Had to remove Malwarebytes due to crashing Win10

59 minutes ago, The-ArtfulDodger said:

I don’t think it’s fair to ask us to monitor your forum. You should make an announcement, through the app if necessary, if you don’t have e-mail lists. Failing that, e-mail the users you do have contact information for.

Asking to monitor the forum is not just unfair, it is preposterous, and just one of the many nonsensical recommendations handed out here.

• Most users do not know that this forum exists.
  • Most users are unaware that Malwarebytes is what causes their problems. They will blame Microsoft, their computer, a virus they might have caught
  • Not knowing that Malwarebytes is the cause, they will not look for this forum.
  • Only very knowledgeable users will trace the problem to Malwarebytes, and then it is too late.

Again, it is the duty of an ethical company to inform its users that they might be in trouble. The ongoing refusal in this forum speaks volumes

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, The-ArtfulDodger said:

I don’t think it’s fair to ask us to monitor your forum. You should make an announcement, through the app if necessary, if you don’t have e-mail lists. Failing that, e-mail the users you do have contact information for.

It is definitely more than a browser issue. After the computer locks up, it becomes a problem affecting most windows features including Event Viewer and all other browsers.

The computer will not even shut down properly when in this state. Once it managed to restart, but after booting it was still chugging. Nothing but a hard reset corrects the issue that seems to be directly caused by Ransomware protection.

I also reinstalled Windows before figuring out it was Malwarebytes that was causing the issue. So whilst I appreciate your thoughts, most of your recommendations are general troubleshooting and not directly related to the cause of the problem (ransomware protection). 

You got further than me once my computer locked up. My mouse was completely unresponsive. There was no other option but a hard reset

I know it's not much money, but just as a principle (and to make it known throughout the organization) I'd ask my money back.

Edited by AdvancedSetup
removed quote

Thank you everyone for the feedback.

I agree we could have done much better at letting our users know of the issue they may encounter with Windows latest update (2004)
We did make an announcement on our support site, but agree it could have been done much sooner:

https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/articles/360050123454-Performance-issue-on-devices-running-Windows-10-version-2004-and-Malwarebytes-for-Windows

I believe messaging through the application itself would have made a bigger impact in regard to notifying everyone of the issue, even if not affected by it.

Fixing this issue is our top priority, and we are much closer.
We always try to reproduce issues on the field in house, at times it may require help from users open to troubleshooting with us.

At times we can identify quickly if the conflict is with us or with Windows, in this case it has been a bigger challenge.

I can understand how frustrating it would be for users to experience this issue and think something is severely wrong with their system. Not everyone knows of our forums to have learned about the issue.

I will be taking this feedback to our product management to come up with a better solution when it comes to notifying our users of issues such as this one.
Once the fix is released, we will make it widely known.

Thank you for your time

14 hours ago, orubio said:

Thank you everyone for the feedback.

I agree we could have done much better at letting our users know of the issue they may encounter with Windows latest update (2004)
We did make an announcement on our support site, but agree it could have been done much sooner:

https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/articles/360050123454-Performance-issue-on-devices-running-Windows-10-version-2004-and-Malwarebytes-for-Windows

I believe messaging through the application itself would have made a bigger impact in regard to notifying everyone of the issue, even if not affected by it.

Fixing this issue is our top priority, and we are much closer.
We always try to reproduce issues on the field in house, at times it may require help from users open to troubleshooting with us.

At times we can identify quickly if the conflict is with us or with Windows, in this case it has been a bigger challenge.

I can understand how frustrating it would be for users to experience this issue and think something is severely wrong with their system. Not everyone knows of our forums to have learned about the issue.

I will be taking this feedback to our product management to come up with a better solution when it comes to notifying our users of issues such as this one.
Once the fix is released, we will make it widely known.

Thank you for your time

Now that there is some kind of a (very welcome) come-to-Jesus movement, why are customers still subjected to BS like this:

On 7/12/2020 at 5:06 AM, Porthos said:

One it is a handful of computers out of the millions of users.

Why are customers with problems marginalized by the on-line team, and told that they are an insignificant minority, the oft-repeated "4 out of 400?" Why are posts deleted when they raise  problems?  Why do admins invent non-existent  forum rules to get rid of inconvenient messages?

Re the Firefox issue, I have seen stalls and have come to the opinion that its related to the Firefox recently activated DNS over HTTPS.  My 2 cents FWIW.

Dan

7 minutes ago, Dan964 said:

Re the Firefox issue, I have seen stalls and have come to the opinion that its related to the Firefox recently activated DNS over HTTPS.  My 2 cents FWIW.

Dan

Easy to find out: Disable DoH, and see whether the problem goes away.

I for one will stop using Malwarebytes.  Simple reason:  It's not the "bug" that gets me its the poor communication about it.  THAT is what I will not forgive.  I've been pulling my hair our for several weeks with freezing and BSODs daily. 

I also run AVG and I theorize that the reason this issue is not affecting more Malwarebytes customers is that the issue may be related to the combination of (1) Malwarebytes, (2) Windows update 2004 and (3) (perhaps) an antivirus such as AVG or BitDefender

8 minutes ago, Javier_ said:

It's not the "bug" that gets me its the poor communication about it. 

I am truly sorry you have encountered so many issues so I want to throw a few things out to assist the company as constructive feedback.

What sort of communication would you have liked to see? Company has to balance how notifications are delivered to not upset users.

In app use of notifications of any kind has had a big push back from many users. Not every ones is affected so it would alarm users not affected no matter how it was worded.

Email- Malwarebytes does not have all customer email addresses and there are many complaints from users when a email is required to install or use the software so that is not in full force.

As just a user like you I understand where you are coming from. But on top of just being a Long Time user, I also have been a reseller and I manage over 400 computers and only 4 are having issues with MB and 2004.

The machine I am posting on now has zero issues.

18 minutes ago, Javier_ said:

(perhaps) an antivirus such as AVG or BitDefender

None of my clients have any 3rd party AV's, just MB and Windows Defender with Defender actually active.

A few have complained about posts like this one currently (MINE) that basically am just trying to fan boy or make excuses for Malwarebytes. I just point out realities of the issues as I do not work for the company in any way. I am just a volunteer here assisting where I can.

Porthos, The intensity of the communication should generally be proportional to the impact of the issue.  I don't know how big an impact this issue is having on the Malwarebytes community at large or how many users are having this issue.  I can tell you that for me, it's the biggest impact I've had with my PC, perhaps ever (and I'm no spring chicken).  I can also tell you that I've tried many things to solve this issue and had to wrestle with this issue for a few weeks. 

Interestingly, this issue is also happening to two good friends of mine since Win 2004.  The three of us have been trying to figure this our together.  This makes me think that the issue is very wide spread and a LOT of people are suffering.  If this is as I suspect, then the proportional communication that I mention in my first sentence should be for Malwarebytes to communicate it LOUDLY.  So, if the issue is widespread and people find out that Malwarebytes sat on this without proper communication then they should do as I did and ditch of this piece of S#I^ company.

32 minutes ago, Javier_ said:

I don't know how big an impact this issue is having on the Malwarebytes community at large or how many users are having this issue.

Since I do not work for Malwarebytes I can go only by my personal client base. 4 out of 400 is not significant. I will admit only about 100 of those are on 2004. (I am working as fast as I can to upgrade compatible machines).

I can tell you that for me, it's the biggest impact I've had with my PC, perhaps ever (and I'm no spring chicken).

I totally agree and for the even better than average user and even seasoned repair techs like myself, if you did not know what was going on, it will blindside you and have you going out and reinstalling Windows, buying new equipment the works.

this piece of S#I^ company.

This is the only thing I have to disagree with. I have been a happy user and reseller of the product since the beginning. Malwarebytes does its best and usually when an issue happens to fix it as fast as possible.

Finding the issue is the hardest part when there are so many not having the issue and not finding the elusive cause because of so many different combinations of hardware and software out there.

I am pretty sure the pandemic we are experiencing world wide is not only hampering the ability for fixes to be made and tested but also is affecting everyone's patience and sanity and things are blowing up and everyone's frustration does not help any issue with computers and with life in general.

I have not seen any infected computers with the Defender Malwarebytes combination ever. I would know because I fix infected computers at no charge if Malwarebytes is installed and if the user has not allowed any blocked item in the allow list. That is how much I trust the program and the company.

I am sorry you had to leave/uninstall but I wish you all the best for you and your loved ones in these trying times we are in. Stay safe and healthy.

Porthos, the comment "this piece of S#I^ company" is in an "if" statement.  I will consider the company to be a piece of S#I^ only if the "if" part of the sentence is true, which right now I have reason to believe it is since I personally know two other people with this exact issue.  We'll see....

The problem for me is the absence of effective communication.  Bertel writes above, "Once the fix is released, we will make it widely known."  However, the mere existence of this very impactful issue is what Malwarebytes needs to make widely known.  This is actually more important!

18 minutes ago, Javier_ said:

However, the mere existence of this very impactful issue is what Malwarebytes needs to make widely known.  This is actually more important!

No argument/disagreement.

Just hard to inform people with out having more potential issues from those with no issues.

Double edged sword. I personally could not single handily deal with the amount of client calls for support if the program had a pop up warning about even possible/potential issues.

The 4 clients called and I fixed the issue with an older unaffected version of Malwarebytes. I am lucky I have a close relationship with my clients and they will call when any issue comes up.

Not every one has that kind of resource available to them. I understand the frustration endured by those who do not have the same resource and have to figure out everything on there own and then find out the cause is a conflict with Malwarebytes after days of grief and in some cases large amounts of money as well from either loss of income from the computer having issues or paying someone to figure it out.

Edited by Porthos

Hello @Javier_

That is why @Porthos asked for your opinion on what you thought would be a valid communication vehicle. I can tell you that just as much as you're upset that you were not notified, we have also had users request a refund simply for sending them an unrequested email. We've also had people request a refund from alerting within the program.

Most members are more understanding and simply write and ask how they can be exempted from an email or an alert. Point being that many people do not under any circumstances want to be bothered with communications from the company. We've done several studies trying to reach a balance where users do get emails and/or alerts or advertising within the product. We're always looking for better means of how we can keep users happy. We understand you're unhappy and rightfully so, but aside from being upset, finding and agreeing on a better solution would be great.

If you have good valid methods that you feel might appeal to most or many others, then please share your opinion.

Thank you for your feedback

Edited by AdvancedSetup
updated information

I understand the communication paradox that you find yourselves in - dammed if you do, dammed if you don't.  I do believe this problem is very wide spread - bigger than you may know.  I base this on my small circle of examples, where it is VERY prevalent.     I am aware of multiple instances from two friends (plus me) where this issue exists and removing Malwarebytes resolves it immediately.  One of them has multiple systems where three of them had this issue and had this same resolution.  That totals 5 systems affected that I know of.   This essentially amounts to an unscientific poll that suggests there is a massive number of instances out there!

As was mentioned by someone above, people affected cannot figure out what's causing it.  I was in this boat for weeks.  This fact may be masking your ability to know how many are out there.  For weeks I tried many things including restoring to several months earlier, disconnecting all unnecessary peripherals, performing Google searches, etc.  It was not until I became aware of this post that I got resolution.  My system is stable now for three days straight.  Before I had 2 to 4 hangs/freezes or BSOD per day.  My friends' systems are also stable now.

In all cases that I am aware of there is also an active either AVG or Bit Defender.  I mention this in the off chance this is a hidden and relevant factor. 

To answer your question more directly, if this is as prevalent as I think it is, then a well worded in-app message would be in order.  If it is not that prevalent... then there are many lesser options and I am not really qualified to make a good suggestion.  

Good luck,

Former customer with a multi-year / multi-device license that he will no longer use.

We have been discussing adding some type of telemetry of performance similar to what Microsoft does in Windows 10 that may help alert us on the back-end when or if someone is experiencing an unexpected performance issue so that we can attempt to track and contact only those affected.

As for uninstalling Malwarebytes that's obviously your choice, but simply turning off the Ransomware protection module will restore normal performance levels until we do have a fix for the issue.

Thank you again

Please note that we have released a new beta today that we hope should address the issue with Windows 10 build 2004

If you're running Windows 10 build 2004 and were having an issue please try the new beta and let us know if this beta version corrects the issue or not.

Thank you

Edited by AdvancedSetup
updated information

Hello The-Artfuldodger.   That is very fine.  Thank you for the status update.   Let us know if you need anything.

The Beta will keep your program updated, as each update is available.

Cheers.