I am trying to update my windows 10 system. The updater version is 1.4.9200.23072. It is marked as a Microsoft copyright. Size is 1.86 MB.

When running this, MalwareBytes reports it as being "Ransomware" and blocks the update. Is this a known problemtic version of win10 or MalwareBytes?

Thanks

Chris

Hi.    :welcome:

Is this all about a attempted run of the Microsoft Windows 10 Upgrade advisor ?

and more specifically,  did you see a message prompt "warning" by the Malwarebytes for Windows ?

Would you please get & run the Support tool   by doing the section "Advanced  >>> Gather logs"  & attach the ZIP file

https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/articles/360039023453-Upload-Malwarebytes-Support-Tool-logs-offline

Hi.  Just simply attach the ZIP report-file  at the time you are writing your reply on this forum.

• To upload    attachments please click the link as shown below. Then browse to where your file is located and select it and click the Open button.

_mb_attach.jpg

On 7/4/2020 at 5:33 PM, Maurice Naggar said:

Hi.  Just simply attach the ZIP report-file  at the time you are writing your reply on this forum.

• To upload    attachments please click the link as shown below. Then browse to where your file is located and select it and click the Open button.

_mb_attach.jpg

Who get's to see the contents of the zip file when I do this? I don't know how much PII data might be in the file.

There is no PII  in the report file. 

No outsiders  / no others  can have access to attached files in this section of the forum.

But you can send me the file by personal message if you wish.   The report is needed in order to go forward.

On 7/4/2020 at 5:33 PM, Maurice Naggar said:

_mb_attach.jpg

Who get's to see the contents of the zip file when I do this? I don't know how much PII data might be in the file.

mbst-grab-results.zip

Thank you for the ZIP file report.

Malwarebytes quarantine is empty.   Thus, the upgrade assistant was not removed to quarantine.  However, it was tagged on June 30 falsely as a Malware.Ransom.Agent.Generic.

Lets take things a bit at a time.   The first thing I would like us to do is to get the very latest release for Malwarebytes for Windows.

First, close as many open windows that you have open that you do not need.  Or else, minimize as many as you can such that you have a clear view all around on your monitor.

Start Malwarebytes.  Click the Settings ( gear ) icon.   Then look on the General tab.

Then click on the "Check for Updates"  button.

Have lots of patience.  Follow all prompts.

After it is all done, I need for you to go back into Malwarebytes.   and look on the ABOUT tab.

Tell me what Version it shows  & what Component it shows.

Look to see if they are the same as in this picture.

MB4_about_10976_41273.jpg.739b75f2c75e79ea1063f8a9b877be0b.jpg

That is exactly the version that I have (except that it is updater package version 1.0.26563), but it autoupdated this morning, so that probably was not the version that is in the logs.

The main thing is the Version and the Component.   The updater version relates to the periodic definitions updates.

I am glad that your Malwarebytes is now at the current release.  I wanted to be real sure that the Version is 4.1.2.73

Could you now take a peek at the current Version and build number  for this Windows operating system.

Press & hold the Windows-key on the keyboard  & then tap the key so that you get the RUN box

Then type in

winver

Then kindly get me a screen-image grab

Use the ALT-key  + the Print-screen key  ( prt sc )

Use the following how-to article  ( "take a Screenshot on Windows" )
https://lifehacker.com/how-to-take-a-screenshot-or-picture-of-whats-on-your-co-5825771

Thank you.  Next step is to get the latest Microsoft Service Stack Update for this specific build of yours on this particular 64-bit Intel machine.

First, clear the decks so that you have a clear view all around.  Close windows-apps that you do not need to be open.

Next, download and save this file from the Microsoft Update Catalog.  Save it to either the Downloads folder or the Desktop, or a specific folder  ( other than a temporary one).

http://download.windowsupdate.com/c/msdownload/update/software/secu/2020/06/windows10.0-kb4560959-x64_fa9ef89ecea4001891b24f103689cff8ae87d2f1.msu

Then go to that folder.  Do a right-click on the MSU file   and select OPEN

and let it proceed forward.

Let me know after it has completed.

You should then see  the Winver to reflect  build 18362.904

Keep me advised.   I will guide you after.

Also, keep in mind that the Windows 10 build for the latest ( 19041.329 )   is optional  / not mandatory for you at this time.

Allright.  Here are tips about how to go about the Windows build upgrade.

First though, be aware that Microsoft has a hold on certain system configurations,  and that there are a set of known issues.

Microsoft has a list of Known and resolved issues related to the Window 10 build  known as 2004  ( May 2020 ).

The link below is to the Microsoft site.  The article lists issues under investigation, as well as those that have been resolved.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/release-information/status-windows-10-2004

Be sure to review that.

If you have offline backup media  ( such as a large USB external device) do consider making a backup of your system.

https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/136226-backup-software/

For the upgrade run itself, you want to bracket it by doing one windows Restart at the beginning + 1 at the very end when it has successfully finished.

1.  Be sure to remove any USB drives, CD, DVD devices plugged in ( if any ).  Also disconnect printers, fax machines, copiers, etc  ( if any).

2.  Restart Windows.   That way it is a fresh start  ( fresh slate session).

3. Go to this Microsoft link and do a fresh download and be sure to SAVE the file to a known folder on your machine.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

You want to click the button at the top marked "Update now"

It will download a file named Windows10Upgrade9252.exe .    The file size is 5.96 MB

4.  Close the web browser after the download is all completed.   Do not use the system for any other purpose.

Go to the location of where you saved the file with Windows File Explorer.

Right-click the exe file and select Run as Administrator  and reply YES & allow it to proceed.

Follow all prompts.   Keep monitoring the process.

If you would like a bit more description of the processes see this article at Tenforums

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/81031-update-latest-version-windows-10-using-update-assistant.html

Have infinite patience.  Keep monitoring the progress.

If the monitor screen goes all dark, it is likely due to power saving option setting.  Just move the mouse pointer around in circular motions & eventually the screen will refresh and show.

Keep watching from time to time.   You want to watch for any login prompt near the end of the run.

When you see that, you want to login into Windows with your regular login.

( That is bullet point 12 in the Tenforums article).

5.  When all done, do one final Windows Restart.

Be patient until the system reloads / restarts and then settles in.

NOTES:  If the upgrade run fails for some reason, there should be a on-screen message.  Be real sure to write that down on paper.

Also note, that after the upgrade has been done, there is a period of a few days whereby, if absolutely needed, there is an option available to go back to the older Windows build  ......so you want to monitor your system for the initial days after the upgrade.

Note:  As far as the Malwarebytes program is involved, normally there is nothing extra special to do.  Other than to insure it stays up-to-date.

BUT if there are issues, be sure you let me know right away.

and also keep this article link as one resource, since some system configurations can encounter issues

https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/articles/360050123454-Performance-issue-on-devices-running-Windows-10-version-2004-and-Malwarebytes-for-Windows

And just by the way, if you do encounter an issue, let me know that first right away.   Just do not uninstall Malwarebytes without checking with me first.

There are measures / adjustments  we can take as needed.

Please keep me advised.

Sincerely,

Maurice

Glad we could help.

If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this topic with your request.

This applies only to the originator of this thread. Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread.

Please review the following for Tips to help protect from infection

Thank you