steppenomad

Malwarebytes wants to remove system32?

Hey, all

My mother ran a malwarebytes scan and it quarantined system32. She restarted to remove quarantined items, and windows wouldn't restart properly. I'm currently in the process of resetting windows for her. Is there any reason why malwarebytes might quarantine system32? Could malware hide in it?

Hi,  
My name is Maurice. I will be helping and guiding you, going forward on this case.
Let me know what first name you prefer to go by.

Would you fill us in as to whether or not Windows can be started in normal mode ?  in Safe mode?

It would be most helpful if we could manage to get some history and log reports from Malwarebytes.

Malwarebytes for Windows has integrity checks so that it does not remove critical system files.

p.s.  @steppenomad    

Is your Mom's machine a Windows system ?   or, is this on some "mobile" Android device ?     ?

35 minutes ago, Maurice Naggar said:

Hi,  
My name is Maurice. I will be helping and guiding you, going forward on this case.
Let me know what first name you prefer to go by.

Would you fill us in as to whether or not Windows can be started in normal mode ?  in Safe mode?

It would be most helpful if we could manage to get some history and log reports from Malwarebytes.

Malwarebytes for Windows has integrity checks so that it does not remove critical system files.

Hey, Maurice. Just call me Rob.

It's a windows 8 device. It would not restart at all. The device kept trying to load the login screen past the lock page, but then would throw me back to the lock page. I am currently resetting windows. It's reinstalling all files.

My main concern is that this was something serious. Why would malwarebytes quarantine system32?

Hi Rob.

Sorry for all the trouble encountered.

I cant answer that question  since no history logs are submitted. 

From what you say, you are in the process of re-installing Windows.    Meaning that that is already underway.

When the system is back,  could you just take a few minutes and lets have you try to run the Support tool report.

https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/articles/360039023453-Upload-Malwarebytes-Support-Tool-logs-offline

Due to the lack of feedback, this topic is closed to prevent others from posting here.

If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this topic with your request.

This applies only to the originator of this topic. Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread.

Tips to help protect from infection

Thanks