Rivrwing

Mwac.sys BSOD requires version rollback, need to find version location?

Previously: Endless frustration with prior mwac.sys BSOD issues was resolved with: May 29 - version 4.1.0.56 - component update 1.0.931

New:  Some earlier BSOD issues returned when the latest version auto installed: June 16 - version 4.1.0.56 - component update 1.0.955

Note:  The May 1.0.931 release notes mention a fix for “MWAC interferes with Wake-on-LAN / Logitech flow.”.  I believe this was an issue both previously and now with this new version.  (My last two mwac.sys crashes occurred with Logitech related attempt to wake on lan.)

Bottom line: I simply have no time to troubleshoot.  The easy fix seems to clean up using the Malwarebytes support tool, and then install last months build which worked great (version 4.1.0.56 - component update 1.0.931), and then disable auto updates.

Help needed:   Anybody know where I can find and download version 4.1.0.56 - component update 1.0.931 in order to accomplish this?

Thanks in Advance!

***This is an automated reply***

Hi,

Thanks for posting in the Malwarebytes for Windows Help forum.

If you are having technical issues with our Windows product, please do the following:

Malwarebytes Support Tool - Advanced Options

This feature is designed for the following reasons:

• For use when you are on the forums and need to provide logs for assistance
  • For use when you don't need or want to create a ticket with Malwarebytes
  • For use when you want to perform local troubleshooting on your own

How to use the Advanced Options:

Spoiler
  1. Download Malwarebytes Support Tool
  2. Double-click mb-support-X.X.X.XXXX.exe to run the program
    • You may be prompted by User Account Control (UAC) to allow changes to be made to your computer. Click Yes to consent.
  3. Place a checkmark next to Accept License Agreement and click Next
  4. Navigate to the Advanced tab
  5. The Advanced menu page contains four categories:
    • Gather Logs: Collects troubleshooting information from the computer. As part of this process, Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST) is run to perform a complete diagnosis. The information is saved to a file on the Desktop named mbst-grab-results.zip and can be added as an email attachment or uploaded to a forum post to assist with troubleshooting the issue at hand.
    • Clean: Performs an automated uninstallation of all Malwarebytes products installed to the computer and prompts to install the latest version of Malwarebytes for Windows afterwards. The Premium license key is backed up and reinstated. All user configurations and other data are removed. This process requires a reboot.
    •  Repair System: Includes various system-related repairs in case a Windows service is not functioning correctly that Malwarebytes for Windows is dependent on. It is not recommended to use any Repair System options unless instructed by a Malwarebytes Support agent.
    • Anonymously help the community by providing usage and threat statistics: Unchecking this option will prevent Malwarebytes Support Tool from sending anonymous telemetry data on usage of the program.
  6. To provide logs for review click the Gather Logs button
  7. Upon completion, click OK
  8. A file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your Desktop
  9. Please attach the file in your next reply.
  10. To uninstall all Malwarebytes Products, click the Clean button.
  11. Click the Yes button to proceed. 
  12. Save all your work and click OK when you are ready to reboot.
  13. After the reboot, you will have the option to re-install the latest version of Malwarebytes for Windows.
  14. Select Yes to install Malwarebytes.
  15. Malwarebytes for Windows will open once the installation completes successfully.

Screenshots:

Spoiler

Spoiler

01.png

02.png

03.png

04.png

05.png

06.png

If you are having licensing issues, please do the following: 

Spoiler

For any of these issues:

• Renewals
  • Refunds (including double billing)
  • Cancellations
  • Update Billing Info
  • Multiple Transactions
  • Consumer Purchases
  • Transaction Receipt

Please contact our support team at https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/requests/new to get help

If you need help looking up your license details, please head here: Find my premium license key

Thanks in advance for your patience.

-The Malwarebytes Forum Team

Greetings,

Did you already attempt a clean install of the latest version to ensure that it wasn't just an issue upgrading which might have caused a failure to replace one or more affected files?  If not, please do so, but if you did already then you might consider installing the new beta version which should resolve this issue if you wish to give it a try.  If so, please open Malwarebytes and go to settings by clicking the gear icon in the upper right then enable the option for beta updates located under the General tab.  Once that is done, go to the About tab (also under settings) and click the Check for updates link found there and allow it to install the new version.  Once it completes, restart your system and see if the issue is resolved and let us know.

If you still wish to revert to an earlier version, the last known build (prior to the beta) which was unaffected by this issue is available for download here, though I believe it is an earlier version than the build you mentioned.

If the problem persists and you do wish to troubleshoot the issue, then please do the following.  It is quite possible that there is another cause on your particular system since the issue was not resolved in the latest release as I have seen only reports of success so far from other affected users who had this issue.

1. Download and run the Malwarebytes Support Tool
  2. Accept the EULA and click Advanced tab on the left (not Start Repair)
  3. Click the Clean button, and allow it to restart your system and then reinstall Malwarebytes, either by allowing the tool to do so when it offers to on restart, or by downloading and installing the latest version from here

Please let us know how it goes and how you wish to proceed.

Thanks

Thank you exile 360.

I’ll try the clean install, and possibly the beta, not sure however how far I would want to rollback as the May build seemed really stable (wish I’d disabled auto updates).  I should note that May update I wanted to roll back to was itself a clean instal and as such I presumed the June update wouldn’t require another clean install, but let’s see.  

The Wake on Lan issue was not the only issue the May update seemed to resolve, but it appears to be one that has returned. I’ve done allot of cleanup of my system in recent weeks and I am doubtful that the issue now manifesting is related to something other than Malwarebytes.  I was BSOD free (and largely windows critical error free) for the weeks following the May update. I had the first new crash within the hour Malewarebytes updated to the June build (and a bunch of windows critical error popped up too).    

Life just prevents much troubleshooting time right now so I’ll do the clean install, re-enter all my exceptions etc, and monitor.  If that fails I’ll roll back or try beta before pursuing lengthier solutions.

Will report back when there’s any news to share. Thanks again.  

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Rivrwing said:

Previously: Endless frustration with prior mwac.sys BSOD issues was resolved with: May 29 - version 4.1.0.56 - component update 1.0.931

The offline installer is currently the above version.

Download the offline installer from : https://downloads.malwarebytes.com/file/mb4_offline

Be sure to quickly turn off updates.

2020-06-09_17h59_49.png

Edited by Porthos

39 minutes ago, Rivrwing said:

Thank you exile 360.

I’ll try the clean install, and possibly the beta, not sure however how far I would want to rollback as the May build seemed really stable (wish I’d disabled auto updates).  I should note that May update I wanted to roll back to was itself a clean instal and as such I presumed the June update wouldn’t require another clean install, but let’s see.  

The Wake on Lan issue was not the only issue the May update seemed to resolve, but it appears to be one that has returned. I’ve done allot of cleanup of my system in recent weeks and I am doubtful that the issue now manifesting is related to something other than Malwarebytes.  I was BSOD free (and largely windows critical error free) for the weeks following the May update. I had the first new crash within the hour Malewarebytes updated to the June build (and a bunch of windows critical error popped up too).    

Life just prevents much troubleshooting time right now so I’ll do the clean install, re-enter all my exceptions etc, and monitor.  If that fails I’ll roll back or try beta before pursuing lengthier solutions.

Will report back when there’s any news to share. Thanks again.  

Sure thing, take your time :)

I hope one of the above options works, and definitely review the info from Porthos above if they don't.

Clean install of the current (June) version results in the same mwac.sys BSOD issue.  My next step will be to try clean install of the May version (thank you Porthos!).  As I had smooth function with the May version previously I think that would point to possible other issues on my system that might indicate some other troubleshooting is in order.  I will still keep the Beta version in mind exile360, but as I will be travelling for a few days that option will go on hold until my machine returns to its normal operating environment.  

Thanks to you both!

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Rivrwing said:

My next step will be to try clean install of the May version (thank you Porthos!).

Be sure to get it downloaded soon before that link gets updated to a newer release version.

Edited by Porthos

Thanks again Porthos, I grabbed (and archived) the update from May 29 - version 4.1.0.56 - component update 1.0.931 that you pointed me to.  I did a clean install as well as disabled auto-updates. Although it's been less than 24 hours I believe my issues are resolved.  No more BSODs and also a noteworthy reduction in Windows "error" reports in the Event Viewer.  I will need to monitor behavior when I return from travels this week but am feeling optimistic.  I will report further here as needed but... consider no news as good news.  The question will hereafter be for me... when do dare try to update?

FYI to anyone curious: I can't specify which Malwarebytes version update began all my issues as I didn't have time for troubleshooting until May, but sometime as early as February issues started creeping in that may or may not have been related to Malwarebytes.   A crash dump file on May 6 first shows an mwac.sys issue but I'm unsure the trigger.  Malwarebytes notation on the May update solidified in my mind that one issue was about a "logitech wake on LAN issue."  It's beyond me why a subsequent update would allow such a specific issue to return, but the volume of other seemingly unrelated windows errors suggest more may have been involved.  In any case I can comfortably say with some degree of certainty at this point that the latest version of Logitech Media Server (LMS) does not play well with Malwarebytes when a mobile app calls for LMS to wake up and talk with my NAS and remote steaming devices.

Thanks again porthos and exile 360 for your responses and support!

4 minutes ago, Rivrwing said:

The question will hereafter be for me... when do dare try to update?

I would wait until the 4.1.1 is out of beta to give it another try. Might not help your specific issue though but at least you have the old installer if needed.

A member of the staff should respond to this thread to notify you once the issue has been resolved, however I'd recommend keeping an eye on the forums for news about any releases as well and check the release notes which should indicate that the issue has been fixed.  Release notes for releases are published in one of the pinned topics in this area of the forums.

6 hours ago, exile360 said:

A member of the staff should respond to this thread to notify you once the issue has been resolved, however I'd recommend keeping an eye on the forums for news about any releases as well and check the release notes which should indicate that the issue has been fixed.  Release notes for releases are published in one of the pinned topics in this area of the forums.

Of course the May update said it was already fixed??  Your point is understood.  will keep an eye out.  thank you.

8 minutes ago, Porthos said:

I remain stable on an earlier version and will update when i am certain I would have time to troubleshoot if needed.

@Rivrwing

Have you tried the current release version?

8 minutes ago, Rivrwing said:

I remain stable on an earlier version and will update when i am certain I would have time to troubleshoot if needed.

I just has noticed you were browsing your topic, Did not know if you knew about the new version or not.

Proceed when ready.