans are behaving as they did in the past, but part of RTP is off for that to happen.

I'll keep observing...

8/11...

Both Macs running on battery asleep, opened lids at 5:30 am.  Daily 2am scan ran (missed scan).  Again this is the way the program used to work so that seems ok.  App Block is off though and missed scan wasn't running with that on.  No bouncing dock icons and when opening the main MB program, no Oops error.

Time stamp on the update CHECK says Aug 10th 7:34 pm.  It's set to check hourly.  I've been paying a close eye on this and noticed yesterday that the time stamp would tend to change at four hour increments.  It still leads me to think it's showing the actual last update and not the last update check.

1 hour ago, GuruGuy said:

8/11...

Both Macs running on battery asleep, opened lids at 5:30 am.  Daily 2am scan ran (missed scan).  Again this is the way the program used to work so that seems ok.  App Block is off though and missed scan wasn't running with that on.  No bouncing dock icons and when opening the main MB program, no Oops error.

Time stamp on the update CHECK says Aug 10th 7:34 pm.  It's set to check hourly.  I've been paying a close eye on this and noticed yesterday that the time stamp would tend to change at four hour increments.  It still leads me to think it's showing the actual last update and not the last update check.

I have both active RTP protections.
No problem.
It successfully run the lost scan whenever it is needed
The definition update indication is updated at every time change (I checked just now).
The problems ended with uninstalling / reinstalling Malwarebytes.

Only problem left

macOS gives some problems in case of awakening from stand-by (rarely). Ask @treed, @alvarnell, or anyone else using macOS if it happens to them too (problem never occurred before in macOS 10.15.6 and the installation of the beta of MWB 4.5.14)

My System is MacBook Pro Mid 2012 13" Non-Retina Display (a very old Mac)

macOS 10.15.6 - Malwarebytes 4.5.14

Since I don't have a portable Mac and their sleep behavior is somewhat different, I have not attempted to replicate this behavior.

@MAXBAR1

I've done the uninstall and reinstall and since been reporting here daily for @treed

I haven't seen the Mac waking issue that you speak of, just those things I've noted.  Just peeked at my last update check and it still says Aug 10th 7:34 pm

You really should not expect scans or other activities to happen while your Mac is asleep. In practice, it seems that some machines running current systems will wake up for certain events, under certain circumstances, but will not do so under other circumstances. I don't know what all those circumstances are, but I have observed that my work laptop - which is usually kept plugged in, and open - will frequently wake itself up briefly to show certain types of notifications and the like. On the other hand, my personal laptop, which is not always kept connected to power and spends most of its sleep time closed, does not do wake up for the same events.

Exactly what a process is able to do during sleep is entirely controlled by macOS. More information can be found here, although I don't feel that it entirely explains the full range of possible cases that I have observed:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204032

If you are seeing issues not related to assumptions of what should happen during sleep, let's focus on those. I'm a bit unclear at this point whether that's the case.

Regarding the issue with the Malwarebytes app showing the "Oops" message, can you confirm whether that remains an issue at this point?

1 minute ago, treed said:

You really should not expect scans or other activities to happen while your Mac is asleep. In practice, it seems that some machines running current systems will wake up for certain events, under certain circumstances, but will not do so under other circumstances. I don't know what all those circumstances are, but I have observed that my work laptop - which is usually kept plugged in, and open - will frequently wake itself up briefly to show certain types of notifications and the like. On the other hand, my personal laptop, which is not always kept connected to power and spends most of its sleep time closed, does not do wake up for the same events.

Exactly what a process is able to do during sleep is entirely controlled by macOS. More information can be found here, although I don't feel that it entirely explains the full range of possible cases that I have observed:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204032

If you are seeing issues not related to assumptions of what should happen during sleep, let's focus on those. I'm a bit unclear at this point whether that's the case.

Regarding the issue with the Malwarebytes app showing the "Oops" message, can you confirm whether that remains an issue at this point?

Since turning the App Block off two days ago, the oops issue has not happened again.

the update check issue is not entirely because of the sleeping Macs.  Both are open and in use and have yesterday’s time stamp.  Regarding the scanning, understand that it shouldn’t scan while sleeping, however it should after waking up if it missed the scan.  At least that’s the way it used to be and is doing now, albeit I turned off app block to make that happen.