Dan964

Resolving issues with MWB runing on Win 8.1 and 10

Will do Maurice.  Had my WiFi go away on Surface this morning.  Had to cold boot to get it back.  Ran for 3-4 days without issue.  I will let it run and see how long it takes for issue to resurface.  Then may try unloading MWB and running for 2 or even 3 times as long to see if issue pops up.  Last time I had unloaded MWB it ran just fine, but that was a matter of several days as well.

The WiFi had been a problem since day one, but I've had MWB installed since day one as well.  Having to cold boot makes me think its a hardware issue, but we'll see.

Thanks for help.

Dan

Hello Dan.

As a general practice, try not to keep machine on  ( without a Restart ) for longer than 2 days.  {don't just rely on sleep / wake for many days }

A daily Restart does wonders.

You mention the Surface machine.  I'd like to see what the brand make /model & driver of the Network card.

To that end, a couple of informational reports.  

[    1    ]

One the first one, decline the prompts or such to install CCleaner.   we just want some information from a tool named Speccy.

• Please download Speccy from here and save the installer to your desktop or another location where you can easily find it.
  • Double-click the file to begin installation and follow the onscreen steps to complete the installation and make sure that the checkbox next to Run Speccy is checked before you click on Finish at the end.
  • Once the program starts it will analyze your system, please be patient as it may take a few moments to complete.
  • Once it finishes and none of the areas say Analyzing click on the File button at the top and select Save Snapshot...
  • Save the file to your desktop and click Ok to confirm
  • Go to your desktop and right-click on the file you just created and hover over Send to and select Compressed (zipped) Folder
  • Please attach the zip file you just created to your next post

NOTE: Due to changes from Avast please review the following installer settings

image.png

image.png

Why You Shouldn’t Download CCleaner for Windows Anymore
https://helpdeskgeek.com/free-tools-review/why-you-shouldnt-download-ccleaner-for-windows-anymore/

Here’s What You Should Use Instead of CCleaner
https://www.howtogeek.com/361112/heres-what-you-should-use-instead-of-ccleaner/

[     2     ]

SecurityCheck by glax24              

I would like you to run a tool named SecurityCheck to inquire on the current-security-update  status  of some applications.

• Download SecurityCheck by glax24 from here 
  • and save the tool on the desktop.
  • If Windows'sSmartScreen block that with a message-window, then
  • Click on the MORE INFO spot and over-ride that and allow it to proceed.
  • This tool is safe.Smartscreen is overly sensitive.
  • Right-click  with your mouse on the Securitycheck.exe  and select "Run as administrator"   and reply YES to allow to run & go forward
  • Wait for the scan to finish. It will open in a text file named SecurityType.txt. Close the file.Attach it with your next reply.
  • You can find this file in a folder called SecurityCheck, C:\SecurityCheck\SecurityCheck.txt

Other General note:  Regarding WIFI connection

If you run into another situation where the WIFI connection seems "not connected", then take a minute and look at the status & display of the Network connection under Windows Settings.

Settings >> Network and internet >> Look at the display of Network status  and

click on "Show available networks"     and take action ( as needed) to get the WIFI connected

Hi Maurice,

Well my bubble has burst.  My Surface had a WiFi failure that required a cold boot to repair.  Not sure I can blame this on MWB, but didn't experience this kind of failure when MWB was not installed.  I am continuing to run with MWB to see how long it takes to fail again.

My 2nd 8.1 machine, I'll call this the LivingRoomPC just soft crashed with a video card software crash.  This is the kind of failure it was experiencing when MWB was loaded with previous version. This machine ran for a long time without one of these failures when MWB was not installed.  Due to nature of failure, I'm afraid I will have to uninstall MWB before permanent damage is done.

Interestingly, I had installed MWB on both machines on same day and they both failed today.

If you are willing to take a look at either, or both, (I suggest the LRPC) let me know.

Dan

Maurice for some reason I didn't see your post above (#27), when I posted my post, #28.  I will review and follow instructions.

thanks again.

Dan

Maurice, Windows defender objects to my running Speccy.  The setup wont run.  I get a dialog saying I don't have appropriate permission and a pop up complaining about possible threat.  I follow instructions, it does a scan, but doesn't resolve issue.  I am using admin account.

Device Manager reports WiFi controller as Qualcomm Atheros QCA61x4a.  There are complaints on web referring to Surface WiFi problems. It just seems to be correlated to presence of MWB.  I will, after next 'event', unload MWB and run until either another 'event' or I'm pretty sure it isn't going to happen again.

I guess, what I'm saying is, it might be a waste of your time chasing this.  I expected a firmware update to fix problem by this time.

The issue with LRPC is more of what seems to be a conflict between MWB and the Nvidia drivers.

Dan

Hi Dan.

Running Speccy is not dangerous or harmful.   I guess I was wanting to see infomation about the driver for the network card.

SecurityCheck tool also is not dangerous.   I gave the tips on More Info & the "Run anyway" over-ride.

You mention " WiFi controller as Qualcomm Atheros QCA61x4a. "

Do what you can to see it has the latest driver.   As to the last 2 machines you mention, you should see that they get the latest Windows Updates  and also see about getting them to the latest Windows 10 release.

If one or another of your machine running win 8.1 , they can likely be updated to Windows 10.   From Microsoft and at no cost.

as to uninstalling Malwarebytes for Windows, one does not have to go to the extreme of uninstalling.   Instead, you could just have un-checked the line to auto-start with each Windows startup.    Settings >>  Security tab

scroll down to "Windows Startup"   and click that to OFF.

Then you can keep the program installed.   and just use it on-demand as needed.

I hope you are doing well yourself.    Stay safe.

Sincerely.