Unable to contact license server.

Hi,

I get "Network Settings: Unable to contact license server. Check your network settings or contact your system administrator for help" message when I open MBAM. AFAIK, it might have started today, but of-course, I haven't opened the MBAM GUI in a while.

I'm on Windows 10 Home 1909 build. I've got a lifetime license. I don't have any other AV or Firewalls installed. I haven't edited my hosts file. MBAM seems to update and run just fine otherwise. I'm able to resolve and ping the MBAM server.

Is this a known issue?

I've attached some screenshots that might help.

Thanks

ping.png

hosts.png

MBAM.png

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

***This is an automated reply***

Hi,

Thanks for posting in the Malwarebytes for Windows Help forum.

If you are having technical issues with our Windows product, please do the following:

Malwarebytes Support Tool - Advanced Options

This feature is designed for the following reasons:

• For use when you are on the forums and need to provide logs for assistance
  • For use when you don't need or want to create a ticket with Malwarebytes
  • For use when you want to perform local troubleshooting on your own

How to use the Advanced Options:

Spoiler
  1. Download Malwarebytes Support Tool
  2. Double-click mb-support-X.X.X.XXXX.exe to run the program
    • You may be prompted by User Account Control (UAC) to allow changes to be made to your computer. Click Yes to consent.
  3. Place a checkmark next to Accept License Agreement and click Next
  4. Navigate to the Advanced tab
  5. The Advanced menu page contains four categories:
    • Gather Logs: Collects troubleshooting information from the computer. As part of this process, Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST) is run to perform a complete diagnosis. The information is saved to a file on the Desktop named mbst-grab-results.zip and can be added as an email attachment or uploaded to a forum post to assist with troubleshooting the issue at hand.
    • Clean: Performs an automated uninstallation of all Malwarebytes products installed to the computer and prompts to install the latest version of Malwarebytes for Windows afterwards. The Premium license key is backed up and reinstated. All user configurations and other data are removed. This process requires a reboot.
    •  Repair System: Includes various system-related repairs in case a Windows service is not functioning correctly that Malwarebytes for Windows is dependent on. It is not recommended to use any Repair System options unless instructed by a Malwarebytes Support agent.
    • Anonymously help the community by providing usage and threat statistics: Unchecking this option will prevent Malwarebytes Support Tool from sending anonymous telemetry data on usage of the program.
  6. To provide logs for review click the Gather Logs button
  7. Upon completion, click OK
  8. A file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your Desktop
  9. Please attach the file in your next reply.
  10. To uninstall all Malwarebytes Products, click the Clean button.
  11. Click the Yes button to proceed. 
  12. Save all your work and click OK when you are ready to reboot.
  13. After the reboot, you will have the option to re-install the latest version of Malwarebytes for Windows.
  14. Select Yes to install Malwarebytes.
  15. Malwarebytes for Windows will open once the installation completes successfully.

Screenshots:

Spoiler

Spoiler

01.png

02.png

03.png

04.png

05.png

06.png

If you are having licensing issues, please do the following: 

Spoiler

For any of these issues:

• Renewals
  • Refunds (including double billing)
  • Cancellations
  • Update Billing Info
  • Multiple Transactions
  • Consumer Purchases
  • Transaction Receipt

Please contact our support team at https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/requests/new to get help

If you need help looking up your license details, please head here: Find my premium license key

Thanks in advance for your patience.

-The Malwarebytes Forum Team

18 minutes ago, kola1 said:

MBAM seems to update and run just fine otherwise. I'm able to resolve and ping the MBAM server.

We need to get information from this machine in order to have the proper detail to help you forward.
 NOTE: The tools and the information obtained is safe and not harmful to your privacy or your computer, please allow the programs to run if blocked by your system.

Download Malwarebytes Support Tool

Once the file is downloaded, open your Downloads folder/location of the downloaded file
    Double-click mb-support xxx.xx.exe to run the report
        You may be prompted by User Account Control (UAC) to allow changes to be made to your computer. Click Yes to consent.

Place a checkmark next to Accept License Agreement and click Next
    You will be presented with a page stating, "Get Started!"

Do NOT use the button “Start repair” !
    Click the Advanced tab on the left column

Click the Gather Logs button

A progress bar will appear and the program will proceed with getting logs from your computer

Upon completion, click a file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your Desktop. Click OK
    Please attach the ZIP file in your next reply.

19 minutes ago, Porthos said:

We need to get information from this machine in order to have the proper detail to help you forward.
 NOTE: The tools and the information obtained is safe and not harmful to your privacy or your computer, please allow the programs to run if blocked by your system.

Download Malwarebytes Support Tool

Once the file is downloaded, open your Downloads folder/location of the downloaded file
    Double-click mb-support xxx.xx.exe to run the report
        You may be prompted by User Account Control (UAC) to allow changes to be made to your computer. Click Yes to consent.

Place a checkmark next to Accept License Agreement and click Next
    You will be presented with a page stating, "Get Started!"

Do NOT use the button “Start repair” !
    Click the Advanced tab on the left column

Click the Gather Logs button

A progress bar will appear and the program will proceed with getting logs from your computer

Upon completion, click a file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your Desktop. Click OK
    Please attach the ZIP file in your next reply.

Well, the issue may have been fixed naturally. Shortly after I made the forum post, I rebooted the machine like a true IT professional and upon bootup, MBAM prompted to install an update to version 4.1.2.73, which I'm assuming is the latest.

I've tried opening and closing MBAM several times now and don't get the error message anymore :)

Thanks for offering to help!

30 minutes ago, kola1 said:

Well, the issue may have been fixed naturally. Shortly after I made the forum post, I rebooted the machine like a true IT professional and upon bootup, MBAM prompted to install an update to version 4.1.2.73, which I'm assuming is the latest.

That was going to be the first thing I suggested after the logs.

If you have not done so already...

I suggest turning off fast startup in Windows. Then restart. It helps avoid issues with Malwarebytes and many other programs.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4189-turn-off-fast-startup-windows-10-a.html

11 minutes ago, Porthos said:

That was going to be the first thing I suggested after the logs.

If you have not done so already...

I suggest turning off fast startup in Windows. Then restart. It helps avoid issues with Malwarebytes and many other programs.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4189-turn-off-fast-startup-windows-10-a.html

Thanks for the tip! You just blew my mind. I never new Win 10 goes into a quasi-hybernate mode at shutdowns. Much appreciated! I shut off the fast boot like recommended.

Just now, kola1 said:

I never new Win 10 goes into a quasi-hybernate mode at shutdowns

Windows has done that since Windows 8. I shut it off on all computers I touch.

5 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Windows has done that since Windows 8. I shut it off on all computers I touch.

Geez. I've must of just never paid attention to the option since it was grayed out. Thanks again.

I may have spoken too soon. The error message still keeps popping up. I'm going to uninstall MBAM using Revo and the official removal utility, then reinstall it again. Hope this time it fixes it.

I got it loaded it again. So far no error message, but I guess it's too early to tell yet. One thing I noticed is that MBAM doesn't register for some reason with Windows Security and therefore doesn't disable the default Win 10 Defender. I tried toggling the Windows Security Setting ON and OFF, but it has no effect :(

24 minutes ago, kola1 said:

I got it loaded it again. So far no error message, but I guess it's too early to tell yet. One thing I noticed is that MBAM doesn't register for some reason with Windows Security and therefore doesn't disable the default Win 10 Defender. I tried toggling the Windows Security Setting ON and OFF, but it has no effect :(

If you get me a new set of logs from the my first post I will look it over.

25 minutes ago, kola1 said:

One thing I noticed is that MBAM doesn't register for some reason with Windows Security and therefore doesn't disable the default Win 10 Defender.

You do not want it to register so you will also have the benefit of Defender as well.

Just now, AdvancedSetup said:

It is a slow process when toggled. It is not instantaneous in most cases

Keep us posted if you do continue to have issues

Unfortunately the message keeps showing up again. It seem that MBAM has no issues right at boot up, but then about 20-30 minutes later upon launching the program or trying to update it, then I get the message. I've attached the logs from the support utility. I haven't looked through them too much. Hopefully there isn't anything too personal or private in them.

mbst-grab-results.zip

8 minutes ago, Porthos said:

If you get me a new set of logs from the my first post I will look it over.

You do not want it to register so you will also have the benefit of Defender as well.

Here are the logs. Thanks.

mbst-grab-results.zip

8 minutes ago, kola1 said:

I haven't looked through them too much. Hopefully there isn't anything too personal or private in them.

In this section only authorized people can access them.

Your missing part of the log so we will get the files now.

Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to your desktop.

Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system.
You can check here if you're not sure if your computer is 32-bit or 64-bit

• Double-click to run it. When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
  • Press the Scan button.
  • It will make a log (FRST.txt) in the same directory the tool is run. Please attach it to your reply.
  • The first time the tool is run, it also makes another log (Addition.txt). Please attach it to your reply as well.

Thank you

11 minutes ago, Porthos said:

• Press the Scan button.
  • It will make a log (FRST.txt) in the same directory the tool is run. Please attach it to your reply.
  • The first time the tool is run, it also makes another log (Addition.txt). Please attach it to your reply as well.

Thank you

Here you go. Hope this helps. Thanks.

logs.zip

16 minutes ago, Porthos said:

• Press the Scan button.

Thank you

Also, here's a log that the removal tool spit out after it got done uninstalling.

mbst-clean-results.txt

MBAM stops updating when I get the license error message. Toggling the WiFi OFF and ON seems to get rid of the message temporarily. The odd thing is that I don't have any issues with internet connectivity with any other programs on the same machine or any of the devices in the house. Is there a specific license domain that it's trying to reach? Can I try to resolve or ping it?

I now vaguely remember getting the exact error message when I first installed MBAM and it asked me to activate the license during the install wizard. It just wouldn't let MBAM activate. I remember activating the program as a free trial and then entering my license after I was able to fully launch the program.

Maybe there is an issue with my license. I've had problems in the past where my licenses stopped working because I haven't used them in a while, but the support team was great at straightening that out for me.

If you haven't done so already, I'd highly recommend signing up for an account at My.Malwarebytes.com where you'll be able to log in and check the status of your licenses as well as deactivate your licenses/devices as well as look up your license info if you ever lost it.  Details on doing so may be found in this support article.  Be sure to use the same email you used when you purchased your license for Malwarebytes if possible, otherwise refer to the information in this support article as well as this support article on manually adding your license key to your account as well as changing the email address associated with your account.

I hope this helps.

The computer is experiencing some type of general networking issue. I'm officially off work until Monday but I will review the logs further tomorrow and try to provide further assistance in correcting the issue.

Thank you

Sure, I just saw it mentioned that there had been issues with the license in the past where Support was needed and using My.Malwarebytes.com is a good idea since it allows the user to deactivate/reset their own license for cases where it can't activate due to still showing up as active on a previous install/system etc.

4 hours ago, kola1 said:

Maybe there is an issue with my license. I've had problems in the past where my licenses stopped working because I haven't used them in a while, but the support team was great at straightening that out for me.

10 hours ago, exile360 said:

If you haven't done so already, I'd highly recommend signing up for an account at My.Malwarebytes.com where you'll be able to log in and check the status of your licenses as well as deactivate your licenses/devices as well as look up your license info if you ever lost it.  Details on doing so may be found in this support article.  Be sure to use the same email you used when you purchased your license for Malwarebytes if possible, otherwise refer to the information in this support article as well as this support article on manually adding your license key to your account as well as changing the email address associated with your account.

I hope this helps.

Yep, I've done that a while ago. Much easier to see and manage all of my licenses than using a text file that I made in notepad.