Malwarebytes rebooted my PC after I explictly clicked not to

After downloading CU 1.0.967, app version 4.1.2.73, malwarebytes began giving me the "reboot now" popup. I clicked "later" and went about my work.
An hour later, my PC rebooted anyway, causing me to lose several house of work. If there was a second popup, it was hidden behind a fullscreen app and I never clicked the "restart" button regardless, so it should not do this. never, ever, ever reboot a users computer without their consent. It's bad enough Microsoft does this.

To make matters worse, the reboot hung at the "restarting" screen and I had to pull the plug to shut it off.

40 minutes ago, DarthVitrial said:

After downloading CU 1.0.967, app version 4.1.2.73, malwarebytes began giving me the "reboot now" popup.

The warning I had was just Malwarebytes needed to restart not the computer.

2 minutes ago, DarthVitrial said:

Odd. Malwarebytes was the only thing that prompted to restart, and no other updates outside of Malwarebytes had been downloaded.

Got to read it carefully. Even screenshot it the next time to report.

Hm. Well, if malwarebytes wasn't wanting to reboot, that raises the question of what restarted my PC.
Could have sworn the message was asking to reboot, too. If it happens again I'll grab a screenshot.

It may have been; I know I've seen this in the past with some builds, though I don't believe the most recent CU typically required a restart.  It's quite possible that one or more files replaced by the CU were locked, preventing them from being replaced without a system restart.

It is also possible that the Malwarebytes update/notification somewhat coincided with a pending Windows Update, assuming automatic updates are active.  MS doesn't give the option of putting off a reboot indefinitely any more the way they did in past Windows versions.

Either way, I'll be submitting your feedback to the Product team in case they aren't providing a means of opting out of a system restart.

4 hours ago, Porthos said:

The warning I had was just Malwarebytes needed to restart not the computer.

I also got the same warning that Malwarebytes would restart in 30 seconds and I just let it count down and then the component update took place after about a minute. I will add though in some previous beta updates that the update installed and I was asked to reboot. I agree with exile360 that there may have been a file that was locked that forced the rebooting the OS. However this time there was no reboot on my OS Windows Pro 1904. 

• Staff

Thank you for the additional detail provided on the issue. Based on the logs provided, I can confirm the reboot was triggered by Malwarebytes.
Clicking "Later" to the notification should not result in the machine being rebooted. We have a defect filed and will be investigating this further.

For reference, this is the notification being referred to:
image.png.0064d6676f330594a356acf4105d4b68.png