The file updates for Windows Defender are normal even if you don't use it as your main antivirus tool. Microsoft wants to always keep it up to date just in case.

I already had the script remove the Brave entries

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The logs show your driver or control center is from 2019 - It may be the latest, but please go ahead and double check and see if there are any newer drivers for your network card

Killer Control Center -> C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\RivetNetworks.KillerControlCenter_2.0.2369.0_x64__rh07ty8m5nkag [2019-05-31] (Rivet Networks LLC) [Startup Task]

https://support.killernetworking.com/software/

The Event Log is indicating an issue with VSS

Error: (07/30/2020 04:18:21 PM) (Source: VSS) (EventID: 8193) (User: )
Description: Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Unexpected error calling routine QueryFullProcessImageNameW.  hr = 0x80070006, The handle is invalid.

Operation:
   Executing Asynchronous Operation

Context:
   Current State: DoSnapshotSet

Error: (07/30/2020 04:18:07 PM) (Source: VSS) (EventID: 8194) (User: )
Description: Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Unexpected error querying for the IVssWriterCallback interface.  hr = 0x80070005, Access is denied.
This is often caused by incorrect security settings in either the writer or requestor process.

Operation:
   Gathering Writer Data

Context:
   Writer Class Id: {e8132975-6f93-4464-a53e-1050253ae220}
   Writer Name: System Writer
   Writer Instance ID: {6d17b64e-b991-4c50-9f6b-8c7382c39ca0}

Please download and run the following  Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS), Diagnostic Tool, from Acronis and see if it can detect and repair any issues.

Acronis VSS Doctor

Free tool for diagnosing and repairing Volume Shadow Copy Service issues. Download link on the bottom of the page.
Download - Acronis VSS Doctor

In many cases, it can correct the issues on its own. If not, then it will give details on what may be causing the issues. Please save the report in text format and post back that log on your next reply.

You can also try the tool from Macrium Reflect if the Acronis tool did not work.

Macrium Reflect Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS) Repair Tool

Once you've run the repair tool you need to restart your computer.
Then check your Event Logs to see if the error was corrected. You can post new logs from FRST which will also show the Event Log entries 

If you don't have System Restore enabled then please take this time to enable it. If possible choose 10% of your C drive to store Restore Points.

System Restore disabled or greyed out? Turn On System Restore in Windows 10

Thank you

Please double-check and make sure Controlled Folder Access in Windows Defender is not blocking valid programs or paths.

https://www.howtogeek.com/329532/how-to-protect-your-files-from-ransomware-with-windows-defenders-controlled-folder-access/

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-enable-controlled-folder-access-windows-10-fall-creators-update

You also appear to be running Acronis Ransomware protection. It is very possible that it may conflict with Norton or Malwarebytes. Since you already run good Security software I'd suggest probably turning that feature off in Acronis or really checking to verify there is no conflict whatsoever.

HKLM-x32\...\Run: [Acronis Ransomware Protection] => C:\Program Files (x86)\Acronis\Ransomware Protection\ARPTray.exe [670736 2018-12-14] (Acronis International GmbH -> Acronis International GmbH)

41 minutes ago, AdvancedSetup said:

The logs show your driver or control center is from 2019 - It may be the latest, but please go ahead and double check and see if there are any newer drivers for your network card

Killer Control Center -> C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\RivetNetworks.KillerControlCenter_2.0.2369.0_x64__rh07ty8m5nkag [2019-05-31] (Rivet Networks LLC) [Startup Task]

https://support.killernetworking.com/software/

I downloaded and installed the latest driver available from Dell Support.  It is Version: 2.2.1453 Last Updated Date: 09 Jul 2020.   It said the install was successful.

After installing this I get an error when I boot up saying "Issue detected, please go to KillerNetworking.com to download latest driver/software".  

I did this.  They had version 2.2.1471 available.  This also got an error... "Killer Performance Suite UWD cannont be installed with Killer Ethernet Performance Suite" and the install failed.

So at this point I am getting the error at boot up and I have no control center software that will run.  

I don't know what version driver is actually installed as Device Manager says it is version 9.0.0.50 dated 1/14/2020.

At this point I'm not sure how to fix this.  I can't roll back to a previous version of the driver as that option is grayed out.

Thanks, Bill

50 minutes ago, AdvancedSetup said:

Please download and run the following  Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS), Diagnostic Tool, from Acronis and see if it can detect and repair any issues.

Acronis VSS Doctor

Free tool for diagnosing and repairing Volume Shadow Copy Service issues. Download link on the bottom of the page.
Download - Acronis VSS Doctor

In many cases, it can correct the issues on its own. If not, then it will give details on what may be causing the issues. Please save the report in text format and post back that log on your next reply.

You can also try the tool from Macrium Reflect if the Acronis tool did not work.

Macrium Reflect Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS) Repair Tool

Once you've run the repair tool you need to restart your computer.
Then check your Event Logs to see if the error was corrected. You can post new logs from FRST which will also show the Event Log entries 

If you don't have System Restore enabled then please take this time to enable it. If possible choose 10% of your C drive to store Restore Points.

System Restore disabled or greyed out? Turn On System Restore in Windows 10

Thank you

I ran Acronis and it didn't seem to fix things although I am not sure how to interpret the results.  I have attached the report.

I downloaded and ran Macrium as well.  Then I rebooted.  I am not sure how to check the Event Logs so have attached the FRST logs.

System restore is enabled and set to 10%.

Thanks
Bill

AcronisVSSDoctorReport_2020-07-30-18-32-02.txt FRST.txt Addition.txt

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, AdvancedSetup said:

Please double-check and make sure Controlled Folder Access in Windows Defender is not blocking valid programs or paths.

https://www.howtogeek.com/329532/how-to-protect-your-files-from-ransomware-with-windows-defenders-controlled-folder-access/

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-enable-controlled-folder-access-windows-10-fall-creators-update

You also appear to be running Acronis Ransomware protection. It is very possible that it may conflict with Norton or Malwarebytes. Since you already run good Security software I'd suggest probably turning that feature off in Acronis or really checking to verify there is no conflict whatsoever.

HKLM-x32\...\Run: [Acronis Ransomware Protection] => C:\Program Files (x86)\Acronis\Ransomware Protection\ARPTray.exe [670736 2018-12-14] (Acronis International GmbH -> Acronis International GmbH)

I am not running Windows Defender and have never used this feature of WD to my knowledge.  I looked via the group policy editor as described in the link and Control Folder Access is listed as "Not Configured".  

I remember now that I tried Windows Defender from 10/7 till 11/3 last year while trying to decide if I'd renew Norton.  I didn't like it as well as Norton so I reinstalled Norton and disabled WD.  I notice now that the date on the Kindle block by Controlled Folder Access was on 10/11/2019 so that would have been during that brief time I had WD enabled.  Sorry I didn't remember this earlier... another senior moment.

I have been running MB and Acronis side by side for several years without any problem.  I have removed it for now, but will probably re-install it if we ever get MB working again.

Thanks,
Bill

Edited by BillH99999
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, AdvancedSetup said:

Post back the FIXLOG.txt file once completed.

Here are the logs.

At what point should I reinstall MB?  What version... 4.1.0.167-1.0.931 which would open for me before (but not update) or 4.1.2.175-1.0.990 (which would not open for me).

I feel very naked without the MB protection.

Thanks,
Bill

Fixlog.txt

Edited by BillH99999

No, no. Please do not uninstall Acronis.

There is an option in Acronis to turn off their Ransomware protection is all. If you removed Acronis please go ahead and reinstall it.

In Control Panel, Programs, Uninstall

There should be just an entry for the following

Acronis Ransomware Protection

That is the only one we want to remove. Not the full Acronis backup progam

7 minutes ago, AdvancedSetup said:

No, no. Please do not uninstall Acronis.

There is an option in Acronis to turn off their Ransomware protection is all. If you removed Acronis please go ahead and reinstall it.

In Control Panel, Programs, Uninstall

There should be just an entry for the following

Acronis Ransomware Protection

That is the only one we want to remove. Not the full Acronis backup progam

Sorry, I wasn't clear.  I don't have the full program.  All I have is the Ransomware Protection.  That is what I uninstalled.

Bill

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, AdvancedSetup said:

Please see the following link and let me know if that corrects the Killer error

https://support.killernetworking.com/knowledge-base/cannot-be-installed-with-errors/

The VSS driver says all is working well for the Volume Shadow Copy service - so that's good.

I ran the uninstaller and then the installer.  The driver installed fine.  The control center would not install from the MS store using Chrome, but I was able to get it using Firefox.  So all seems to be good now with the latest driver from Killer, 2.2.1471 UWD.

I'm glad VSS is OK now as well.

Thanks,
Bill

Edited by BillH99999
Posted (edited)

@AdvancedSetup

While working on something else today I came across another program experiencing intermittent COM errors related to not being able to connect to a server or no internet connection available.  This is weird because I am streaming TV and surfing the web without problems at the same time.

So I thought maybe the problem is in my connection... maybe really short interruptions in connectivity or something.  I am normally connected to my network using Ethernet.  I disconnected the cable and connected via WiFi and the errors in my other program stopped.  So I loaded Malwarebytes 4.1.0  1.0.931 and opened the UI.  I did a scan and got no errors.  I did a check for updates and got no errors.  So I updated to 4.1.2  1.0.990.  It installed fine and now will open fine and when I attempt a check for updates there is no error.

So I guess maybe the problem is in my Ethernet connection some how.  Weird that it just started the other day when nothing had been updated on the computer related to Ethernet.  I guess the problem could be in the Ethernet adapter, in the cable, or in the router/gateway or something.  Not sure how to debug that.  Any ideas on where to start?

It is also weird that the problem only seems to impact Malwarebytes and one other program as far as I can determine.

I'd really rather use Ethernet as I get about 450-550 Mbps using Ethernet but only about 40-80 using WiFi.

Thanks,
Bill

Edited by BillH99999

Please try the following in the EXACT order.

Shut down your computer and unplug the power cord.
Shut down your Router and unplug the power cord.

Plug the Ethernet cable back in to the computer and Router

Wait 2 minutes. Then plug the Router back in and power it up.
Wait 2 to 3 minutes as it powers up.

Now plug the power back into the computer and power it back up

Wait until the desktop loads and all other loading apps

Now, visit the following site and reset your Router

How To Reset Your Router
https://setuprouter.com/networking/how-to-reset-your-router/

Restart the computer one more time.

Then see if Malwarebytes has any trouble updating or not and let me know.

Posted (edited)

I followed the instructions.  The problem still occurs intermittently.  Some times it works, sometimes I get the error.

The COM problem occurs every time on the other software I mentioned earlier.

All problem still go away when I switch to WiFi.

Bill

Edited by BillH99999

Can you send me a log or screenshot of what you're seeing. You can send via Private Message if you like.

We can look and see what the COM error is and then see if we can fix it or not. Pretty odd for there to be a difference by network alone

Posted (edited)

@AdvancedSetup

The errors I'm seeing in Malwarebytes are the same as in my initital posting in this thread.

The other software is Family Historian which is a genealgy software.  The errors I am seeing there are attached.

It is the same network.  The problem occurs when I connect using Ethernet.  No errors occur when I connect using WiFi.

I would be happy to supply any logs you would like in Windows if that would help.  I just don't know how to access them.

Thanks,
Bill

image1.jpg

image2.jpg

Edited by BillH99999

The latest version of Family Historian is about 2 years old.  It allows the use of plugins written in an old version of LUA.  I don't know how old it is.  I've been running Family Historian with these plugins for years without any problem.

Does the age of LUA matter in relation to the problems I'm experiencing.?  I am also getting errors in Malwarebytes which is not old at all.  Also, the errors just started in the last week or two in both Family Historian and Malwarebytes.  The same programs ran without problems before that. 

Also I don't get the errors while connected via WiFI instead of Ethernet running the same programs.

Doesn't this seem to indicate a problem with my Ethernet rather than with the programs?  I've been connect most of the day via WiFi and everything has run fine without any problems.

As for what else I'm running.  This hasn't changed either and is the same whether connected via WiFi or Ethernet.  I usually have Family Historian, Thunderbird, Google Chrome, Firefox, Google Drive, Dropbox, Malwarebytes, Norton 360, SuMO, Greenshot, SyncBack SE, Roboform,  Killer Control Center, Logitech Mouse/Keyboard Controller (can't think of the name right now), and Canon U Network Scanner Selector running.  I might also occassionaly have another program running like Excel or Word or IrfanView.

All of these would have been running when I wasn't having the problem also.

Thanks,
Bill