Just got this error tonight while trying to open MB premium.

image.png.a132c76ac5779cb70f60c5ae341ef9b6.png

It was working fine yesterday and I have not installed anything new or changed any settings.  I know my internet is working fine as I am streaming a baseball game at the same time and it is working.  I am also able to surf the web.

I tried running check for updates and got this error.

image.png.60b5abed73d0665882e89e15e0a5f7ba.png

I am running the following.

image.png.b382478b64866d8fe4102be6a2db9626.png

Any ideas what might cause this?

Thanks,

Bill

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

***This is an automated reply***

Hi,

Thanks for posting in the Malwarebytes for Windows Help forum.

If you are having technical issues with our Windows product, please do the following:

Malwarebytes Support Tool - Advanced Options

This feature is designed for the following reasons:

• For use when you are on the forums and need to provide logs for assistance
  • For use when you don't need or want to create a ticket with Malwarebytes
  • For use when you want to perform local troubleshooting on your own

How to use the Advanced Options:

Spoiler
  1. Download Malwarebytes Support Tool
  2. Double-click mb-support-X.X.X.XXXX.exe to run the program
    • You may be prompted by User Account Control (UAC) to allow changes to be made to your computer. Click Yes to consent.
  3. Place a checkmark next to Accept License Agreement and click Next
  4. Navigate to the Advanced tab
  5. The Advanced menu page contains four categories:
    • Gather Logs: Collects troubleshooting information from the computer. As part of this process, Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST) is run to perform a complete diagnosis. The information is saved to a file on the Desktop named mbst-grab-results.zip and can be added as an email attachment or uploaded to a forum post to assist with troubleshooting the issue at hand.
    • Clean: Performs an automated uninstallation of all Malwarebytes products installed to the computer and prompts to install the latest version of Malwarebytes for Windows afterwards. The Premium license key is backed up and reinstated. All user configurations and other data are removed. This process requires a reboot.
    •  Repair System: Includes various system-related repairs in case a Windows service is not functioning correctly that Malwarebytes for Windows is dependent on. It is not recommended to use any Repair System options unless instructed by a Malwarebytes Support agent.
    • Anonymously help the community by providing usage and threat statistics: Unchecking this option will prevent Malwarebytes Support Tool from sending anonymous telemetry data on usage of the program.
  6. To provide logs for review click the Gather Logs button
  7. Upon completion, click OK
  8. A file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your Desktop
  9. Please attach the file in your next reply.
  10. To uninstall all Malwarebytes Products, click the Clean button.
  11. Click the Yes button to proceed. 
  12. Save all your work and click OK when you are ready to reboot.
  13. After the reboot, you will have the option to re-install the latest version of Malwarebytes for Windows.
  14. Select Yes to install Malwarebytes.
  15. Malwarebytes for Windows will open once the installation completes successfully.

Screenshots:

Spoiler

Spoiler

01.png

02.png

03.png

04.png

05.png

06.png

If you are having licensing issues, please do the following: 

Spoiler

For any of these issues:

• Renewals
  • Refunds (including double billing)
  • Cancellations
  • Update Billing Info
  • Multiple Transactions
  • Consumer Purchases
  • Transaction Receipt

Please contact our support team at https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/requests/new to get help

If you need help looking up your license details, please head here: Find my premium license key

Thanks in advance for your patience.

-The Malwarebytes Forum Team

Hello @BillH99999:

That does appear a bit strange but it's best if the forum has the computer's logs to begin a thorough diagnosis:

1. Download Malwarebytes Support Tool.
  2. Double-click mb-support-1.7.0.827.exe to run the program.
    • You may be prompted by User Account Control (UAC) to allow changes to be made to your computer. Click Yes to consent.
  3. Place a check mark next to Accept License Agreement and click Next.
  4. Navigate to the Advanced tab.
  5. The Advanced menu page contains four categories:
    • Gather Logs: Collects troubleshooting information from the computer. As part of this process, Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST) is run to perform a complete diagnosis. The information is saved to a file on the Desktop named mbst-grab-results.zip and can be added as an email attachment or uploaded to a forum post to assist with troubleshooting the issue at hand.
    • Clean: Performs an automated uninstall of all Malwarebytes products installed to the computer and prompts to install the latest version of Malwarebytes for Windows afterwards. The Premium license key is backed up and reinstated. All user configurations and other data are removed. This process requires a reboot.
    •  Repair System: Includes various system-related repairs in case a Windows service is not functioning correctly that Malwarebytes for Windows is dependent on. It is not recommended to use any Repair System options unless instructed by a Malwarebytes Support agent.
    • Anonymously help the community by providing usage and threat statistics: Unchecking this option will prevent Malwarebytes Support Tool from sending anonymous telemetry data on usage of the program.
  6. To provide logs for review click the Gather Logs button.
  7. Upon completion, click OK.
  8. A file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your Desktop.
  9. Please attach the file in your next reply.

Thank you.

Edited by 1PW
Posted (edited)

@AdvancedSetup

I rebooted and got the same results.  I downloaded the support tool and ran it and then opened MB and I didn't get the "unable to contact license server" error.  However, I do still get the error when trying to download an update.

@1PW

Here are the logs you requested.

mbst-grab-results.zip

Thanks,
Bill

Edited by BillH99999

I would be looking at Norton firewall blocking out of the blue.

Norton also blocked the FRST part of the support tool from running as well.

We can do it separately.

Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to your desktop.

Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system.
You can check here if you're not sure if your computer is 32-bit or 64-bit

• Double-click to run it. When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
  • Press the Scan button.
  • It will make a log (FRST.txt) in the same directory the tool is run. Please attach it to your reply.
  • The first time the tool is run, it also makes another log (Addition.txt). Please attach it to your reply as well.

Hello @BillH99999:

Thank you for the MBST grab archive file.

However, through no fault of yours, FRST64.exe failed to make the trip, generate its files and be included.   This too may be an additional data point for diagnosis. 

Please download the Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to your desktop.

Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system. You can check here if you're not sure if your computer is 32-bit or 64-bit

1. Double-click FRST64.exe to run it. When the tool opens, click Yes to disclaimer.
  2. Select the Scan button.
  3. It will make a log (FRST.txt) in the same directory the tool is run. Please attach it to your reply.
  4. The first time the tool is run, it also makes another log (Addition.txt). If you've, run the tool before you need to place a check mark here.
  5. Please attach the Additions.txt log to your reply as well.

Thank you.

Alternative FRST64.exe download: https://www.majorgeeks.com/mg/getmirror/farbar_recovery_scan_tool_64_bit,1.html

Edited by 1PW
I see now that @Porthos' post has preceeded mine.
Posted (edited)

@Porthos, @1PW

Very strange.  I tried disabling the Norton 360 firewall and real time protection and I still get the same errors. 

Had trouble with FRST.  Nothing seems to like FRST.  Chrome safe browsing blocked the download and both Windows Smart Screen and Norton 360 blocked it from running.  I was able to get by these blocks so here are the logs you requested.

Thanks
Bill

FRST.txt Addition.txt

Edited by BillH99999
2 minutes ago, BillH99999 said:

Had trouble with FRST.  Nothing seems to like FRST. 

So true, even MB will have a FP with it.

Now we have logs so an in-depth look can be done.

I would suggest uninstalling Bonjor. Restart the computer and see if you still get Malwarebytes issues.

Posted (edited)

@Porthos

Do you mean Bonjour?  Isn't that part of iTunes?  If I uninstall it won't that break iTunes?

Also, this setup has worked without problems for a long time.  Why would it stop working yesterday with no changes to the system other than updates to Edge, Teamviewer, and Thunderbird?

Bill

Edited by BillH99999
Just now, BillH99999 said:

If I uninstall it won't that break iTunes?

No it shouldn't.

What exactly is mDNSResponder.exe?

https://www.groovypost.com/howto/howto/what-is-mdnsresponder-exe-and-why-is-it-running/

MDNSResponder, also known as Bonjour, is Apple’s native zero-configuration networking process for Mac that was ported over to Windows and associated with MDNSNSP.DLL.  On a Mac or iOS device, this program is used for networking nearly everything.  On Windows, this process is only necessary for sharing libraries via iTunes and other Mac applications like the Apple TV that were ported to Windows.  Bonjour allows different computers running iTunes to communicate with each other regardless of network configuration, this is because it enables automatic network discovery.

What Is mDNSResponder.exe / Bonjour and How Can I Uninstall or Remove It?
https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/6456/what-is-mdnsresponder.exe-bonjour-and-how-can-i-uninstall-or-remove-it/

It's just used for streaming to other devices on the network; disabling it will not impact the normal use of iTunes for downloading and managing music and other multimedia files.

I uninstalled Bonjour and rebooted.  iTunes still works.🙂

I tried opening MB 3 or 4 times and I didn't get the 'unable to contact license server" error, but it may come back.  As you can see from my earlier posts I thought it was gone once before, but it came back.  Not sure why.

I am still getting the error when clicking on "check for updates".

Thanks
Bill

Hello @BillH99999

I have moved your topic to the malware removal forum where we can run some scripts and clean stuff more. Nothing too bad but a few items we should look at cleaning up.

System errors:
=============
Error: (07/30/2020 08:13:22 AM) (Source: Service Control Manager) (EventID: 7000) (User: )
Description: The Brave Update Service (brave) service failed to start due to the following error:
The system cannot find the file specified.

Windows Defender:
===================================
Date: 2019-10-11 22:19:38.980
Description:
C:\Users\wrhen\AppData\Local\Amazon\Kindle\application\Kindle.exe has been blocked from modifying D:\My Documents by Controlled Folder Access.
Detection time: 2019-10-12T05:19:38.979Z
Path: D:\My Documents
Process Name: C:\Users\wrhen\AppData\Local\Amazon\Kindle\application\Kindle.exe
Security intelligence Version: 1.303.1483.0
Engine Version: 1.1.16400.2
Product Version: 4.18.1909.6

As you can also see, it's not  Malwarebytes alone that is or was having issues connecting and finding their update server.

Date: 2019-07-23 16:44:37.335
Description:
Windows Defender Antivirus has encountered an error trying to update security intelligence.
New security intelligence Version:
Previous security intelligence Version: 1.285.74.0
Update Source: Microsoft Malware Protection Center
Security intelligence Type: AntiVirus
Update Type: Full
Current Engine Version:
Previous Engine Version: 1.1.15600.4
Error code: 0x80070645
Error description: This action is only valid for products that are currently installed.

Date: 2019-07-23 16:44:30.781
Description:
Windows Defender Antivirus has encountered an error trying to update security intelligence.
Update Source: Microsoft Update Server
Current Engine Version:
Error code: 0x80240017
Error description: An unexpected problem occurred while checking for updates. For information on installing or troubleshooting updates, see Help and Support.

You have 2 firewall blocks for Intel which would seem odd.
FirewallRules: [{08603F14-415E-4920-890F-29101D11A9F0}] => (Block) C:\Program Files\Intel\SUR\QUEENCREEK\x64\esrv_svc.exe (Intel(R) Software Development Products -> )
FirewallRules: [{81952D5D-8C50-4EA2-905A-0A9129EDA606}] => (Block) C:\Program Files\Intel\SUR\QUEENCREEK\x64\esrv_svc.exe (Intel(R) Software Development Products -> )

What is this software used for? It is 5 years old. Are you still actively using it? Looks like it may be for your Canon Printer?
HKLM-x32\...\Run: [IJNetworkScannerSelectorEX] => C:\Program Files (x86)\Canon\IJ Network Scanner Selector EX\CNMNSST.exe [235624 2015-01-09] (Canon Inc. -> CANON INC.)

It looks like you have Push Notifications enabled on Chrome

Are you sure you have not enabled or allowed Push Notifications on your browser?

https://blog.malwarebytes.com/security-world/technology/2019/01/browser-push-notifications-feature-asking-abused/

Turn notifications on or off - Google Chrome

Web Push notifications in Firefox

CHR Notifications: Default -> hxxps://app.gotowebinar.com; hxxps://calendar.google.com; hxxps://ticktick.com; hxxps://www.toodledo.com

You have a Host Intrusion Prevention driver from McAfee loading on the system but I don't see any McAfee products listed as being installed
Did you install this as part of some other special install or were you even aware it was still there running from an old installation of McAfee?

S3 HipShieldK; C:\WINDOWS\System32\drivers\HipShieldK.sys [226984 2018-05-02] (McAfee, Inc. -> McAfee, Inc.)

Please disable Norton 360 and Exit out of Malwarebytes and run the following repair script.

Please download the attached fixlist.txt file and save it to the Desktop or location where you ran FRST from.
NOTE. It's important that both files, FRST or FRST64, and fixlist.txt are in the same location or the fix will not work.

Please make sure you disable any real-time antivirus or security software before running this script. Once completed making sure you re-enable it.

NOTICE: This script was written specifically for this user, for use on this particular machine. Running this on another machine may cause damage to your operating system that cannot be undone.

Run FRST or FRST64 and press the Fix button just once and wait.
If the tool needs a restart please make sure you let the system restart normally and let the tool complete its run after restart.
The tool will make a log on the Desktop (Fixlog.txt) or wherever you ran FRST from. Please attach or post it to your next reply.

Note: If the tool warned you about an outdated version please download and run the updated version.

NOTE-1:  This fix will run a scan to check that all Microsoft operating system files are valid and not corrupt and attempt to correct any invalid files. It will also run a disk check on the restart to ensure disk integrity. Depending on the speed of your computer this fix may take 30 minutes or more.

NOTE-2: As part of this fix all temporary files will be removed. If you have any open web pages that have not been bookmarked please make sure you bookmark them now as all open applications will be automatically closed. Also, make sure you know the passwords for all websites as cookies will also be removed. The use of an external password manager is highly recommended instead of using your browser to store passwords.

The following directories are emptied:

• Windows Temp
  • Users Temp folders
  • Edge, IE, FF, Chrome and Opera caches, HTML5 storages, Cookies and History
  • Recently opened files cache
  • Flash Player cache
  • Java cache
  • Steam HTML cache
  • Explorer thumbnail and icon cache
  • BITS transfer queue (qmgr*.dat files)
  • Recycle Bin

Important: items are permanently deleted. They are not moved to quarantine. If you have any questions or concerns please ask before running this fix.

The system will be rebooted after the fix has run.

fixlist.txt

Thanks

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, AdvancedSetup said:

Hello @BillH99999

I have moved your topic to the malware removal forum where we can run some scripts and clean stuff more. Nothing too bad but a few items we should look at cleaning up.

System errors:
=============
Error: (07/30/2020 08:13:22 AM) (Source: Service Control Manager) (EventID: 7000) (User: )
Description: The Brave Update Service (brave) service failed to start due to the following error:
The system cannot find the file specified.

**** I don't know what this is.  I had installed the Brave browser some time ago, but uninstalled it.  Is this part of that?  I don't see any way to uninstall the Brave Update Service.  How do I do that?

Windows Defender:
===================================
Date: 2019-10-11 22:19:38.980
Description:
C:\Users\wrhen\AppData\Local\Amazon\Kindle\application\Kindle.exe has been blocked from modifying D:\My Documents by Controlled Folder Access.
Detection time: 2019-10-12T05:19:38.979Z
Path: D:\My Documents
Process Name: C:\Users\wrhen\AppData\Local\Amazon\Kindle\application\Kindle.exe
Security intelligence Version: 1.303.1483.0
Engine Version: 1.1.16400.2
Product Version: 4.18.1909.6

**** I don't use Windows Defender and have it turned off.  Why would it be blocking Kindle.exe?  What is Controlled Folder Access?

As you can also see, it's not  Malwarebytes alone that is or was having issues connecting and finding their update server.

Date: 2019-07-23 16:44:37.335
Description:
Update Source: Microsoft Malware Protection Center
Current Engine Version:
Error code: 0x80070645
Error description: This action is only valid for products that are currently installed.

**** Again, I don't use Windows Defender.  Why is it trying to update?  

Date: 2019-07-23 16:44:30.781
Description:
Update Source: Microsoft Update Server
Current Engine Version:
Error code: 0x80240017
Error description: An unexpected problem occurred while checking for updates. For information on installing or troubleshooting updates, see Help and Support.

**** Again, I don't use Windows Defender.  Why is it trying to update?  

You have 2 firewall blocks for Intel which would seem odd.
FirewallRules: [{08603F14-415E-4920-890F-29101D11A9F0}] => (Block) C:\Program Files\Intel\SUR\QUEENCREEK\x64\esrv_svc.exe (Intel(R) Software Development Products -> )
FirewallRules: [{81952D5D-8C50-4EA2-905A-0A9129EDA606}] => (Block) C:\Program Files\Intel\SUR\QUEENCREEK\x64\esrv_svc.exe (Intel(R) Software Development Products -> )

I have no idea what these are or how they are blocked by Windows Defender which I have off. 

What is this software used for? It is 5 years old. Are you still actively using it? Looks like it may be for your Canon Printer?
HKLM-x32\...\Run: [IJNetworkScannerSelectorEX] => C:\Program Files (x86)\Canon\IJ Network Scanner Selector EX\CNMNSST.exe [235624 2015-01-09] (Canon Inc. -> CANON INC.)

****  I don't normally use this but it is for the scanning portion of my Canon printer and unless causing a problem would probably leave it.  Is it causing any problem?

It looks like you have Push Notifications enabled on Chrome

Are you sure you have not enabled or allowed Push Notifications on your browser?

https://blog.malwarebytes.com/security-world/technology/2019/01/browser-push-notifications-feature-asking-abused/

Turn notifications on or off - Google Chrome

Web Push notifications in Firefox

CHR Notifications: Default -> hxxps://app.gotowebinar.com; hxxps://calendar.google.com; hxxps://ticktick.com; hxxps://www.toodledo.com

**** I guess I'm not sure if this is really a problem or not.  I have just left this setting on the default "Ask Before Sending" and have never been "asked".  Don't I want apps to be able to send me notifications?  

You have a Host Intrusion Prevention driver from McAfee loading on the system but I don't see any McAfee products listed as being installed
Did you install this as part of some other special install or were you even aware it was still there running from an old installation of McAfee?

S3 HipShieldK; C:\WINDOWS\System32\drivers\HipShieldK.sys [226984 2018-05-02] (McAfee, Inc. -> McAfee, Inc.)

**** I was not aware it was there.  The computer came with McAfee preloaded, but I uninstalled it.  I use Norton 360.  Can I uninstall it somehow?

Please disable Norton 360 and Exit out of Malwarebytes and run the following repair script.

snip

I will start doing the recommended fix right now and get back to you.

Thanks,
Bill

Edited by BillH99999

I'm sorry but the tool does not support that level exclusion. Running the clean command helps remove items that might possibly be causing browser issues that might cause access to some sites to fail

You might be able to use one of these methods if it's that important to you

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/export-historybookmarks-t/dcoegfodcnjofhjfbhegcgjgapeichlf?hl=en

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/chrome_history_view.html

Posted (edited)

Well... now I think I've messed up.  I thought before trying other things I would see if a clean install of MB might help.

I ran the support tool and did a clean install and told it to install the latest version.  Unfortunately this failed with an error.

image1.jpg.0c6b4e99b6d0e44151a8f62648a82a76.jpg

So I ran another clean and this time told it not to install the latest version.  I then installed 4.12.175-1.0.990 from the downloaded installer  This had a problem also.  The UI never loaded.  at the end of the install so I don't know what happened.   The Malwarebytes service and Malwarebytes Tray Application were both running.  So I tried clicking on the icon in the tray to open the UI, nothing happened.  It never opened.  I waited over 5 minutes because I know it can take a long time.

So I tried again.  I ran another clean and said not to install the latest version.  I installed 4.1.0.157-1.0.931.  This installed and the UI opened at the end of the install.  When I tried Check for Updates, I got the same error as in my original post.

So, what do you want me to do at this point?

Sorry.

By the way, I don't care that much about the browser history.  I can live without it.

Thanks,
Bill

Edited by BillH99999

From the logs

Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired them.

Now  try running the MBST tool again and do the Malwarebytes removal. If it will not run or will not remove please let me know.