Resolving host... slow down with Chrome

Go to solution Solved by Maurice Naggar,

Thank you for the FRST reports.   I am going to mention a few things below.  Some are not related to each other, nor with the original issue of this case.

[ a ]  Some later on, down the road, check the Dell support site support.dell.com  for a possible newer BIOS for this machine, whose BIOS is A12  & date 08/28/2013.

[ b ] The Windows Update service is seemingly not running  & is reported as "unavailable".  The custom script below will help out with that.

NOTE-1:  This script will run a scan to check that all Microsoft operating system files are valid and not corrupt and attempt to correct any invalid files.

NOTE-2: As part of this fix all temporary files will be removed. If you have any open web pages that have not been bookmarked please make sure you bookmark them now as all open applications will be automatically closed. Also, make sure you know the passwords for all websites as cookies will also be removed. The use of an external password manager is highly recommended instead of using your browser to store passwords.

The following directories are emptied:

• Windows Temp
  • Users Temp folders
  • Edge, IE, FF, Chrome and Opera caches, HTML5 storages, Cookies and History
  • Recently opened files cache
  • Flash Player cache
  • Java cache
  • Steam HTML cache
  • Explorer thumbnail and icon cache
  • BITS transfer queue (qmgr*.dat files)
  • Recycle Bin

Important: items are permanently deleted. They are not moved to quarantine. If you have any questions or concerns please ask before running this fix.

The system will be rebooted after the script has run.

This custom script is for  Rplusr  only / for this machine only.

Close and save any open work files before starting this procedure. 

I am sending a    custom Fix script which is going to be used by the FRST64 tool. They will both work together as a pair.

Please RIGHT-click the (attached file named) FIXLIST and select SAVE  link AS and save it directly ( as is) to the  Downloads  folder

The tool named FRST64.exe   tool    is already on the Downloads folder
Start the Windows Explorer and then, to the Downloads folder.

RIGHT click on  FRST64    and select RUN as Administrator and allow it to proceed.  Reply YES when prompted to allow to run.
  to run the tool. If the tool warns you the version is outdated, please download and run the updated version.
IF Windows prompts you about running this, select YES to allow it to proceed.

IF you get a block message from Windows about this tool......
click line More info information on that screen
and click button Run anyway on next screen.

on the FRST window:
Click the Fix button just once, and wait.

frst-fix.jpg.f6a25291b39a03d418acc9a3b7136900.jpg

PLEASE have lots and lots of patience when this starts. You will see a green progress bar start. Lots of patience. This run here should be fairly quick.
If you receive a message that a reboot is required, please make sure you allow it to restart normally.
The tool will complete its run after restart.
When finished, the tool will make a log ( Fixlog.txt) in the same location from where it was run.

Please attach the FIXLOG.txt with your next reply later, at your next opportunity   

Please know this will do a Windows Restart.   Just let it do its thing.  

Fixlist.txt

1. I took your advice and went to support.dell.com and found an updated BIOS. I updated from A12 to A14 (July 11, 2018).

2. I ran the fix script and have attached the fix log file.

Thank you for your continued interest in improving my operating environment. 

Fixlog.txt

Hi.  A great big Hurrah / Bravo  for getting the Dell BIOS update.   That is going to be quite fruitful for your machine  & in future, your Windows Operating System.

This run was excellent.   This system is in much better shape   for Microsoft Windows Update  and 

the Windows System File Checker run found no issues.   The same with the Windows DISM app.

I would like for you to stick with this thread.   I hope to convince you to get the latest Beta for Malwarebytes for Windows.   Or else, the next one to come up, which I would hope would be in a few days from now.

You did fine.    :thumbup2:       :bounce:      :guitar:

Sincerely,

Maurice

Update: With Malwarebytes uninstalled, all browsers worked as expected. Closed browsers. I then installed Malwarebytes with beta CU 1.0.988. Opened both Chrome and Edge browsers and received the "Resolving Hosts" issue. Then re-booted with same result. Then uninstalled Malwarebytes again and re-booted.  With Malwarebytes uninstalled, all browsers worked as expected.

Looks like I will have to wait for future betas to come out that address the "Resolving Hosts" issue. Stay safe.

I see your last note.  I just only wished you would have stopped and posted here and allowed me to guide you further.

There are means to selectively turn off either or both of the Ransomware Protection & or the Web protection to Off so that it could help to alleviate things.

Granted those are not for a permanent solution.  But less drastic than a complete uninstall.    ( with the uninstall, obviously, your machine loses the real-time protection).

At minimum, you could have just kept on the Malware protection.

Q:   I do not know whether or not you are aware:   The notification area blue-icon for Malwarebytes has right-click options.

You can selectively turn off one or more of the Protections.   You could also do a EXIT out of the program  ( by clicking Quit Malwarebytes option)

Please see the Malwarebytes Support article  https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/articles/360038524254-Quit-Malwarebytes-for-Windows-Premium-services

The "right-click" options are shown on the 2nd image of that article.

One also needs to keep in mind, that those protections are typically controlled on the main window of the Malwarebytes for Windows program.

Entirely off-topic,  please make recovery media for your machine.   See https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/261912-general-notes-on-windows-recovery-media/

Fair enough. To answer your second suggestion first, yes I already have recovery media create for this machine.

If you would like me to re-install Malwarebytes, I can certainly do so, but please provide the various options you would like me to try to hopefully stop the "Resolving Host" issue, even on a temporary basis. I was aware that the blue sliders would turn of features, but not about the right-click for sub-features/processes.

I await your next recommendations. 

That is the "new" Edge.   The new Microsoft Edge is powered by the same open source technology as Google Chrome.  

[ By the way, notice the version 84.0.xxx .   84 is the latest version also for the Google Chrome. ]

Curious if this pc has some other web browser that you could possibly use for test purposes.

I am hoping that the Malwarebytes Dev internal team will have a new Beta sometime this week.

I hope at that time to guide you to a new setup with it.

I only have the two browsers (and may IE hidden somewhere). I am open to download something like Firefox, but it is not installed currently.

The day has arrived /the moment is at hand /  the newest Beta for Malwarebytes 4  has been announced & made available.

Even though your Windows version is older than what is mentioned in the post,  this newest beta should be a big plus.

See this latest announcement   https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/257042-malwarebytes-41-beta/?do=findComment&comment=1395736

You have recovery media.  You should know how to get to windows "safe" mode if it becomes needed.

I do have a link posted about ways to get to Safe mode, or even a Command prompt if needed

https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/261912-general-notes-on-windows-recovery-media/?do=findComment&comment=1395499

I would like for you to do a new install of Malwarebytes 4.   Just be sure you do not "uninstall" on your own after that.  That is to say, stop and ask me for guidance if that or any problem happens.

Please read all of this first.   If you have any question, plese Stop and ask first.

1.  Do a Windows re-START   so that machine has a fresh slate.

2   Do a new MB4 install        see ( if needed)  https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/articles/360038479134-Download-and-install-Malwarebytes-for-Windows-v4

3.  Immediately  go into MB4  and elect to get it into the Beta

Settings > General > Beta updates and then toggle the switch so the setting is enabled.

mb411_beta.jpg.06e8c8e6a1f122fc031e864e6895892c.jpg

Immediately next

4.  Manually check for updates from that same screen: Settings > General > Application Updates and then click the Check for Updates button. 

5.   An adjust for the Windows Security Center.     There is one setting in Malwarebytes that needs to be off.   So that the Microsoft Windows Defender is all enabled ( if your machine does not have a 3rd-party antivirus).   The Premium ( or trial ) protections of Malwarebytes will still be on.

Start Malwarebytes. Click Settings ( gear ) icon. Next, lets make real sure that Malwarebytes does NOT register with Windows Security Center 

Click the Security Tab. Scroll down to 

"Windows Security Center"

Click the selection to the left  for the line "Always register Malwarebytes in the Windows Security Center".

6.   On Malwarebytes, in the Settings section, click the ABOUT tab   & take a visual look at the Version & the Component  numbers.

mb41273_10990.jpg.1c38189ce97aa98a6383066e727ccb37.jpg

Close Malwarebytes when done.

In preparation, I decided pulled out my Recovery Media, but it appears to be the original Windows 8 DELL XPS 8500 Factory Image. In reading your post on the subject, it also appears that the first "preferred" method would create media for Windows 10 version 2004 versus my current version 1903. Should I update the Recovery Media to Windows 10, which version should it be, and which method should I use from your post?

https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/261912-general-notes-on-windows-recovery-media/?do=findComment&comment=1395499

MCT will currently create a USB for Windows 10 version 2004 build 19041.264 as of May 27, 2020.

You should has a USB made with the Microsoft Media Creation tool.   Regardless of the windows version currently on your machine.   The MCT-media will ( if needed ) will work with any version.

( you do not want something from the Dell Windows 8).

1. I now have new Windows 10 Recovery Media.

2. All steps to install Malwarebytes WITH Beta have been completed.

image.png.2f4cacc6e06ad0e0cf016a17d2c0dad4.png

3. All 3 browsers (Chrome, New Edge, Firefox) are not experiencing any "Resolving Host" delays. I did a clean re-boot after beta updates.

I look forward to tomorrow to see if the mysterious overnight time frame causes problems in the morning.

That is simply marvelous.   Just do keep me advised.

Just do not uninstall the program at any point without first asking for help here.

Because there are alternate ways to get things in control.   Like going into Safe mode of Windows if needed.

Like turning off the Ransomware protection IF warranted.

Like doing a "Quit Malwarebytes" off the right-click icon-taskbar to get EXIT out of the program.

Your machine now has the latest and better Beta of Malwarebytes for Windows.  It will keep providing updates as time passes.

I will keep this case open   & we will await any new Update / and or whether this component will be the Release one.

BRAVO to you.       :bounce: 

Some Great News: I believe this latest Beta has corrected the "Resolving Host" problem!

All 3 browsers came up and now work as expected without a re-boot.

Question: Is it OK to upgrade Windows 10 to version 2004 or should I wait? 

Good morning.

Ditto your good news.  My own pc is doing normal after a wake from sleep overnight.

As to upgrading to the Windows Version 2004  it is all your choice.   You need to do that sometime before next December 9th.

Yes, I believe you should do fine.   Just make real sure that you do one re-Start just prior to the update run.   That is always a good practice.

Good morning.   Just wanted to be sure you are aware that Component 1.0.990 is the release version.

If you want to opt out of future Betas, you can just click the line for Beta to off.    ( Settings >>  General tab).

Do you need anything at this point ?

Thank you for the follow-up. Things are still working as expected with no "Resolving Host" seen on any of the 3 browsers (Chrome; New Edge; Firefox).

I think we can consider this issue closed. Thanks again for your help and sticking with me through this. 🌟

• Solution

To remove the FRST  tool & its work files, do this.  Go to your Downloads folder.  Do a RIGHT-click on FRST64.exe & select RENAME & then change it to UNINSTALL.exe .
Then run that ( double click on it)  to begin the cleanup process.

Any other download file I had you save, you may delete.

Backup is your best friend.  Keep backups of your system on a regular basis to offline storage & keep those safe. https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/136226-backup-software/

It is not enough to just have a security program installed. Each pc user needs to practice daily safe computer and internet use.

Best  practices & malware prevention:
Follow best practices when browsing the Internet, especially on opening links coming from untrusted sources.
First rule of internet safety: slow down & think before you "click".
Never click links without first hovering your mouse over the link and seeing if it is going to an odd address ( one that does not fit or is odd looking or has typos).

Free games & free programs are like "candy". We do not accept them from "strangers".

Never open attachments that come with unexpected ( out of the blue ) email no matter how enticing.
Never open attachments from the email itself. Do not double click in the email. Always Save first and then scan with antivirus program.

Pay close attention when installing 3rd-party programs. It is important that you pay attention to the license agreements and installation screens when installing anything off of the Internet. If an installation screen offers you Custom or Advanced installation options, it is a good idea to select these as they will typically disclose what other 3rd party software will also be installed.
Take great care in every stage of the process and every offer screen, and make sure you know what it is you're agreeing to before you click "Next".

Use a Standard user account rather than an administrator-rights account when "surfing" the web.
See more info on Corrine's SecurityGarden Blog http://securitygarden.blogspot.com/p/blog-page_7.html
Dont remove your current login. Just use the new Standard-user-level one for everyday use while on the internet.

Keep your system and programs up to date. Several programs release security updates on a regular basis to patch vulnerabilities. Keeping your software patched up prevents attackers from being able to exploit them to drop malware.

For other added tips, read "10 easy ways to prevent malware infection"

Stay safe.  I wish you all the best.   😎

Sincerely,

Maurice

Glad we could help.

If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this topic with your request.

This applies only to the originator of this thread. Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread.

Please review the following for Tips to help protect from infection

Thank you