Malwarebytes & other program troubles

Hello! I have been trying to fix my problems all day with out much success. After alot of reading and trying various solutions from the net I felt your forum would be the best place to get the help I need.

I am running Vista Home Premium.

I was able to download Malwarebytes today and it updated. I started the quick scan, the elapsed time counter goes to 1 and then the program disappears. There is no evidence of it running after that. Then when I try to start the program again, I get " Windows can not access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item" Several times I have uninstalled/reinstalled the program. I have tried re-naming it, but the same thing happens. I tried starting the program with a right click and "run as administrator" no luck.

Other issues I am having are.... some google search results are redirected, windows updates won't let me install SP2. After Malwarebytes wouldn't run, I tried downloading 3 other anti-malware programs. It looked as if they downloaded, but when I went to the folder they were not there. I searched my computer and they were not found. At the end of the download it had a pop-up that said something about copying the files. I can't recall all that it said but it seemed like a step that didn't normally happen when I download something. I have AVG antivirus and it did not find any problems. I set the exceptions for the 3 malwarebytes .exe files in AVG and tried to scan again, but the same thing as mentioned above happened. I also downloaded Hijack This. It downloaded fine, but then when I went to run it, it started and disappeared. When I tried to start it again, i got the message "Windows can not access the specified device..." I tried to unistall Hijack This and it would not allow me to do that.

I'm sure I have forgot to mention some of the things I have tried today, but hopefully that is enough info to give you an idea of what I am dealing with. I look forward to you reply.

Sounds like a rootkit to me.

Please follow these instructions (skipping any steps you are unable to complete) for posting in our Malware Removal - HijackThis Logs forum. If you cannot follow any of those steps, then please create a new topic in that forum explaining what happened when you tried to run each of the tools in the instructions, and the expert who helps you will be able to suggest steps to take to get the tools working.

Sounds like a rootkit to me.

Please follow these instructions (skipping any steps you are unable to complete) for posting in our Malware Removal - HijackThis Logs forum. If you cannot follow any of those steps, then please create a new topic in that forum explaining what happened when you tried to run each of the tools in the instructions, and the expert who helps you will be able to suggest steps to take to get the tools working.

Thanks for the quick reply and sorry for posting in the wrong forum. I will give it a go tomorrow after i get some much needed rest.