pondus

Microsoft now detects CCleaner as a Potentially Unwanted Application

The problem with browser cookies is that removing them after the fact does little good with regards to protecting your privacy.  This is why I've always had a problem with anti-spyware and anti-malware scanners that detect cookies, because it is pointless and they are doing their users a disservice by creating a false sense of security.  If you don't want sites to be able to use cookies to track your online activities, you must block the cookies to begin with so that they are never created in the first place.  The trouble is, this will break any website where you sign in or customize any preferences/settings so blocking cookies selectively based on their purpose and source is generally the best method, similar to blocking trackers and ad servers.  For years, both Spybot Search & Destroy and Spywareblaster blocked cookies using the registry for IE and any browser or application that honors the IE cookie handling settings stored in the registry (for example, Windows Media Player, which pulls its cookie handling policy directly from IE's settings; though I don't know if this applies to Windows 10 and MS Edge).

All current browsers have options for changing how cookies are handled, so if cookies are a concern I recommend using your browser's options to block them, otherwise using a privacy oriented browser add-on may be the best solution (i.e. the likes of Ghostery, Disconnect, Privacy Badger, and of course, Malwarebytes Browser Guard).

You can delete cookies after the fact if you wish, however if they are getting recreated every time you visit websites, and you just delete them when you're done browsing, they are being used to track you during each browser session.  Think of it like allowing a backdoor or Trojan to install on your system regularly, but being OK with it because you remove it every time you reboot your system.  You'll get relief from the malware temporarily, but each time that Trojan/backdoor installs and comes online, it's exfiltrating your data so you really aren't doing anything to protect yourself.

Posted (edited)

I have been over this many times on many websites. Out right blocking does create problems for many sites and for the "average" users can create a less than optimal browsing experience. If you're that concerned about privacy that you want or need to block a cookie ahead of time then you really need to look at using something a lot more secure like booting from randomized Linux Live CDs., or Qubes OS, or at minimum the Tor Browser. Blocking cookies outright is such a very small portion of your privacy. Coming back a second or third time with that same cookie is when and where you're going to really get your system more analyzed in some cases.

Cookies can and do get corrupted over time. Removing them from time to time does help and I proved it to a large company CEO once as he was adamant that I could not remove his cookies. After spending an entire day doing all types of fixes, cleaning, etc the website still refused to work as he expected it. Finally out of desperation he allowed me to delete his cookie. BAM!! Logged back into the site and was working 100% like it was supposed to.

Speaking for myself I just don't like the delete options offered by the browsers and finally settled on the Cookie AutoDelete plugin that for me works well.        

As for Storage Sense - I have looked at it a few times and for me it does not have enough granular control for my liking. Perhaps in a future build it will. But, I am rarely in favor of any application doing fully automated deletions though I can see for some areas it would be okay. But even having been bitten by having the temp files deleted in some rare cases can also cause potential issues. Luckily it is very rare though. It's like Outlook has Sweep now that wants to delete mail based on patterns. I'm just not up for automation deciding what to delete. Yes, maybe 9 times out of 10 I do delete certain emails but every once in a while they have something I want to read or some offering I'm actually looking for. The automation does not know what is in my mind and based on my patterns of deletion would delete it. But I can see where some people that have thousands of unread emails that they will never read them that perhaps it would be better than nothing.

I also agree that for the most part deleting temp files makes little to no change for most user's systems aside from being obsessive compulsive about cleaning. There are many times though that malware does run from there and here on the forums by cleaning the temp it can remove unwanted junk too from time to time.

Edited by AdvancedSetup
updated information

Agreed that many are too OCD about cleaning. (OCC?) These are usually the same ones who always strive for contiguous 'all blue' blocks at the start of a disc when defragging.

But as long as they exist then someone will sell them a cleaning tool, good or bad.

I also am not too keen on automatic cleaning, remember the row when Storage Sense was 'updated' and deleted the contents of everybodys Downloads folder automatically?
The Downloads folder was also set as default in Disc Cleanup in that same update, which caused the same row for those using Disc Cleanup.

Some things, including some 'Protection Apps', are getting carried away with "Granny knows best" and not easily letting the user decide what they want to do.

I have been using Cookie Auto delete and Ghostery too for a good while now and they work fairly well together.

Just to note that CCleaner v5.70 was released a couple of hours ago.

Includes an update for the new Firefox sync storage locations which has been an issue for NoScript users, and a fix for a device handle leak which was hogging the CPU in certain circumstances.

I'm not at home so haven't had chance to dowload it yet and give it a test out.

Posted (edited)

I believe this is the one you're speaking of @nukecad

CCleaner is wiping Firefox Extensions Settings, how to fix
https://techdows.com/2020/08/fix-ccleaner-wiping-firefox-extensions-settings.html

From the article:

If you sign to Firefox Account and sync extensions and other data to various devices, starting Firefox 79 “items that extensions store in this (Storage.sync) area are automatically synced to all devices signed in to the same Firefox Account”.

If you're signing into Firefox to use Sync then why even use Firefox? You're obviously more concerned with ease of use than security. Stop using Sync

Edited by AdvancedSetup
updated information

I've never seen a browser or plugin capable of handling cookies as well as IE.  Its settings and notifications for cookie handling basically make it into a sort of 'cookie firewall', where you are able to allow once, block once, allow always (whitelist), or block always (blacklist) each individual cookie from each individual site/server/tracker etc.  It makes keeping the essential cookies and blocking all the others a piece of cake, and I've never seen its match in all the apps, browsers and plugins I've tried or seen.  It's too bad IE is no longer a viable option as a browser.

Posted (edited)
On 8/6/2020 at 8:25 PM, AdvancedSetup said:

I believe this is the one you're speaking of @nukecad

CCleaner is wiping Firefox Extensions Settings, how to fix
https://techdows.com/2020/08/fix-ccleaner-wiping-firefox-extensions-settings.html

That one gave me a laugh, and still does.

It has been copied from a thread on the CCleaner forum and obviously they didn't understand what they were reading.

The 'fix' in the screenshot there will not work in that form.
(The CCleaner Exclude UI will not process that 'Exclude1=Path' -it won't process that syntax, it won't/can't process %AppData% it needs the path to be specified, and when saved that string will be truncated at the first pipe following the pathname).

I actually left a comment telling them so and how to use it properly.
They took it down with a correction of how to use that string correctly by pasting it into the 'ccleaner.ini' file - and then for some reason an hour or so later they put the incorrect screenshot back up again.

PS. The latest Update to that techdows article is dated August 8, which isn't here yet.

The CCleaner v5.70 update has caught up with Firefoxes' changes and fixed that particular issue.

Edited by nukecad
Edited at techdows request. (They wanted it removed altogether).

Thanks. I'm not up on the CCleaner issues, changes as discussed I no longer use or recommend the program. But good for those that do

Even though I'm a moderator there I don't recommend it to others anymore either, but it's their choice and if they want it then I'll help them use it properly for their setup and show/tell them what not to do.

Posted (edited)

Techdows has corrected the previous update to show August 6.

As already said the CCleaner v5.70 update has caught up with Firefoxes' changes and fixed that particular issue anyway.
Techdows have noted that CCleaner update, and have now removed the screenshot of the incorect fix.

However CCleaner themselves boobed slightly and in rushing out the fix managed to include one screen (Privacy), with unlinked/unworking features, that isn't due for release for a couple of months.
(It's supposed to be being removed and put back to how it should be, but if you get the early 5.70.7909 installer you can have a sneak preview).

Edited by nukecad
Edited at techdows request.