SamuelSmith

Constant False Positive for Steam games

Recently I've got back into playing games on my Steam profile, mainly games like Team Fortress 2 & Garry's Mod.

Issue is that every time I start it up, it constantly gives me loads and loads of outbound connection "web blocks" but I'm simply sitting in the main menu so I doubt I went into a bad server, had a friend help me out, told me to put the file in question /garrymod/hl2.exe in the allow list as an example but next time I ran the game it carried on. 

In the end I turned the web protection off which seemed to stop it spamming, if there is a better solution I'd like to know.  As far as I know it's only been on those 2 games but I'll give it a try more on other games to see if I get anymore pop ups

But I'm just questioning if people also had the same thing happen to them when they play steam games as well and if they have a better solution.

Hello,

Yes this has been reported before but usually there are IP addresses involved that do have malware on them. If they are no longer a threat, we can remove said block. Can you post your Malwarebytes log or a screenshot which shows the detection(s) you are seeing? 

Thanks

14 hours ago, thisisu said:

Hello,

Yes this has been reported before but usually there are IP addresses involved that do have malware on them. If they are no longer a threat, we can remove said block. Can you post your Malwarebytes log or a screenshot which shows the detection(s) you are seeing? 

Thanks

Afternoon, There's a bit TOO many to show but here's the list of the IP's in the attactment as well as one detailed look as well as the log.

Hope this helps.

download.png

List of IP's.png

MBAMSERVICE.LOG.zip

All 3 IP blocks from your screenshot are being removed:

Let me know if I missed any.

Regards

1 minute ago, thisisu said:

All 3 IP blocks from your screenshot are being removed:

Let me know if I missed any.

Regards

Thank you! have a nice weekend.

Just now, SamuelSmith said:

Thank you! have a nice weekend.

Thanks! You too!

21 hours ago, SamuelSmith said:

But I'm just questioning if people also had the same thing happen to them when they play steam games as well and if they have a better solution.

Steam and other games use p2p technologies to run the game.

Such connections are not a threat however, and you may exclude the Steam game exe from the Web Protection component in Malwarebytes to stop the blocks from happening without compromising your protection (your web browser and other critical web facing programs will still be fully protected from malicious websites and other malicious content).  To do so, add the Steam game exe your exclusions using the method described under the Exclude an Application that Connects to the Internet section of this support article.