Resolving host... slow down with Chrome

Go to solution Solved by Maurice Naggar,

Like many users, I too am having issues with the "resolving Host" issue after the nightly scan by Malwarebytes. Since each computer is different, I have followed the directions below and attached the requested files. I look forward to your recommendations. Roman.

Hello, Welcome to Malwarebytes.
I'm nasdaq and will be helping you.

If you can please print this topic it will make it easier for you to follow the instructions and complete all of the necessary steps in the order listed.
===

Download the Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST).
Choose the 32 or 64 bit version for your system.
and save it to a folder on your computer's Desktop.
Double-click to run it. When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
Press Scan button.
It will make a log (FRST.txt) in the same directory the tool is run. Please copy and paste it to your reply.
The first time the tool is run, it makes also another log (Addition.txt). Please attach it to your reply.

How to attach a file:
In the Reply section in the bottom of the topic Select Click the Choose a File.
Navigate to the location of the File.
Click the file. It will appear in section.
Click the Saving button.

Please attach the logs for my review.

Let me know what problems persists.

Wait for further instructions
====

@hund

FRST.txt Addition.txt

Hello, Welcome to Malwarebytes.
I'm nasdaq and will be helping you.

If you can please print this topic it will make it easier for you to follow the instructions and complete all of the necessary steps in the order listed.
===

Your logs are clean.

Can this help solve the issue?

How to Resolve Host Issues in Google Chrome
https://smallbusiness.chron.com/resolve-host-issues-google-chrome-46829.html#:~:text=A "host" issue%2C in,errors unless it is disabled.
===

If the problem persists and Chrome is Synced with other Devices reset it.

https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/258886-chrome-secure-preferences-detection-always-returns/

https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/185277

Execute the suggested fix.

Restart the computer normally.
===========

Is your problem solved?

I tried the recommended steps. The first one didn't work since I didn't even see an option under Privacy and Security in the Advanced setting to switch off "Predict network actions to improve page load performance". On the second, I turned sync off.

Re-booting does clear the resolving host problem for me, until the next morning. My guess is that a scan that is done in the wee hours is impacting the DNS is some fashion when I open a browser the next day. I have tried turning off Malwarebytes real time Web Protection, but that does not seem to help. I guess the next step is to uninstall Malwarebytes entirely, although I really doesn't want to. I am just tired of having to re-boot my computer daily to get the DNS to reset and work as it should.

Of course, if anyone has any other ideas, I am willing to listen.

• 2 weeks later...

< Pardon the intrusion >

@rplusr   Hi.   What is the Version number & Component number on the Malwarebytes for Windows ?

#2.  I recommend that you insure that it is on the very latest release.   Version 4.1.2.73  with Component 1.0.976

Start Malwarebytes.  Click Settings ( gear icon).   Look on the General tab.

Then click on the "Check for Updates" button.

Have patience.  Follow all prompts.   Then click the About tab   and see what it reports as the installed Component version.

Let us know all that.

image.png.1c231152cfbcb717d4a59fcb20083934.png

#  3.  I hope that you are Restarting Windows each day  ( or at least every other day).   Not just keeping Windows un-started from day to day.   That is to say, forever keeping it on & just relying on that.

Windows is windows  and needs to be started up  fresh on a regular daily basis.

#4 .  With the latest MB4 version the Chrome and other browsers ought not to be having "resolving host"  issues.

< /soapbox>

Sorry, it appears that the forum thread update notices were going to junk mail. Fixed that. I updated, but it appears I am still not at the most current release.

image.png.0112a97acea6d97fcb363088e6e915e6.png 

image.png

I figured there were MORE updates so I kept updating. Here is what I am left with and it matches the screen shot from @Maurice Naggar . I will wait until tomorrow to see if I still have the Resolving Host problem.

image.png.714ce8ef1955a241e10e61443442d556.png

Well the problem has not gone away entirely. This morning, I had Resolving Host delays of 20-40 seconds when opening either Chrome or Edge browsers. When going to a new URL, or opening a new tab, same thing. That is better than the 3-5 minutes I was experiencing before the Malwarebytes upgrade to the latest version. I re-booted and there was no delay. Something is happening overnight daily that is causing the Resolving Host problems. I can't think of anything else that runs overnight except anti-virus scans.

Hi.

Do you normally start the machine each day ?   ie,  that you do not stay on sleep mode/ wake   for multiple days.

Even more important,  did you get your Malwarebytes for Windows on to the current Beta ?

Start Malwarebytes.  Click Settings.  Then look on the General tab.   Scroll down to "Beta Updates".   click that to the far right.

Scroll back up to the top   and click on "Check for Updates" button.

Have patience.  Follow the prompts.

The latest beta Version is the one with Version 4.1.2.73   WITH  Component 1.0.979

My honest view  ( and from experience) is that with the latest  MB4 beta  & with regular normal Windows startups, that you will not encounter browser issues on "resolving host".

Your mention of "when opening Chrome" tends to make me think that Chrome needs some other tweaking.

Please check out https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/260935-of-web-browsers-in-general-chrome-in-general/.

Edited by Maurice Naggar

I normally restart my computer at least 1-2 times a week, however I have had to do it daily since March to get around the Resolving Hosts issue.

I did take one more look at my Chrome browser. Based on the previous posts talking about "Preload pages for faster browsing and searching", it always pointed me to a settings section where I could never find the setting. Your @Maurice Naggar: Chrome link forum post above said that they moved it and indeed they did! The setting was ON and I turned it OFF.

So let's take it one step at a time and see if changing the Chrome setting fixes the issue tomorrow. If not, I will update to the latest "BETA" version per your instructions.

OK.   Roger that.  Just to put a fine guide-point, daily starts / restarts are a tremendous help.  The electronic  bits can get over-complicated on a wake-from-sleep.

PS.  what Ron said above  ^^^^   since Chrome can get funky.

Edited by Maurice Naggar

I thought I would provide an update on my thread. After making sure that my Malwarebytes software is at the latest release and my Chrome had all the extensions turned off/removed with the Prefetch also turned off, I still need to reboot daily to get rid of the Resolving Host problem.

I then did what I felt was a drastic and unthinkable step; yesterday I uninstalled Malwarebytes completely and re-booted. Guess what I found this morning? No more Resolving Host problem! This is true for Chrome and the new Edge browser (that I think is based on Chromium).

So at least in my case, it seems that there is something that happens overnight that causes the Resolving Host problem the next day when Malwarebytes is installed and doesn't impact the browsers when Malwarebytes has been removed.

I have been a Malwarebytes supporter and user for many years and it saddens me to have to remove it from my system. If support has any other ideas, I open to try them.

Hi.   Regret the troubles you encountered.

You could just have turned off the Ransomware protection in Malwarebytes for Windows.

See this post  https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/261111-performance-issue-with-windows-10-2004/

Should you need more technical help, and since apparently you have a Premium license, you may contact Malwarebytes Support thru the Helpdesk

https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

I would just also suggest that you insure that your web browsers are protected by the Malwarebytes Browser Guard   ( free add-on )

If this pc has the Google Chrome browser, or the Brave browser, I suggest you install the Malwarebytes Browser guard for Chrome. 
To get & install the Malwarebytes Browser Guard extension for Chrome, 

Open this link in your Chrome   browser: 
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/malwarebytes/ihcjicgdanjaechkgeegckofjjedodee

Then proceed with the setup. 

If the pc has Mozilla Firefox, to get & install the Malwarebytes Browser Guard  Firefox extension. 
Open this link in your Firefox browser:    
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/malwarebytes/

That link is for English US.   There are other language version.  Just go to the very bottom right of the page and look at “Change language” list drop down.

I do wish you all the best.  Stay safe.

Sincerely.

Thank you for the reply. I don't know if the recommendations you made really apply to me since I am not at Windows 10 2004. Does it also apply to version 1903?

image.png.0eccaf94ff1f24080da022fd6c39c5d6.png

They are suggestions for all.   It is not specific to any particular Windows version.

Is there anything else that you need ?

Not at this time. Question: is the Resolving Host issue a general one or is it just me? I will monitor to see if things get fixed in a future release. 

It is not just you.  It happens to others.   It is though some condition that does not happen to the whole universe.

Keep watching the pinned topics / notices about new releases or even beta announcements.

Sincerely.

Hi Roman.

Q:  Did you check to see if the Chrome browser is now on the latest version 84.0 ?

In Chrome >>  Settings >  Help >>  About   [ or type in   chrome://settings/help    onto the address bar of Chrome ]

Then let it do its upgrade task.

+

   

You want to disable the ability of each web browser on this machine from being able to allow "push ads". That means Chrome, Firefox, or Edge browser (on Windows 10), or on Opera.  

Scroll down to the tips section "How do I disable them".  

+

I suggest you install the Malwarebytes Browser guard for Chrome.  It will keep the browser safer   ( from potential bad sites)

To get & install the Malwarebytes Browser Guard extension for Chrome,  

   

Open this link in your Chrome   browser:  

   

If the pc has Mozilla Firefox, to get & install the Malwarebytes Browser Guard  Firefox extension.  

Open this link in your Firefox browser:     

That link is for English US.   There are other language version.  Just go to the very bottom right of the page and look at “Change language” list drop down. 

Hello.   Very good that this machine has the latest Chrome version, plus now, the Malwarebytes Browser Guard.

Would you take a few minutes, and run a new set of reports from Farbar F R S T.

Run report with FRST64.     Go to the Desktop folder.

Right-click on FRST64 icon and select Run as Administrator to start the tool , and reply YES to allow it to proceed and run.

Approve the Windows UAC prompt on Windows Vista and newer operating systems by clicking on Continue or Yes. 

Click Yes when the* disclaimer* appears in FRST.
The tool may want to update itself - in that case you'll be prompted when the update is completed and ready to use.

Make sure that Addition options is *checked* - the configuration should look exactly like on the screen below (do not mark additional things unless asked).
Press Scan button and wait.

image.png.5d47975010636d1d032768cefa8d6625.png

The tool will produce 2  logfiles on your desktop: FRST.txt , Addition.txt 
Click OK button when it shows up. Close the Notepad windows when they show on screen. The tool saves the files.

Please attach these 2 files to your next reply.

Thank you.