May I suggest that its high time you had an option for scaling to, say, 125% and 150% for high DPI displays. Your interface really is too small when used on a 3840 × 2160 screen. Fortunately, one does not have to do too much on the screen with this type of software so the size is tolerable, but it would be nice were it possible to make it a bit larger. IMHO the size of the pop-ups on the bottom right is perfect but the main interface could use 125%, I believe. Thanks.

• Root Admin

As you can see using Microsoft Process Explorer our program is DPI Aware

image.png

Per-Monitor Aware: Per-monitor DPI-aware. These applications check for the DPI when they are started, and adjusts the scale factor whenever the DPI value changes. These applications are not automatically scaled by the system.

System Aware: System DPI-aware. These applications do not scale for DPI changes. They query for the DPI one time, and then use that value for the lifetime of the application. If the DPI changes, the application does not adjust to the new DPI value. It will be automatically scaled up or down by the system when the DPI changes from the system value.

Unaware: DPI-unaware. These applications do not scale for DPI changes. They are always assumed to have a scale factor of 100 percent (96 DPI). These applications are automatically scaled by the system at any other DPI settings.

From a Microsoft article about High DPI

More Information
Display scaling is a deceptively complex problem. There is no magic bullet or single fix to resolve all DPI Scaling problems. DPI Scaling benefits from continuous improvements in the core operating system, in application development models, and in applications from both Microsoft and third parties.

Different versions of Windows and application development models have different display scaling capabilities and limitations.

Each system and each person is different. Myself I choose not to scale and always run my system at 100% scaling. My wife on the other hand tries to scale at 125% and also complains about other programs (not Malwarebytes as she never opens the program, it simply runs and protects the system and I'm the one that may review it from time to time) not looking good or not scaling.

Here is what it looks like on my system. You would need to click the image to see the full size.

image.png

• Root Admin
Posted (edited)

Can you please submit a screenshot of what you're seeing @Pluto

Can you also list the manufacturer and model number of your monitor. Is it a true 4K monitor?
Please also list your video card information.

Thanks

Edited by AdvancedSetup
updated information

I run the system scale at 150% (the 'recommended' number as you can see) and I find that very comfortable for most standard apps -- MS Office, Adobe CC etc. but Malwarebytes' interface I find uncomfortably small (but not greatly so).

Monitor is genuine 3840 × 2160 using Intel on-board video hardware.

This is in interesting contrast to another machine running Windows 7 on a 1280 × 1024 display and, on that, the Malwarebytes interface is unnecessarily large and could usefully be scaled down to about 75%.

1504626971_MBscale.thumb.jpg.ef32e6cb2052ec4dab0257e1a8d0f2d5.jpg

• Root Admin

I find your current screenshot to be about the same as mine for text size. Without a full GUI update to support user customizable form size I'm not sure there is much else we can do as we are following the Microsoft recommendation and the program is High DPI aware,  but I have reported the issue to our Development team.

Thank you again for your feedback and I hope we're able to find a better solution in the near future.

• 1 month later...

I logged in just to comment on this issue.

Like the original post, I too find Malwarebytes's text and icons to be ridiculously small on my 4K monitor.  It is almost unusable.  I hate having to use MBAM now, and I think that MBAM 4 is even worse than I recall 3 being...  Like him, I also run my system scale at 150%.

Why is it that some Win 10 apps behave absolutely perfectly, having fabulously sharp and normal sized text and icons, but MBAM does not?

One (of many) examples of perfect behavior in Jebrain's IDEs (e.g. their Java one jetbrains  IntelliJ or their Python one jetbrains PyCharm).  In Jebrain's programs, you can even do awesome things with text, like hold the ctrl key and then use your scroll wheel to change size.  Super slick.

So, what are they doing correctly that MBAM is not?  Note that Jebrain's IDEs are written in Java no less.

Staff: on June 19 you wrote "Without a full GUI update to support user customizable form size...".  What Windows toolkit are you using to develop MBAM?  Some horrible old one that was written assuming a fixed or limited bitmap/DPI?  Because I cannot imagine that modern Windows GUI toolkits fail to have perfect DPI scaling behavior.

I hope that you prioritize fixing this.

I have tried the hack of opening MBAM's Properties and Override high DPI scaling behavior --> System (Enhanced).  That succeeds in makign MBAM's text and icons bigger, but now they are annoyingly fuzzy.

Edited by AdvancedSetup
removed live hyperlinks to external sites
  • Root Admin

Hello @CaptainHindsight

If you read my post #2 above you can see that our program is High DPI aware. Also shown in the screenshot below from Task Manager. The MBAMService which you do not see as it is a service running in the background is not aware as it does not have a GUI component to it.

image.png

I really do not have an answer for you as to why jetbrain programs look different. Our programs are written to support High DPI

Per-Monitor Aware: Per-monitor DPI-aware. These applications check for the DPI when they are started, and adjusts the scale factor whenever the DPI value changes. These applications are not automatically scaled by the system.

System Aware: System DPI-aware. These applications do not scale for DPI changes. They query for the DPI one time, and then use that value for the lifetime of the application. If the DPI changes, the application does not adjust to the new DPI value. It will be automatically scaled up or down by the system when the DPI changes from the system value.

Unaware: DPI-unaware. These applications do not scale for DPI changes. They are always assumed to have a scale factor of 100 percent (96 DPI). These applications are automatically scaled by the system at any other DPI settings.

More Information
Display scaling is a deceptively complex problem. There is no magic bullet or single fix to resolve all DPI Scaling problems. DPI Scaling benefits from continuous improvements in the core operating system, in application development models, and in applications from both Microsoft and third parties.

Different versions of Windows and application development models have different display scaling capabilities and limitations.

Our team does continue to review the issue though for possible updates to future versions.

Thank you for your feedback

Staff: thanks for answering me.

I was aware of your post #2.  My point is that whatever you are doing, it is not working for me!  At least, not from a default install nor if do the Override high DPI scaling behavior --> System (Enhanced) hack.  If there is another way to configure this that I have overlooked, by all means enlighten me.

Do you yourself have a 4K monitor, especially one about 27-32 inches diagonal?  If not, you definitely deserve one!  And once you try one, trust me, you will never go back.  It makes that big of a difference.  If you have one, does your default installation of MBAM actually look correctly sized to you?

By the way, it is not just IntelliJ that have perfect high DPI behavior.  Both Chrome and Brave browsers also look great on my 4K display, and like IntelliJ, both let you grow/shrink the text size with your scroll wheel.

MBAM ought to have perfect high DPI behavior out of the box, without complex configuration.  If that means using a new GUI toolkit which supports modern Win 10 APIs, then I strongly urge you to update as soon as possible.

Edited by AdvancedSetup
corrected font issue
  • Root Admin
Posted (edited)

I have the following monitor

LG 32UD59-B 32" Ultra HD 3840 x 2160 4K 2xHDMI DisplayPort AMD FreeSync Flicker Safe Anti-Glare Backlit LED LCD Monitor

https://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-32UD59-B-4k-uhd-led-monitor

If you see my top post it shows a screenshot of my settings. If you click the image you'll see it full size. I've added an updated one below as well.

I have an Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070 Ti video card

image.png

Image of Reports section within Malwarebytes. All is crisp, clear, and in focus for me, but I do not scale my monitor. Click images to see full size.

image.png

image.png

Edited by AdvancedSetup
corrected typos

Staff: thanks again for your reply.

I have a Dell Precision 7530 workstation laptop.  Its video card is an AMD Radeon Pro WX 4150 w/4GB GDDR5.  Its built in monitor is a 15" 4K.  But I mainly use a much bigger external monitor, a Dell U2718Q, which is a 27 inch diagonal 16:9 aspect ratio fake 4K (3840 x 2160) monitor.

My Win 10 Display settings are the same as yours except that I scale my monitor to 150% (otherwise the default text size is tiny).  This is the same Display settings as Pluto.

On my external monitor, your MBAM Reports image measures ~25.5 cm diagonal (I held up a ruler against my screen!).  What diagonal do you measure?

In contrast, on my external monitor, my analogous MBAM Reports image only measures ~17 cm diagonal.  So, the content of that window is much more compressed than yours.  I have attached a PNG file that is a screen shot of my MBAM Reports image.  What diagonal do you measure?

The only relevant differences that I see between your system and mine are:

1) you scale your monitor to 100%;

I would have thought that this would cause your GUI to be even smaller than mine, altho we observe the reverse

2) your monitor is 32 inches diagonal whereas mine is only 27 inches

This will indeed cause your GUI to be a bit bigger than mine, but not as big of a difference than we see

mbam.png

I have noticed that fonts look a bit fuzzier if I leave hardware acceleration enabled under the Display tab in settings.  You might try disabling it and restarting Malwarebytes when prompted to see if that makes any difference to its appearance.  I suspect that with some video cards and/or drivers, there may be issues with how text is displayed.

1 hour ago, AdvancedSetup said:

Your size matches mine exactly. I measure it as 16.3cm wide on my screen. Both your screen image and mine look very much sharp and in focus.

image.png

My MBAM GUI under my current settings definitely is sharp, it is just way too small.

If I do the Override high DPI scaling behavior --> System (Enhanced) hack, the GUI gets bigger but fuzzier.  In terms of bigness, it becomes 25.5 cm diagonal, which is a perfectly good size and is what your GUI image displays at on my box.  But the text is fuzzy, no good!

1 hour ago, exile360 said:

I have noticed that fonts look a bit fuzzier if I leave hardware acceleration enabled under the Display tab in settings.  You might try disabling it and restarting Malwarebytes when prompted to see if that makes any difference to its appearance.  I suspect that with some video cards and/or drivers, there may be issues with how text is displayed.

I just checked, and under MBAM's Settings --> Display, hardware acceleration is disabled for me.  I think that it was that way by default.

• Root Admin
20 minutes ago, John L. Galt said:

Also, have either posters used the native ClearType tuner in Windows 10?

I have not. I've tried on multiple computers before but often find that the default at least to my sight is often either the best or very close.

• Root Admin

Again, not trying to ignore or pass the buck, but this is a complex issues that even Microsoft admits to. We are following best coding practice for this from what I'm told and what shows in Task Manager
I cannot confirm or duplicate this issue on my own system. If I could though I'm not sure what else could be done. I will bring it up with the Development Team again though.

More Information

15 minutes ago, AdvancedSetup said:

Again, not trying to ignore or pass the buck, but this is a complex issues that even Microsoft admits to. We are following best coding practice for this from what I'm told and what shows in Task Manager
I cannot confirm or duplicate this issue on my own system. If I could though I'm not sure what else could be done. I will bring it up with the Development Team again though.

More Information

I think that high DPI scaling is only complex when the OS is trying to accomodate apps that were written in old GUI frameworks which assumed bitmapped graphics with a fixed or small range DPI (e.g. near 72 DPI).

If you use a modern graphics API, you should get perfect scaling behavior (for text and vector graphic images) with no effort because the graphics framework will know what your current hardware is and will auto scale everything so that it comes out at the physical size that you want while using the full pixel resolution to be crisp.

For example, all modern smartphone APIs are like this, right?  My Android smartphone has a resolution > 300 DPI I think, but I never need to set any kind of scale factor, all text and icons are rendered at the right size and look perfect.

This is known as "pixel density independence" in the Android docs:

Density independence

Your app achieves "density independence" when it preserves the physical size (from the user's point of view) of your UI design when displayed on screens with different pixel densities (as shown in figure 2). Maintaining density independence is important because, without it, a UI element (such as a button) might appear larger on a low-density screen and smaller on a high-density screen (because when the pixels are larger—as shown in figure 2—a few pixels can go a long way).

The Android system helps you achieve density independence by providing density-independent pixels (dp or dip) as a unit of measurement that you should use instead of pixels (px).

• Root Admin

Not going to argue the point. Just saying 2 different users (yourself and me) both on Windows 10 and both a completely different view of what is seen. Extrapolate that out to billions of users and millions of configurations and you can see why the article says it is a complex issue.