Scheduled Scans do not Run when PC is Sleeping

I am using Malwarebytes 4.1.2 and this problem or "feature" has still not been rectified, i.e. scheduled scans won;'t run if the computer is asleep. I agree with SDM - the ability to schedule scans is largely useless if they can't be scheduled overnight when nobody is using the computer.

1 hour ago, bettatek said:

I agree with SDM - the ability to schedule scans is largely useless if they can't be scheduled overnight when nobody is using the computer.

We will pass that on to the Dev's.

Currently that is why the scheduled scan runs right after it wakes or boots by default.

• Root Admin

Hello @bettatek and :welcome:

I have moved your reply to it's own new topic. That last topic was replied to in 2018 and the product is vastly different now.

Perhaps I'm not fully understanding your complaint.

1 hour ago, bettatek said:

scheduled scans won;'t run if the computer is asleep

If the computer is asleep then nothing runs. Or do you mean it does not wake from sleep when scheduled?

If that is the case then it's possible the current version isn't working. I have not personally tested it. I do know that we make a program call to wake the computer, but it's up to the computer to actually wake up. Programs have no control over that process beyond asking.

I will report it though and see if QC can investigate

In the mean time can you please provide us with some logs

Upload Malwarebytes Support Tool logs offline

Thank you

I recall when we first tried implementing the function to wake the PC from sleep that we ran into problems because it works so inconsistently.  We determined it was a common issue which impacted many systems and programs (on many systems, even Windows itself fails to wake the device from sleep in many instances).  That was before Windows 10 though, and before Malwarebytes 4.x so things may be different now, however I do remember that the Devs tried numerous times to make this function work consistently and it was always hit or miss.

I hope this is not still the case with 10, but I suspect it is.

• 4 weeks later...

I have no knowledge of how difficult it is to wake Windows 10 from sleep reliably. All I know is that other software that runs on my Windows 10 PC manages to do that very well. Examples are the inbuilt disk defragmenter and the backup software called Macrium Reflect. When I open the Windows 10 task scheduler I see numerous programs listed that are scheduled to run overnight when the computer is asleep and they manage to do that without issue.

It just seems very sensible to be able to schedule routine non-interactive tasks to run out-of-hours so that the logged on user(s) are not impacted during the day. Minicomputers and mainframes in the 1970s used to have "batch queues" (and still do) for running non-interactive jobs at scheduled times.

• Root Admin
10 hours ago, bettatek said:

It just seems very sensible to be able to schedule routine non-interactive tasks to run out-of-hours so that the logged on user(s) are not impacted during the day. Minicomputers and mainframes in the 1970s used to have "batch queues" (and still do) for running non-interactive jobs at scheduled times.

We don't disagree but if you have dozens of support tickets per month come in with user complaints about it not working, at some point you have to do something. It appears the choice was to remove the feature. Again, you simply make a call to wake the computer. It is no longer up to your software if the computer wakes or not. It is up to Windows to wake the computer and once it does wake up then return success to the program so that it can continue. We unfortunately had a lot of user computers where Windows did not wake the computer.

Minicomputers and mainframes never slept. They remained fully running 24/7/365 and even rarely rebooted. We had one years ago that had been up for over 7 years without a reboot. But they're also not interactive and run dedicated processes. Trying to compare sleep to a scheduled batch routine is different technology.

The request to review or add a wake scan has been made. We'll have to simply wait and see if they add the feature or not.

I would also like to add that yes, on slower or older hardware a scan can produce a noticeable delay but on newer systems I rarely even notice if the scan is running and it completes in about 60 seconds.

Thank you again

Edited by AdvancedSetup
updated information