Just a couple of remarks.  Porthos and myself are volunteers on this forum.  We are not employees of Malwarebytes.  End-Users helping users of the program.

He has many years of direct experience on all sorts of computer hardware, as well as with the Malwarebytes software.

I have been in computers even before the Altair.  I have been using Malwarebytes since the very first original version came out, way before any premium version.

One note just to remind some other readers.   The Windows build 2004  ( May 2020 ) is optional.  It only gets downloaded if one clicks on the Download and install button.  A picture of that is at this post   https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/261493-malware-divorce-enough-is-enough/?do=findComment&comment=1392773

There are known issues with Build 2004 that Microsoft has identified and listed

The link below is to the Microsoft site.  The article lists issues under investigation, as well as those that have been resolved.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/release-information/status-windows-10-2004

I regret all the trouble you encountered.  I do wish you well.  I have no need  or desire to continue with any sort of discussion here.

I wish everyone well.

As to the Malwarebytes program,  some system configurations can encounter issues

https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/articles/360050123454-Performance-issue-on-devices-running-Windows-10-version-2004-and-Malwarebytes-for-Windows

One of the top suggestions, if applicable, is a clean re-install process using the support tool.

6 minutes ago, Bertel said:

Whoever does the marketing for Malwarebytes, touting Ransomware Protection as using “proprietary tech to create a powerful defense against malware that locks down your PC and takes your files and photos hostage,” will explode when reading on Malwarebyte’s own support forum that the proprietary tech “is the least proactive,” and that the recommendation is to switch it off altogether.

The ransomware protection is the last defense of the 4 protections is the other way to put it.

It reacts to the act/signs of encryption. When a process looks like encryption it is there to block it. This process can lead to false positives like the one that happened with Office programs that was just annouced as fixed.

Like you I am an end user with a long history with the program. Up's and downs as well. But I volunteer here because I trust and believe in the program and it has served me and my clients well for many years.

I am also respectfully removing my self from this thread. I am just here to help not get into discussions like we are in now.

2 hours ago, Bertel said:

@porthos, you are not doing Malwarebytes a big favor with your combative and arrogant stance.

Bertel, outstanding post above. Thank you for taking the time to research and compose it. I also agree strongly with your assessment of the responses that we continue to receive from forum staff. Whether a volunteer or employee, representatives of the company reflect on that company - in this case, quite poorly. To repeatedly tell a customer, in effect, "I don't have your problem," "you're welcome not to use our product," and other condescending and defensive remarks is extremely unprofessional. In fact, after having been a customer for years, I was willing to wait a while longer for fixes to the product, but the attitudes expressed here, which again reflect on the company, have led me to uninstall MWB from all my computers. By the way, let's not forget the IPv6 problems with Web Protection - and they are not just with IPv6 ping. In conclusion, I almost never write negative comments online, but I feel they are warranted on this occasion.

Let's all please try to relax and remember to remain courteous to others.

@Bertel

As has been pointed out. We are aware of issues with Malwarebytes and Windows 10 build 2004. There was a new beta update today, but it does not address the issue with Windows 10 build 2004 yet. We hope to have that resolved in the next beta if at all possible.

For most users unchecking the Ransomware Protection resolves the performance issue until we're able to get this resolved. Others, as said, have reverted to an earlier build as well to resolve the issue temporarily until we have a fix for it.

Thank you

I opened a topic on the issues that I perceived to be between Bitdefender, Malwarebytes Premium, and Windows 10 Version 2004.  That topic was "edited" by persons unknown to me, without my consent at a later date, to remove subsequent messages before it was locked by @AdvancedSetup.  That topic was opened some time ago.  I did not raise the issue with you, Ron, but I was disappointed at what I perceived as "censorship" of my topic by Malwarebytes staff.  I don't know who did it, so I am not making any accusations against any specific staff member.

I have to agree with the OP that, personally, I would have expected a more robust and timely response from Malwarebytes to these Windows 10 Version 2004 issues.  I am running two Dell OEM computers (XPS 8930 SE desktop, purchased October 2019 and a Dell XPS 15 7590, purchased in May 2020).  Both computers have encountered issues with Windows 10, Version 2004, and I currently have MBAM Ransomware Protection disabled, but I do get occasional issues with Google reporting "Resolving Host" issues and hanging, despite that.  I am running the latest beta and I don't have Fast Startup enabled.  Bitdefender and MBAM are configured to play nicely together in the same "sandbox" and they have for years done so by including the recommended exclusions in both products.

The "memory leak" issue of some time ago, was addressed directly, and quickly, by the CEO of Malwarebytes, as was appropriate.  I commend him for that.  QA seems to be lacking, in my personal opinion, and the "fix" for this issue has been too slow in coming.  This has gone on for far too long; and, as the OP has stated, most users will blame the Windows 10 Version 2004 update, because only a very small percentage of MBAM users ever even visit these Forums let alone know that they exist.  This is a disservice to Malwarebytes customers, I respectfully submit.  Honestly, I am beginning to wonder ... .  As you know, this issue made the "News" at BC.

I would really recommend that Malwarebytes management give this issue the priority it deserves and refrain from appearing to blame the users/customers.

Just my two cents, Ron.  I hope that my comments will be respected in the spirit in which they have been offered: Malwarebytes is an awesome product, but perhaps, in this instance, over-reach, the lack of QA, and most importantly, not being publicly seen to aggressively resolve these issues, is crippling the company's reputation.

Regards,
-Phil

Thank you so much for your reply Phil, @garioch7

I've sent you a private message with confirmation from the logs from the server that there were no edits performed by anyone at Malwarebytes on your topic. There was one post deleted as it was inappropriate and not related, but no edits by us. We do reserve the right to edit, modify, or delete but in most cases we do our best to allow constructive criticism or other complaints as long as they're not rude or vulgar.

The Windows 10 build-2004 performance issue is our current top priority, the first fix we tried seemed to have solved it in our various systems where we were able to reproduce it, but not with some of the Live Users that are working with us out there, so it didn't make the cut for our latest Beta release.

We will release a new CU update soon. We have been working nonstop on this for over a week (around the clock actually / literally we do have folks in Europe, the West Coast, and the East Coast) and it does keep us up at night.

Also, if I may (just my own personal observation) I think the COVID-19 lock-down is stressing some of us more than others might normally be which is understandable (more people at home in front of their computers and for longer periods of time). Not an excuse mind you. Rest assured there is nothing we value more than our Users, we feel their frustrations and in the end, we will overcome these current situations and come out stronger on the other side.

Thank you again for being in the front lines helping us as with some other users as well, we appreciate and try to honor your efforts in helping us succeed.

Once a beta is available we will post and let everyone know.

@Advancedsetup, I don’t think you appreciate the gravity of the situation.

As previously mentioned, users will update to Windows 2004, experience huge problems, and blame Microsoft, or their computer, because they do not know that Malwarebytes is the cause. I’m so old, and have been around computers so long, that I once handed Bill Gates $300 for a roll of punched tape with a BASIC interpreter on it. Nevertheless, I performed, as documented above, three upgrades and removals of Windows 2004, along with a completely new install of Windows until I noticed by elimination that Malwarebytes was the culprit.  You should assume that uncounted numbers of Windows 2004 users live in silent misery, unaware that your product is the cause.

You should immediately, and automatically, recall the version causing problems, or, at the very least put up a message to 2004 users that they might encounter problems. Furthermore, turning off a feature people paid for is not an acceptable solution, especially because most users will not realize that it is Malwarebytes that is causing their problems.

That said, there are older, some very old, unaddressed problems.

• I had the “Real-Time Protection turned off” problem just a few days ago, before I yanked Malwarebytes. This was with the latest updates, and with all mitigations recommended in this forum applied. This is a dangerous problem because it leaves users thinking that after clicking “Turn on” they are protected, while in fact they are not.
  • In the past, and until last Sunday, I encountered a host of unexplainable Windows problems, such as sudden slowdowns after hours of use, freezing apps, stuttering video, Internet down, and occasional crashes. At the same time, memory usage was low (I have 128G anyway), and no overly CPU-greedy process showed up in Task Manager. A few completely new installs of Windows did not solve the problem. I learned to live with the problems like living with a sick relative, and to re-boot after a few hours. That was with Windows builds < 2004, and in two separate boxes, one Intel, one AMD. 

Ever since Malwarebytes was removed last Sunday, these problems are GONE.

Thank you for making this topic @Bertel. Similar to yourself I stopped using Malwarebytes last month (and plan to keep it that way) after spending countless hours trying to resolve issues caused by malwarebytes, as I commented in this other thread: 

The thing that has frustrated me the most about all of this is the terrible communication around these issues. From the threads that I have read, every time an issue like this comes up there's a workaround posted and if you're lucky they let you know "devs are working on fixing it". That doesn't really give me any confidence, especially when "devs are working on fixing it" and it has been months with absolutely no update. So I'm glad that @AdvancedSetup has at least given some sort of update about this particular issue in this thread. That post alone has more substance than the pinned "Performance Issue with Windows 10 2004" thread. Why hasn't that been updated with a similar update? The pinned thread from 2 weeks ago that says "We'll post updates to the situation on this thread, as available." has no updates... No update report in 2 weeks does not give me confidence in Malwarebytes.

By the way, my problem wasn't caused by the 2004 update, and I don't know if my issue ended up getting fixed. I check the release page here: 

and I see:

* June 17: Fixed: Certain MWAC BSODs under certain circumstances
* July 1: Fixed: additional MWAC BSODs under certain circumstances

Like ?????? I have no idea if this is related to my issue. Sure I had a BSOD caused by MWAC, but the same thing also caused audio stutter, PC freezing. Were they all fixed by this?

And actually right as I type this I find:

That says: "Fixed: Several Web protection BSODs and incompatibilities"

Which seems like the more likely fix, but "stuttering" is not mentioned anywhere there, just "incompatibilities". You actually have to check @AdvancedSetup's post in another thread to link the two together:

Would it really hurt to add some more detail to the release notes? Especially considering that issue has been around since at least February, which is when the thread above was created. I understand that it was only a beta release page, but given the lack of details on the non-beta release page, I honestly doubt any details would have been provided.

And that's what frustates me the most. You have an issue from February, affecting many users, with a lack of updates (or updates scattered around in multiple posts because nobody will pin a thread for it), and when you do fix it 5 months later, you get a one line explanation, which is so vague you can't even tell it was related to the issue in the first place.

In my case I spend tens of hours trying to debug the issue, suffered through reinstalling software from fresh windows reinstalls, swapping out hardware, and not to mention finding the time to do all that during WFH and what am I greeted with? "Devs are working on fixing it" while the issue has been going on for months with no meaningful update report, and then when it does get fixed I get absolutely no explanation about what happened. Why did I have to waste tens of hours trying to resolve this with absolutely no explanation as to what happened? How can I have confidence in Malwarebytes that it won't happen again when this is how you treat a customer who spends so much time trying to solve an issue caused by your product? How can I trust them anymore? I just can't.

Posted (edited)

"We'll post updates to the situation on this thread, as available." has no updates... 

As a former Malwarebytes Product Manager and QA for Malwarebytes Premium and most of Malwarebytes' other products at the time, I can speak from experience that generally, until the actual cause of an issue has been isolated and a fix coded, there really are not applicable updates to provide because without fully understanding the cause and likely fix for an issue, there is no possibility of getting an accurate estimate from the Developers.  Fixes are not like features which can more readily be estimated based on the projected work required since fixing bugs requires around 90% detective work (hence all the gathering of logs and info from affected users throughout each thread where a user has reported the issues) and around 10% actually patching/fixing the code.  After that the fix must be vetted by QA, not only to ensure that it corrects the reported issue, but also that it does not introduce any new bugs, issues or instability into the product (this is also why it gets released first as a beta prior to being released to everyone so that it may be tested, particularly by affected users which is also why the staff always notifies affected users by responding to their threads as soon as such a build becomes available and they will do the same once the final fixed build has been released).

With all of that said, I have not known any antivirus or anti-malware vendor that notifies users of all potential bugs/issues (nor any other software for that matter) and it is typically the case that either the issue is simply silently fixed in the background, or if it is a particular prevalent and/or persistent issue, an FAQ and/or KB entry may be created to describe the issue and any relevant workarounds (as they did in a pinned topic on the forums for this issue once it was requested by some of the users here).

As for providing additional details, I'm not sure what more they could provide.  A set of release notes is generally a very brief description of issues addressed and features added in a release and Malwarebytes' release documentation appears largely inline with other release notes I've seen (for those products which provide them, most AV and AM vendors do not, and I speak from first-hand experience having used many throughout my life including extensive testing of a wide array of IS and AV products for compatibility with Malwarebytes when I was QA).

I understand the frustration being expressed, however I know that the entire team is anxious to finally have this issue addressed.  It has been among the top priority issues being worked on since it was first reported, however it appeared to take a long time to replicate the issue and isolate a common variable among affected systems, particularly when similarly configured systems were often not affected (I was personally looking at everything from AVs to Windows Updates to audio chipsets/drivers and network chipsets/drivers with no single common thread that I could discern; this means the Devs likely had to do a lot of heavy detective work alongside Support and QA to root out the issue which also jives with the length of time that this issue has persisted).

Edited by exile360
Corrected info

Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, exile360 said:

....The beta with the fix is available now, so you can immediately test to see if it resolves the issue or simply await the final release of the fixed build.  It is of course your choice....

Hi exile360:

Which beta version (or bug) are you referring you? Erix's product update announcement <here> for Beta v4.1.2.73 / Component Package 1.0.979 says...

This Beta does not address 

• MB4 causes severe system performance issues with Windows 10 v2004

.. and employee Becky Dubrow's thread Performance Issue with Windows 10 2004 pinned at the top of this Malwarebytes for Windows board hasn't been updated since it was posted on 25-Jun-2020.
-------------
64-bit Win 10 Pro v1909 build 18363.900 * Firefox ESR v68.10.0 * Windows Defender v4.18.2006.10 * Malwarebytes Free v4.1.2-1.0.976

Edited by lmacri

9 minutes ago, lmacri said:

Hi exile360:

Which beta version (or bug) are you referring you? Erix's product update announcement <here> for Beta v4.1.2.73 / Component Package 1.0.979 says...

.. and employee Becky Dubrow's thread Performance Issue with Windows 10 2004 pinned at the top of this Malwarebytes for Windows board hasn't been updated since it was posted on 25-Jun-2020.
-------------
64-bit Win 10 Pro v1909 build 18363.900 * Firefox ESR v68.10.0 * Windows Defender v4.18.2006.10 * Malwarebytes Free v4.1.2-1.0.976

Apologies, I had the two issues mixed up (the stuttering audio/performance issue is the one I was referencing).  I'll correct my post accordingly, thanks.

That said, my previous statements still stand with regards to testing/fixing issues; it's something I have a few years' experience with having worked with the Devs on countless issues in the past and having already heard from the PM team personally, not to mention what AdvancedSetup has already stated with regards to this issue's priority and status.

2 hours ago, Syurba said:

In my case I spend tens of hours trying to debug the issue, suffered through reinstalling software from fresh windows reinstalls, swapping out hardware, and not to mention finding the time to do all that during WFH and what am I greeted with? "Devs are working on fixing it" while the issue has been going on for months with no meaningful update report, and then when it does get fixed I get absolutely no explanation about what happened. Why did I have to waste tens of hours trying to resolve this with absolutely no explanation as to what happened? How can I have confidence in Malwarebytes that it won't happen again when this is how you treat a customer who spends so much time trying to solve an issue caused by your product? How can I trust them anymore? I just can't.

This about sums  it up. I also have lost all confidence. If a dev-team working in three timezones has been unable for the last FOUR years to  fix the  "Real-time protection turned off" problem, which sounds like a rather trivial persistence issue, how should  I believe that they can fix the Windows 2004 problem? Especially when it looks like the same problem has been there all along, albeit less pronounced?  Today, I have canceled automatic payment on my two Malwarebytes licenses.

mwbdisabled.png.07d1320ef1ba604c91e5541cf7a47ae2.png

I have hidden some posts as some people have decided to take this personal. Please discontinue that type of behavior or posting ability will be removed.

Thank you

@AdvancedSetup:

Thank you for your PM and a copy of the relevant log entries for my topic.  I must have been confused.  Please accept my apologies.

I also appreciated your comment in this topic.  I think we are both hoping for a speedy resolution to the current Windows 2004 issues and Malwarebytes Premium.

Have a great day.

Regards,
-Phil

Posted (edited)

Please note that we have released a new beta today that we hope should address the issue with Windows 10 build 2004

If you're running Windows 10 build 2004 and were having an issue please try the new beta and let us know if this beta version corrects the issue or not.

Thank you

Edited by AdvancedSetup
updated information