Elena_Nov

Malwarebytes has blocked Word; exclusion and restart don't help

Hi, please help me with the following issue:

Malwarebytes just blocked Microsoft Word on my PC. 

-Ransomware Details-
File: 1
Malware.Ransom.Agent.Generic, C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14\WINWORD.EXE, Blocked, 0, 392685, 0.0.0

I get the following message when I click on the Word icon:
C:\Program Files(x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14\WINWORD.EXE is not a valid Win32 application.

I've checked Excel - it works. 

The blocked WINWORD.EXE does not show up in quarantine, only in History, so I can't restore it.

I added WINWORD.EXE and Microsoft Office folder to my list of exclusions, disabled Ransomware Protection and restarted my computer, but it didn't help.

I've also run Malwarebytes Support Tool, so here is the mbst-grab-results.zip attached. ARW.zip is also attached in case you need it.

Can someone please help?

mbst-grab-results.zip ARW.zip

Greetings,

Does it help if you disable Exploit Protection?  Please test and let us know.

Thanks

Hi exile360,

No, disabling Exploit Protection doesn't help.

I still get this message when I click on the Word icon:
C:\Program Files(x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14\WINWORD.EXE is not a valid Win32 application.

OK, and you mentioned previously that disabling Ransomware Protection didn't help either, correct?  Did you restart the system after disabling Ransomware Protection and then test it?  If not, please do so and let us know how it goes.

In the meantime I'll request that the forum moderators move this thread to the false positives section so that Research may address the FP.

Yes, I restarted my PC after disabling Ransomware Protection and it didn't help either.

OK, so what happens if you disable all 4 protection components and then restart your system so that Malwarebytes starts with all protection disabled?  Is the application still blocked then?

I tried disabling all 4 protection components and then restarting my system. The application is still blocked.

Thank you, and if you right-click the Malwarebytes tray icon and select Quit Malwarebytes, the application runs normally, correct?

If I I quit Malwarebytes, the application is still blocked. I still get the message:

I see, then something else must be blocking it, not Malwarebytes.  When you quit Malwarebytes from the tray it removes all of its protection drivers and processes from memory.  Does anything show up in Malwarebytes' quarantine?  It may be that it removed one of the files needed for Word to run, otherwise it could be that something else is preventing Word from functioning.

4 hours ago, Elena_Nov said:

Can someone please help?

In Control Panel > Programs and Features, click on the Office 2010 item and click the Change button. In the dialog, select Repair and click Continue. Wait for it to finish, and try Word again.
I am also concerned about the validity of a Microsoft program on your computer.

Task: C:\Windows\Tasks\AutoKMS.job => C:\Windows\AutoKMS\AutoKMS.exe

Ah, KMS could explain why Malwarebytes might block/quarantine one or more components of the installation as well.  Nice catch Porthos.

We're glad to hear it, if you run into any further issues please let us know.

Thanks