Windows 7 Pro Dell BSD How to scan

Had a problem with the computer last night, several SBD and I thought I had posted another reply to you. 
However...a black screen came up like adware was being run while windows sign in  was being processed.
TODAY this am   7/23/2020 

Will it keep running on its own?  Or should it be disabled and removed.  Went so fast that I could

not read anything except the first part  Adware...

Note:  is this a problem?  I put the adware file on my F: drive and clicked it to run from there.
I don't know if where it is makes a difference? 

Programs that I need to install, I often download from the internet, store on my usb drive and then scan with malwarebytes before I install..since they end up on  C anyway....Neat 😄 

If it doesn't need to keep running, how do I remove the Adware cleaner program?  Or should I leave it for awhile?

After one of the SBD last night  half of action center (windows update)  disappeared...the maintenace part .  checked after another SBD and it was back.  In safe mode W security essentials will not run.  Malwarebytes opens up with actions disabled, but if I wait, will get a pop up to enable...but the logo still shows a notice. 

Will do the Eset thing.  and advise when done. 

Thanks again for your patience. 

Carolyn

7 23  2:45  pm.

Hi Carolyn.

Sorry but I'm a bit lost as to your reference to "SBD"

As to your having saved something to the F drive   (   adwcleaner  ?  )  that is ok.   Adwcleaner is a on-demand program.  You may run it as needed.   But you had done that already.

You may simply just delete the file Adwcleaner.exe

I am hoping to learn that the scan with ESET Online scanner was completed, since that can be one measure as to whether or not  this machine has some on-board infection.

That aside,  I do have a concern that this Windows 7 installation seems to be ( or possibly be ) a bit off kilter.  I have a concern about the steadiness , the state of this Window 7.

What I would like very much, is to get a readout report  so that I can review.   After that,  I can do some additional guidance.

NOTE: The tools and the information obtained is safe and not harmful to your privacy or your computer, please allow the programs to run if blocked by your system.

Do have patience while the report tool runs.  It may take several minutes.  Just let it run & take its time.  You may want to close your other open windows so that there is a clear field of view.

Download Malwarebytes Support Tool

Once the file is downloaded, open your Downloads folder/location of the downloaded file
    Double-click mb-support-1.6.2.802.exe  to run the report

Once it starts, you will see a first screen with 2 buttons.  Click the one on the left marked "I don't have an open support ticket".

You may be prompted by User Account Control (UAC) to allow changes to be made to your computer. Click Yes to consent.

Place a check-mark next to Accept License Agreement and click Next

Now click the left-hand side pane "I do not have an open support ticket"

You will be presented with a page stating, "Get Started!"

Do NOT use the button “Start repair” !   But look instead at the far-left options list in black.

Click the Advanced tab on the left column

Click the Gather Logs button

A progress bar will appear and the program will proceed with getting logs from your computer.  Please do have patience.  It takes several minutes to gather.

Upon completion, click a file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your Desktop. Click OK.  Then Exit the tool.

Please attach the ZIP file in your next reply.

.   .   .   .

Very special added note.  See this article by Shawn on SevenForums on how to make a rescue / repair disc for Windows 7

https://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/2083-system-repair-disc-create.html

Let me know if you are able to do that.   See his note at the bottom on making a USB-based disc

NOTE:

A system repair disc is not an installation disc. You cannot do a repair install or install Windows 7 with a system repair disc.

Thank you.

Made a system repair disc.

Another problem:   Downloaded eset but it will not run.

api-ms-win-core-winrt-error-I1-1-0.dll   is missing from

your computer.
try  reinstalling the program to fix this problem.
esetonlinescanner.exe    system error

Did some reading, think I remember seeing the C files referred to in update. 

Your idea of how to repair, please.

Thanks in advance.  (asking instead of just bumbling forward and making a bigger mess)....
Also downloaded the Malwarebytes second tool, have not used yet.  lack of time.

Thank you for your patience and help.

Carolyn..

Hi Carolyn,

We can forgo the ESET online scanner.     Since there are other free scanners we can use.

This machine is on Windows 7.   Unfortunately, there are not good resources to "repair", other than the limited ones built-in with this Windows.

The Microsoft Safety Scanner  is a free Microsoft stand-alone virus scanner that  can be used to scan for & remove malware or potentially unwanted software from a system.

The download links & the how-to-run-the tool are at this link at Microsoft

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/security/threat-protection/intelligence/safety-scanner-download

Let me know the result of this.

The log is named MSERT.log 

the log will be at   C:\Windows\debug\msert.log

Please attach that log with your reply.

The above run is just to see "if" there are some "virus" or perhaps some other "infection"  that the Microsoft tool can find.

I do not believe we have an infection here.   But rather some sort of glitch-up on the operating system, Windows 7.

[     2   ]

You may try also running the Windows System File Checker tool.   To have it check some areas of the OS for integrity.

Get to an Elevated command prompt.    See how    https://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/783-elevated-command-prompt.html

Then run this on the Command prompt

sfc /scannow

tap Enter-key so that it runs.   Monitor.    Let me know what the bottom line result.

[   3   ]

Try a different scanner.   As another opinion to see "if"  there is some malware infection.

TrendMicro HouseCall scan

https://www.trendmicro.com/en_us/forHome/products/housecall.html

First, Download & Save to your Downloads folder the appropriate HouseCallLauncher

Once the download is complete, go to where the Housecalllauncher is saved & double-click it to start it.

The program will check with TrendMicro & do a update run.

Next it will show the Disclosure window.

Click Next to proceed.

The end user license agreement is presented.   Click the Accept radio button & click Next to proceed.

IF you wish a Full scan or a Custom scan, first click on the Settings

then you can select which drives you want to include in the scan.

The default is a Quick scan.

Click Scan now when ready.

The scan progress will then be displayed.   Monitor the progress or just leave it alone until it finishes this phase.

When the scan phase has completed, if any items are tagged, you will see a list, showing  the file & its location, the classification of the threat, the type, risk, and Action option.

If you see an item that you know is safe, you can click the Action  , and select Ignore.

When all done & ready, click the Fix now button.

Hello  Maurice 

Just now saw the post.  Did a restore on  computer, because was BS  almost as soon as signed in.
Had some grocery shopping to do.  (on line Walmart)  got that ordered.  Have to pick up tomorrow 7/26.

Called the man about my roof leaking...real life sometimes interferes.....
😄  

Used your 7 site to make a repair disc.  Also found out how to get the problem with Eset taken care of, but have not tried Eset again. To check out if the 'repair' worked.
  I used eset years ago, made computer as slow as

Adobe.   Last time came up for renewal didn't.  That and MaAfee....
Not my cup of soup. 
Tea? 

So appreciate your help. 

running the Malwarebytes support tool

has collected the logs, but the next item is taking a long  time 

called run frst

Now cannot find the zipped file on desktop. 

will try again to find and send later. 

bed time...

Thank  you again for your patience.

Carolyn

Found the file after I ran it again.  Think I might have made a disaster.  tried to drag the listing that shows on Desktop on the bottom of the screen. 
Better luck here.
Done. 
Thank you again Maurice. 

Carolyn... Did a Turkey slider  from Arbys and opened a can of

cranberry Sauce as a sauce and the horsey sauce isn't that great

wit turkey....
Carolyn  😄  

mbst-grab-results.zip

Ran safety scanner will attach MSERT log said no malware found but listed

4  or 5 resource errors.

also ran Windows system File Checker tool  it checked system 32 

ran a quick scan

sfc /scannow   said no violations  no report
do I also need to run for 64?  

11:30 already.  will get ready for bed again...have to go buy gas then pick up at Walmart tomorrow!

Thank you.  

By the way, maybe repairing that C update helped?  NO BSC  since 6 pm.

Now maybe you can tell me what or where I can find a way to repair those errors listed in the MSERT log?  
Did notice in one of the scans that something called PC Doctor is still there.
Are you familiar with it? 

Thank you again.  You must be a Saint with unlimited patience or else

like me a digger when I latch on to something that needs  FIXING!. 🧐

Microsoft Safety Scanner.txt

The result from the Microsoft Safety Scanner tool is perfect.  There is no virus or malware present, per that tool.

Results Summary:
----------------
No infection found.
Microsoft Safety Scanner Finished On Sat Jul 25 22:33:04 2020

The few "scan error" notations are very normal and are seen on most every run of that tool.  Disregard those entirely.  They mention the operating system working files for program swapping and for hibernation  ( sleep mode / wake).  Those are NOT messed up or anything of the sort.  The tool just cant "scan" those .   Put that tools' notations to rest.

I am very glad to know SFC ( System File Checker ) found no issues.   There is no need for anything further on that.

You noted no "BSC".  By that I take it "blue-screen crash aborts by Windows".   That is great.   Lets hope it stays that way.  Although, I have a feeling that this Windows installation is very touchy.   I would urge you to do a general backup of your system to be real sure you have backed up all of your personal documents, files,  etc.  etc.

Thank you for the Support tool ZIP file.   That is very helpful.

Lets start with a simple issue about a "setting"  on a shortcut link for Malwarebytes.

Find the Malwarebytes icon on your desktop
and right click on it with your mouse > select "Properties" > then click on the "Compatibility" tab.

Make sure that the box beside "run this program in compatibility mode for..." is left blank.
Click OK when done.

Note for the future.  If you were in future to install new applications, make it a habit to NOT set them to run in "Vista compatibility mode"   ( nor any other).

This I am guessing is something that folks would have done back in the decade of the double-oughts when Vista was just replacing Windows XP.

Windows 7 does not need that.   We no longer do those tweaks.  That is to say, those kinds of "compatibility" tweaks used to be done when  one was dealing with a very ancient application.  Modern  ( new ) programs do not need such tweaks.

I do notice you had similarly done "compatibility" settings on Firefox and Microsoft Security Essentials.   I hope to get those 2 taken care of in the custom script that follows below.

Just as a sidebar, I see that this Dell hardware has had a very very long existence. The Dell systemboard hardware BIOS is from March 2006.

Just a reminder that hardware does not last forever.   Backup is your best friend.   All hardware will fail at some point due to wear & tear & simply just physics.

I notice that your setup includes external Backup drives.   Make some time soon to do a full Backup.

[   2   ]

I notice that this machine has the most recent version of Malwarebytes for Windows.  That the last 4 scans with it have reported no malware.

The run on the 23rd with Malwarebytes Adwcleaner reported no adware / no  P U P.   Those are all great to know.

Make sure that you do one Windows RESTART before doing the procedure below.

NOTE-1:  This script will run a scan to check that all Microsoft operating system files are valid and not corrupt and attempt to correct any invalid files.

NOTE-2: As part of this fix all temporary files will be removed. If you have any open web pages that have not been bookmarked please make sure you bookmark them now as all open applications will be automatically closed. Also, make sure you know the passwords for all websites as cookies will also be removed. The use of an external password manager is highly recommended instead of using your browser to store passwords.

The following directories are emptied:

• Windows Temp
  • Users Temp folders
  • Edge, IE, FF, Chrome and Opera caches, HTML5 storages, Cookies and History
  • Recently opened files cache
  • Flash Player cache
  • Java cache
  • Steam HTML cache
  • Explorer thumbnail and icon cache
  • BITS transfer queue (qmgr*.dat files)
  • Recycle Bin

Important: items are permanently deleted. They are not moved to quarantine. If you have any questions or concerns please ask before running this fix.

The system will be rebooted after the script has run.

This custom script is for  Cararta only / for this machine only.

Close and save any open work files before starting this procedure. 

I am sending a    custom Fix script which is going to be used by the FRSTENGLISH tool. They will both work together as a pair.

Please RIGHT-click the (attached file named) FIXLIST and select SAVE  link AS and save it directly ( as is) to the  Downloads  folder

The tool named FRSTENGLISH.exe   tool    is already on the Downloads folder
Start the Windows Explorer and then, to the Downloads folder.

RIGHT click on  FRSTENGLISH    and select RUN as Administrator and allow it to proceed.  Reply YES when prompted to allow to run.
  to run the tool. If the tool warns you the version is outdated, please download and run the updated version.
IF Windows prompts you about running this, select YES to allow it to proceed.

IF you get a block message from Windows about this tool......
click line More info information on that screen
and click button Run anyway on next screen.

on the FRST window:
Click the Fix button just once, and wait.

frst-fix.jpg.f6a25291b39a03d418acc9a3b7136900.jpg

PLEASE have lots and lots of patience when this starts. You will see a green progress bar start. Lots of patience. This run here should be fairly quick.
If you receive a message that a reboot is required, please make sure you allow it to restart normally.
The tool will complete its run after restart.
When finished, the tool will make a log ( Fixlog.txt) in the same location from where it was run.

Please attach the FIXLOG.txt with your next reply later, at your next opportunity   

On the next machine restart, the machine should show briefly for a few seconds  a screen to  allow picking start mode.  Just leave it as is.  It is meant to be used in special circumstances if needed.  It will time out at 10 seconds.  So please do not be alarmed.

Sincerely,

Maurice

Fixlist.txt

• 3 weeks later...

Due to the lack of feedback, this topic is closed to prevent others from posting here.

If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this topic with your request.

This applies only to the originator of this topic. Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread.

Tips to help protect from infection

Thanks