Windows 10 fails to start and unable to repair itself

Newfie here. Have a support ticket open reporting BSOD after installing MWB PC now stuck in an automatic repair loop. Option 4 (safe mode) does not respond and it loops back to 'cannot repair PC' so my final option is to remove MWB using the command prompt option. I need clear instructions using the command prompt to remove the program, any link/ instructions welcome please ?

I am in need of urgent PC support please after installing MWB. I have an open support ticket but no resolution offered yet although it may be a known Windows 10 error. PC will not start, W10 try’s to automatically resolve startup problems and then goes into diagnostic mode with a number of options laid out on a blue screen..Troubleshooting does not respond to the safe mode restart options 4 and option 6 (with command prompt), w10 just loops defaulting every time to ‘Preparing Automatic Repair and then Diagnosing your PC and then it returns to the blue screen again Automatic Repair reporting Your PC did not start correctly., offering me the restart or advanced options again.

I can select the command prompt option but i do not know how to uninstall MWB via DOS. Clear instructions needed, help appreciated please.

Hello Dave.

I regret the trouble you have encountered.   This sort of situation requires lots of patience.   No rushing about.

Do you have another working Windows pc that you could use to do a download or two ?

Do you have a known clean or new USB-flash-thumb-drive ?

Malwarebytes for Windows cannot be "uninstalled"  thru a "command prompt window"..

I am sorry to see that you had had troubles with Advanced Boot options.   Those can be a booger to navigate to the proper section.

Q:  Did you mean that you actually "did" get to a Command prompt "?    That could be useful for limited purposes.

Q: About your Support ticket.  When exactly did you initiate the ticket ?

and, beyond the first automated reply by the automated system ....have you had a reply from an actual Support person ?

Q:  When was the last day that Windows was working well?

Reminder,  utmost patience is needed.

Sincerely.

Hi Maurice,

thank you for your response

Did you mean that you actually "did" get to a Command prompt "?    That could be useful for limited purposes. YES it is an option and I can use the command prompt editor window.

Q: About your Support ticket.  When exactly did you initiate the ticket ?

YES On  16th June and a reply on 18th June Dvising removal using safe boot which is not an option that works.

and, beyond the first automated reply by the automated system ....have you had a reply from an actual Support person ?

Q:  When was the last day that Windows was working well?

On the 16th June.

I really hesitate to get involved since your ticket is in-progress.

It seems that you could not get the system into safe mode.    right ?

However,  you can get it to a Command prompt.   By the way, the Command prompt has its limitations.   and I would not call it a "editor".

Do you have another working Windows pc that you could use to do a download or two ?

Do you have a known clean or new USB-flash-thumb-drive ?

Yes I am happy to wait until the support team deliver a solution and also happy to shar3 my findings once the problem has been resolved. I need to be patient, it seems I am waiting a long time for a response But actually only 2 W days have elapsed.

For contingency I am always interested in expert opinions/advice and alternative approaches.

In addition I do have an old windows 7 laptop, very slow, but I could get it working again and of course I can buy a flash drive with sufficient capacity if you let me know the spec and procedure you have in mind etc

Yes sorry the PC will not respond to the ‘safe mode’ troubleshooting option, it just reverts to Automatic Repair/Diagnosing your PC/ Attemptingbrepairs and then Your PC will not repair with another reset option. Very frustrating !

So you have a Windows 7 machine that could be used in a pinch, to do some special things.

If you do not have a USB-flash-thumb-drive  now,  I would suggest you look to getting one with at lease 8 GB storage capacity.

The long term aim would be to use that USB in making a special USB with the Microsoft Media Creation tool.    ( in a bad pinch such as this situation,  it could be used  to help get the Windows 10 machine into Safe mode).

Once you have the USB-thumb-drive  & as long as this case is open,  I can then guide you to a special procedure.

Meantime,  Can you get this machine restarted back into the "Command prompt "?

when you have it there, let me know   /  and keep it there until I reply

ahhh   the machine is in a actual recovery  environment.

We need to get your machine  pointed at the actual Windows drive

So you need to type in each of these command lines   at tap Enter-key at each

C:

cd \windows\system32

and then,  do the command lines i listed before

IF the WMIC lines do not succeed....just double-checking all spelling and space characters that are there in mine

and try once more

Otherwise,  keep going down the list.

Lets skip that.   Do the other lines I had listed.   the 2nd one  & the 3rd one.    ( the 4th will likely also fail)

The 2nd & 3rd commands are meant to insure there is a enhanced advanced boot options available.

It is your decision, but if you wish,  I can guide you to doing a Windows System restore to a earlier date.    If that is what you may want to try.

Edited by Maurice Naggar

Yes 2nd & 3rd commands re meant to insure there is a enhanced advanced boot options available worked, 4th line failed.

i am nervous about restoring from a previous backup because many recent backups reported failure and I never investigated why !

is there a next step from the command prompt ?

image.jpg

The Windows Restore "can" be started from a command prompt  and that is what I had in mind for you to consider.    using the current Command prompt.

I believe you had said that on 16th June Windows was working well.   So that can be selected   ....to go back to.

and before we do that,  we can do a couple of system checks.    Starting  with the  System File Checker tool.

Tap ENTER-key after each line   ( just like previously)

sfc /scannow

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth

This here is to invoke the Windows System restore from the command prompt.   You will just review what Dates are available to go back to.   Pick the one you want.

rstrui.exe

When it has succeeded, you will know and it actually should auto-start Windows.

If on the other hand it does not succeed,  it will show appropriate messages.

Keep me advised.

Thanks Maurice, really appreciate your support, Yes I will try that again in the morning (12pm here). For clarification are the previous commands in lines 2 and 3 a prerequisite for the recovery procedure. i.e can I shut my PC down and start out fresh 2moro ?

They are not prerequisite.  Those are 3 system checks.   Just to check & see.

The last one is the Restore begining    ( to begin that applet  & it will show you the dialog window & options)

I would suggest you simply just leave the machine where it is  ....so that you wont need to go thru all the procedures.

Let it sit just as is.   You can then do your stuff next day.    No rush.   no need to fret.

Next step Run rstrui.exe was OK it found my restore point 6/16/2020 and recovered my system to that RP.

see images below:

After the restore appeared to complete successfully the Restart repeated the same original problem and I have tried all troubleshooting options and I cannot escape the automatic repair / failed to start loop. Back to square 1 ?

A5954AD1-7108-47A1-A5E1-A36A7268A513.jpeg

B415A7EE-9054-486F-AE30-1C61BA413448.jpeg

ABE9C939-C2A4-4300-B1D7-C48E623A2248.jpeg

28593D35-C2FC-433C-A104-B8735030FD5E.jpeg

AFA1AC86-C3A8-4379-AAA4-8ECA25FD5A8B.jpeg

Very sorry to read about the System Restore fail.   I strongly urge you to get a USB-thumb-flash drive  for the purpose of making a special USB.

It needs to be at least 8 GB capacity.

Then you will need to make use of the machine running Windows 7  ....which you had said could be used.

On that machine  & with that USB  ....I would like you to make a special boot-up USB  just for the purpose of getting to a point where the USB will get to a point to display a Advanced BOOT Menu.

See   https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/15088/windows-10-create-installation-media

You want to follow the directions under the section "Windows 10"  and ...

follow the section "Create Windows 10 installation media"   >  Download  Tool now

You need to save the download first.   Then follow all prompts to make the USB

You are making "for another computer"   ( for the problem-machine-with Windows 10)

so you want to follow the 2nd section titled  "Using the tool to create installation media"

Remember, this will be used as a "rescue / repair / boot up " tool.    not to do a "install" 

Let me know after you have mad this USB.

Added tips:

Do unplug all devices from your computer, including: Printers, scanners, copiers,  fax machine, external attached devices, etc.* 
*The only devices you should leave attached to your computer are your monitor, mouse and keyboard, if the computer is a desktop.* 
*And if this PC is a laptop or notebook be sure it is directly connected to Power with power cord.* 

I noticed that the System Restore choices only listed one restore point.   I cannot read the Date of that  (  from the image provide).

As to the point where the system gets to "Windows Boot Manager"  and shows "Windows 10:  on the screen like this

FOURTH.jpeg.cdd00bc3bc3cfb678040d6fc9675b908.jpeg

As soon as that screen shows up....you want to have your finger ready by the F8  function key  on the keyboard

right away, tap & retap the F8 Function-key on your keyboard.  
You should see Windows Advanced Options menu.    With a list that is numbered.   Use the number key at the top of keyboard
Select    "Safe Mode with Networking "

NOTE: if the F8 function key-method did not prove usable, some systems may use F5 instead.  
And on some systems you may need to press the F2 function key to get hardware boot options. 

Then let me know when you get it there. 

12 minutes ago, Maurice Naggar said:

Added tips:

Do unplug all devices from your computer, including: Printers, scanners, copiers,  fax machine, external attached devices, etc.* 
*The only devices you should leave attached to your computer are your monitor, mouse and keyboard, if the computer is a desktop.* 
*And if this PC is a laptop or notebook be sure it is directly connected to Power with power cord.* 

I noticed that the System Restore choices only listed one restore point.   I cannot read the Date of that  (  from the image provide).

As to the point where the system gets to "Windows Boot Manager"  and shows "Windows 10:  on the screen like this

As soon as that screen shows up....you want to have your finger ready by the F8  function key  on the keyboard

You should see Windows Advanced Options menu.    With a list that is numbered.   Use the number key at the top of keyboard

NOTE: if the F8 function key-method did not prove usable, some systems may use F5 instead.  
And on some systems you may need to press the F2 function key to get hardware boot options. 

12 minutes ago, Maurice Naggar said:

Added tips:

Ok understood will do. I now have the usb so should be able to report back this afternoon. The restore Point date was 6/16/20 at 1:30 am