Permissions changed and cant save anything to C drive

Hey guys,

New member here. i have run a malware bytes free scan, which identified alot of Trojans, spy ware etc. i have quarantined and deleted these files, but the issue still persists , chrome wont save any book marks, i cant say anything on my main drive C drive where my OS is running( i can save on external drives)

I am running OS win 7. and have attached the log file form the malware bytes scan where the malware was detected

and the most recent scan done today which found nothing. 

I have also run a adware scan as well and have attached the log as well  

thank you for any help :)

Log w marlware found.txt log w no malware found.txt AdwCleaner[C00].txt

• Root Admin

Hello @lunarprod and :welcome:

Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to your desktop.

Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system.
You can check here if you're not sure if your computer is 32-bit or 64-bit

• Double-click to run it. When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
  • Press the Scan button.
  • It will make a log (FRST.txt) in the same directory the tool is run. Please attach it to your reply.
  • The first time the tool is run, it also makes another log (Addition.txt). Please attach it to your reply as well.

Thank you

• Root Admin

Good.

I would recommend you uninstall the following software. Go to Control Panel, Programs, Uninstall

Bonjour
CCleaner

What exactly is mDNSResponder.exe?

https://www.groovypost.com/howto/howto/what-is-mdnsresponder-exe-and-why-is-it-running/

MDNSResponder, also known as Bonjour, is Apple’s native zero-configuration networking process for Mac that was ported over to Windows and associated with MDNSNSP.DLL.  On a Mac or iOS device, this program is used for networking nearly everything.  On Windows, this process is only necessary for sharing libraries via iTunes and other Mac applications like the Apple TV that were ported to Windows.  Bonjour allows different computers running iTunes to communicate with each other regardless of network configuration, this is because it enables automatic network discovery.

What Is mDNSResponder.exe / Bonjour and How Can I Uninstall or Remove It?
https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/6456/what-is-mdnsresponder.exe-bonjour-and-how-can-i-uninstall-or-remove-it/

Most Experts no longer recommend using CCleaner since it was sold out to Avast a while back. However, the choice is yours

Please download the attached fixlist.txt file and save it to the Desktop or location where you ran FRST from.
NOTE. It's important that both files, FRST or FRST64, and fixlist.txt are in the same location or the fix will not work.

Please make sure you disable any real time antivirus or security software before running this script. Once completed make sure you re-enable it.

NOTICE: This script was written specifically for this user, for use on this particular machine. Running this on another machine may cause damage to your operating system that cannot be undone.

Run FRST or FRST64 and press the Fix button just once and wait.
If the tool needs a restart please make sure you let the system restart normally and let the tool complete its run after restart.
The tool will make a log on the Desktop (Fixlog.txt) or wherever you ran FRST from. Please attach or post it to your next reply.

Note: If the tool warned you about an outdated version please download and run the updated version.

NOTE-1:  This fix will run a scan to check that all Microsoft operating system files are valid and not corrupt and attempt to correct any invalid files. It will also run a disk check on the restart to ensure disk integrity. Depending on the speed of your computer this fix may take 30 minutes or more.

NOTE-2: As part of this fix all temporary files will be removed. If you have any open web pages that have not been bookmarked please make sure you bookmark them now as all open applications will be automatically closed. Also, make sure you know the passwords for all websites as cookies will also be removed. The use of an external password manager is highly recommended instead of using your browser to store passwords.

The following directories are emptied:

• Windows Temp
  • Users Temp folders
  • Edge, IE, FF, Chrome and Opera caches, HTML5 storages, Cookies and History
  • Recently opened files cache
  • Flash Player cache
  • Java cache
  • Steam HTML cache
  • Explorer thumbnail and icon cache
  • BITS transfer queue (qmgr*.dat files)
  • Recycle Bin

Important: items are permanently deleted. They are not moved to quarantine. If you have any questions or concerns please ask before running this fix.

The system will be rebooted after the fix has run.

fixlist.txt

Thanks

thanks have run the fix and attached fix log to this reply

i ma still not able to save any book marks on chrome nor download anything to c drive. 

If i book mark something and close and re open browser , no book marks or passwords are saved. when i try re downloading chrome,to c drive, it still says" Failed Insufficient permissions"

cheers :) 

Fixlog.txt

• Root Admin

From the logs.

STEP 1

Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them.

Please follow the directions from the following article and clean up, reset, uninstall / reinstall if needed to clean up Google Chrome
https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/258938-resetting-google-chrome-to-clear-unexpected-issues/

STEP 2

Please download and run the following Kaspersky antivirus scanner to remove any found threats

Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool

Let me know if it finds anything or not

STEP 3

Once that is done, then visit the following Microsoft article and check for and allow it to find and repair possible Windows Update issues

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/10164/fix-windows-update-errors

Get and install all Windows updates

Let me know if you run into issues running updates.

tried the google chrome steps , but still having same problems, cant save any thing to C drive, nor save bookmarks or passwords.

Ran Kaspersky and it detected a few Trojans, which i have deleted

Computer seems faster now, but still cant save anything to C drive 

cheers :) 

kaspersky log.jpg

• Root Admin

When you say you can't save anything to the C drive. What exactly do you mean?

Can you open File Explorer or This PC or My  Computer and go to the C drive and create a folder?

What error do you get?

Is this only when trying to save files from Google Chrome?

What if you use another browser?

Hey,

ive attached two screen shots to help you understand what i mean,

I tired downloading Firefox for example, and would not save to my C drive where normal downloads for chrome are stored(have to select a external drive then down loads work)

and ironically, the screen shot I took of the issue, would not save to desktop. so naturaly I took a screen shot of this as well haha

I can save things if i select another drive like my externals, but this is only  a work around or band aid per say. 

thank you for your time in helping with these issues

screen shot of issue.jpg

screen shot of issue 2.jpg

• Root Admin
  • Root Admin

Yes, you're correct. Sorry about that. That is a Windows 10 feature with Windows Defender only and not available on Windows 7

We can attempt to do a full system permissions reset but it is not supported by Microsoft on this version of Windows.

Let's try using Process Monitor to see if you can see what or why the block is happening.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/procmon

Run that and see if you can examine what may be blocking.

If that's not helping then we can try the full reset of permissions. Which may help but will not put things back exactly the way they should be.

• Root Admin

Okay, this is a last resort type of fix. It is not designed or supported by Microsoft on Windows 7 but it should still work.

The best option would be to backup your data, format the drive and re-install Windows but since I assume you'd rather not then please give this a try

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-security/how-to-restore-default-security-permissions/ab58f918-da72-42c0-ba71-161d52b73d46

• 1 month later...
  • Root Admin

Due to the lack of feedback, this topic is closed to prevent others from posting here.

If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this topic with your request.

This applies only to the originator of this topic. Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread.

Tips to help protect from infection

Thanks