Issues with Start Button and Taskbar

I have tried several methods I have seen online and have not found a solution. I use Malwarebytes and I am hoping someone here will assist me. My start button does not work if I left click on it. I am able to right click on it and a menu appears. The search function does not work. I cannot right click on icons pinned to the taskbar, but left clicking does make them work. The action center does not work either and neither does the time and calendar, volume, and my network icon.

I dont know if this is an issue related to the problem or if its a separate issue, but I am unable to access my Window Security. It tries to populate and I see a box appear but then it disappears.

I dont know what all information I need to give to fix this!

Malwarebytes 7-8-20.txt

@ptang01   :welcome:

Please do run the FRST reports as requested by AdvancedSetup.

Just for a bit of clarity, the program detected no malware, no threat, and did not do any removal.  This Windows is build 1903 /Build 18362.900

The Malwarebytes program is in trial mode.   You may simply as a test, do an Exit out of the program,  Find the blue-color-logo icon of Malwarebytes in the Notification area of the taskbar.  And then from the short popup option list, click on Quit Malwarebytes.   That will do the exit.

Then you can see if that makes any difference.   Just know that the FRST reports are needed for review.

Please also provide some detail as to when was the issue of left / right click / search box first happen.   What day was that when it first happened.

On 7/9/2020 at 1:25 AM, AdvancedSetup said:

Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to your desktop.

Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system.
You can check here if you're not sure if your computer is 32-bit or 64-bit

• Double-click to run it. When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
  • Press the Scan button.
  • It will make a log (FRST.txt) in the same directory the tool is run. Please attach it to your reply.
  • The first time the tool is run, it also makes another log (Addition.txt). Please attach it to your reply as well.

Thank you

On 7/9/2020 at 11:19 AM, Maurice Naggar said:

@ptang01   :welcome:

Please do run the FRST reports as requested by AdvancedSetup.

Just for a bit of clarity, the program detected no malware, no threat, and did not do any removal.  This Windows is build 1903 /Build 18362.900

The Malwarebytes program is in trial mode.   You may simply as a test, do an Exit out of the program,  Find the blue-color-logo icon of Malwarebytes in the Notification area of the taskbar.  And then from the short popup option list, click on Quit Malwarebytes.   That will do the exit.

Then you can see if that makes any difference.   Just know that the FRST reports are needed for review.

Please also provide some detail as to when was the issue of left / right click / search box first happen.   What day was that when it first happened.

Sorry for the late reply!! I have ran the program. It didnt open immediately I had to check compatibility to even get it to run. I have attached the 2 reports you requested. 

I had downloaded Malwarebytes about a month ago, this issue has been relevant since March. 

Addition.txt FRST.txt

Hi,  @ptang01      :welcome:

My name is Maurice. I will be helping and guiding you, going forward on this case.

Let me know what first name you prefer to go by.

Thanks for the FRST reports.  By the way, you do not need to click on the Quote spot when starting a reply.  Just simply go to the very bottom of the forum page  ( at the end) and in the white box, start your typing there.

According to the FRST, this pc runs on Windows 8 Pro 64-bit.

This pc has Avast antivirus, as well as Malwarebytes for Windows.

Let us see if we can start with a couple of things.

[   1    ]

There is one setting in Malwarebytes that needs to be off.    The Premium ( or trial ) protections of Malwarebytes will still be on.

Start Malwarebytes. Click Settings ( gear ) icon. Next, lets make real sure that Malwarebytes does NOT register with Windows Security Center 

Click the Security Tab. Scroll down to 

"Windows Security Center"

Click the selection to the left  for the line "Always register Malwarebytes in the Windows Security Center"

NEXT

Click the tab on the left side marked "General".

Look for the button marked "Check for Updates "   and click it  and allow it to do a Update run.

Follow all prompts.

Hoping that this will get the update to Component 1.0.979.

Close Malwarebytes program  ( window).

[   2   ]

See the OPTION TWO  on this article so that you run the System File Checker command.

https://www.eightforums.com/threads/sfc-scannow-command-run-in-windows-8.3047/

[   3   ]

If you would humor me,  I would like for you to run one simple Command in a command prompt window.

In the Command prompt, type in

winver

Write down the full Windows version  and build number.

Thank you

Edited by Maurice Naggar

I am going to list ( just in case ) some Windows 8 keyboard shortcut keys that can be very very handy in situations like this.

The double key sequences require that you press and hold the 1st key and then tap the 2nd.

Windows Key + X: Brings up a menu of advanced system options, including Windows Control Panel, Command Prompt, Task Manager and File Explorer.

Windows Key + R: Opens Run menu where you can launch programs by typing in their executable file names.

Windows Key + E : Opens the Windows File Explorer.

Windows Key + Tab: Brings up the Task Switcher and toggles between windows for the running apps.

Windows Key + F: Opens universal search menu and sets it to search files.

Windows Key +T : Display the Windows Taskbar

Windows Key + D :  Display the Desktop

Edited by Maurice Naggar

You can refer to me at ptang that will be fine.

1 completed and it updated.

2 i ran it and it says windows resource protection could not start the repair service

3 That is weird on my About it says that I have windows 10 64 bit. How do I have windows 8? 

The prompt you asked me to run pulled this

Windows 10

Version 1903 OS Build 18362.900

Hi Ptang.

Then it looks like FRST reported in error on the Windows version.  You have verified it is on Windows 10  build 1903.

Let's have you run a command using an Elevated Command prompt window.

Windows Key + X  on keyboard and pick Command Prompt ( Admin )

then type in , or better yet, Copy from here and then PASTE into the command-window

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

tap Enter.   Monitor and let me know what the bottom line result is.

Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired them.
For online repairs, details are included in the CBS log file located at
windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For offline
repairs, details are included in the log file provided by the /OFFLOGFILE flag.

OK.   Now then, what is the current situation as far as the Windows start menu functionality  ...  right click  ....left click

I am jut curious about that.

Start a Elevated Powershell command prompt-window.

On the Windows taskbar, on the Search box, type in

powershell

Wait and look for the results list.  Click on the line that shows Powershell with "Run as Administrator".

Then you will see the Powershell window.

Into that, we want to Copy & Paste

Start-MpScan

tap Enter-key to proceed.   This should run a scan with Windows defender.

Next, Copy & Paste

remove-mpthreat

tap Enter key.

Let me know what the results were.  You may close the Powershell window after all is done.

The Windows Defender run apparently did its tasks, since there were no messages showing a error or such.

You did well.   You say "everything works."   I wanted to have you verify that that also means that the Start button functions are back to Normal.

Beyond that, I have 2 other suggestions about Windows.  The first is to have the machine be able to have the means visually to see advanced start options.

The second is to turn off the standard auto-reboot if the system hits a system error condition.

Press   Windows Key + X  on keyboard and pick Command Prompt ( Admin )

There are 2 command lines listed below.  COPY & Paste into the Command-window ( or type verbatim each command line)  

& after each, press Enter key on keyboard.

bcdedit /set {bootmgr} displaybootmenu yes

wmic recoveros set AutoReboot = False

Close the Command window after you are all done.

Next tip:   Have a clean or new USB-flash-thumb drive and make the USB with the Microsoft Windows Media Creation tool.

This USB can be used in the situation of a bad pinch when ( if ) the system is not able to load up Windows normally   ( or even if the machine does not show the advanced startup menu).   Just make the USB  and stash it away safely.

That is outlined at the top of this article, as Option ONE

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2376-create-bootable-usb-flash-drive-install-windows-10-a.html

This USB can be used as a rescue tool if needed.

Glad we could help.

If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this topic with your request.

This applies only to the originator of this thread. Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread.

Please review the following for Tips to help protect from infection

Thank you