Another Contact License Server Issue/System Slowdown

Hello,

Since the last version update, Malwarebytes has been unable to contact the license server, whenever starting.

Also, this is the second, out of the last three version itinerations that have caused my system to slowdown, to such an extent, I am forced to quit out of Malwarebytes, & restart Windows Defender. Although, the system seems fine, at present, it can take some time for the issue to present itself. As I have only restarted MB a short time before, this period may not have been reached.

During the first version -that showed this issue- 3 versions ago, I followed advice given to others who were experiencing the same problem. I found by shutting down MB components separately, the issue did not disappear, & I had to completely shutdown MB then, too.

If some simple solution cannot be presented -as I don't have alot of time -or PC expertise- then I would request how to locate the previous MB version, & I'll revert to that, until I am certain the issue has been sorted. I would prefer a downloadable version link, so I have a permanent copy of it, in case similar recurs, in the future.

I have attached the logs, as scraped by the latest MB support tool, as well as a screenshot, of the dialogue error box.

Thank you for your time, on this matter.

Malwarebytes Issues.jpg

mbst-grab-results.zip

• Staff

***This is an automated reply***

Hi,

Thanks for posting in the Malwarebytes for Windows Help forum.

If you are having technical issues with our Windows product, please do the following:

Malwarebytes Support Tool - Advanced Options

This feature is designed for the following reasons:

• For use when you are on the forums and need to provide logs for assistance
  • For use when you don't need or want to create a ticket with Malwarebytes
  • For use when you want to perform local troubleshooting on your own

How to use the Advanced Options:

Spoiler
  1. Download Malwarebytes Support Tool
  2. Double-click mb-support-X.X.X.XXXX.exe to run the program
    • You may be prompted by User Account Control (UAC) to allow changes to be made to your computer. Click Yes to consent.
  3. Place a checkmark next to Accept License Agreement and click Next
  4. Navigate to the Advanced tab
  5. The Advanced menu page contains four categories:
    • Gather Logs: Collects troubleshooting information from the computer. As part of this process, Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST) is run to perform a complete diagnosis. The information is saved to a file on the Desktop named mbst-grab-results.zip and can be added as an email attachment or uploaded to a forum post to assist with troubleshooting the issue at hand.
    • Clean: Performs an automated uninstallation of all Malwarebytes products installed to the computer and prompts to install the latest version of Malwarebytes for Windows afterwards. The Premium license key is backed up and reinstated. All user configurations and other data are removed. This process requires a reboot.
    •  Repair System: Includes various system-related repairs in case a Windows service is not functioning correctly that Malwarebytes for Windows is dependent on. It is not recommended to use any Repair System options unless instructed by a Malwarebytes Support agent.
    • Anonymously help the community by providing usage and threat statistics: Unchecking this option will prevent Malwarebytes Support Tool from sending anonymous telemetry data on usage of the program.
  6. To provide logs for review click the Gather Logs button
  7. Upon completion, click OK
  8. A file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your Desktop
  9. Please attach the file in your next reply.
  10. To uninstall all Malwarebytes Products, click the Clean button.
  11. Click the Yes button to proceed. 
  12. Save all your work and click OK when you are ready to reboot.
  13. After the reboot, you will have the option to re-install the latest version of Malwarebytes for Windows.
  14. Select Yes to install Malwarebytes.
  15. Malwarebytes for Windows will open once the installation completes successfully.

Screenshots:

Spoiler

Spoiler

01.png

02.png

03.png

04.png

05.png

06.png

If you are having licensing issues, please do the following: 

Spoiler

For any of these issues:

• Renewals
  • Refunds (including double billing)
  • Cancellations
  • Update Billing Info
  • Multiple Transactions
  • Consumer Purchases
  • Transaction Receipt

Please contact our support team at https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/requests/new to get help

If you need help looking up your license details, please head here: Find my premium license key

Thanks in advance for your patience.

-The Malwarebytes Forum Team

18 hours ago, Porthos said:

Ok, Let me rephrase. Is you internet connected at all times when the computer is on?

Yes. I do not have issues with network disconnectivity.

My PC is always connected; regardless. I do have the occasional glitch, where rebooting resolves the disconnection. But this has not occurred for some time.

Thanks, for the clarification.

16 hours ago, AdvancedSetup said:

Possibly try changing to the Google Public DNS server.

Will check back on you again tomorrow

Thanks

OK. I am changing DNS IDs now.

Will report back results, positively, or negatively.

Thanks, for the support.

PS. regarding the PC slowdown; since yesterday's update (just a definition's update, I am assuming) the computer appears to run normally. No mouse, or keystrokes' slowdown. Go figure??

• Root Admin

If you're willing to use a beta, we do have this update.

New MB4 Beta CU12 should resolve most of the reported audio stuttering and slow DNS issues while torrenting and other fixes. Please see the post for more details.
Please give it a try and let us know if this resolves your issue or not as well

Thank you

OK. I changed the DNS servers to the Google public ones, quit MB, then restarted Malwarebytes. All appears normal: no error box occurred.

Is this the correct procedure, for your diagnostics?

I have also attached 2 sets of MB Logs' folders:

-1 with original DNS server addresses, which also appears not to have the PC slowdowns, and;

-1 operating after changing to the Google server addresses.

Hope these help.

Thanks to all, once again.

mbst-grab-results_Google Servers.zip mbst-grab-results_Pre-Slowdown.zip

7 minutes ago, AdvancedSetup said:

If you're willing to use a beta, we do have this update.

New MB4 Beta CU12 should resolve most of the reported audio stuttering and slow DNS issues while torrenting and other fixes. Please see the post for more details.
Please give it a try and let us know if this resolves your issue or not as well

Thank you

Advancedsetup,

I will try the beta version, if the modifications are not permanent. Thanks.

Question: can I leave the DNS servers set to the Google ones permanently? If so, are there any limitations. Cheers.

• Root Admin

I would recommend you consider uninstalling Bonjour - go to Control Panel, Programs, Uninstall

What exactly is mDNSResponder.exe?

https://www.groovypost.com/howto/howto/what-is-mdnsresponder-exe-and-why-is-it-running/

MDNSResponder, also known as Bonjour, is Apple’s native zero-configuration networking process for Mac that was ported over to Windows and associated with MDNSNSP.DLL.  On a Mac or iOS device, this program is used for networking nearly everything.  On Windows, this process is only necessary for sharing libraries via iTunes and other Mac applications like the Apple TV that were ported to Windows.  Bonjour allows different computers running iTunes to communicate with each other regardless of network configuration, this is because it enables automatic network discovery.

What Is mDNSResponder.exe / Bonjour and How Can I Uninstall or Remove It?
https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/6456/what-is-mdnsresponder.exe-bonjour-and-how-can-i-uninstall-or-remove-it/

Looking at your logs I see there are some entries that should not be setup like that. It looks like the last time you did a clean removal and reinstall was back in 2018. I would suggest you remove the following Scheduled Task, then follow the directions from the following topic to do a clean removal and reinstall of the program.

Task: {7A6363EA-39F3-4A9F-BE7F-868D69A8BE0D} - System32\Tasks\Malwarebytes => %windir%\System32\cmd.exe /c start "Malwarebytes" "C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\mbam.exe"

Uninstall and reinstall Malwarebytes using the Malwarebytes Support Tool

Yes, you can leave the DNS server on Google permanently if you like. They are public and free

Cheers